Name this boat please

Carl Ryan

Featured Posts

I'm pleased to hear that, Mr. T, and tickled by the ingenuity of whoever used army mess tents as windowed tarps!

But perhaps you could enlighten me: I am sure that I have read more than once (including on here) that if a wooden boat becomes hogged, that is, displays noticeable downwards curvature at bow and stern, this is comparable to a human's back being broken - there is little likelihood of repair, and the boat will be likely to perish within a short time.

Perhaps I have misunderstood "hogged", and the boat in the photo is not suffering from hoggedness? I genuinely don't know, but would like to.

I'm pleased to hear that, Mr. T, and tickled by the ingenuity of whoever used army mess tents as windowed tarps!

But perhaps you could enlighten me: I am sure that I have read more than once (including on here) that if a wooden boat becomes hogged, that is, displays noticeable downwards curvature at bow and stern, this is comparable to a human's back being broken - there is little likelihood of repair, and the boat will be likely to perish within a short time.

Perhaps I have misunderstood "hogged", and the boat in the photo is not suffering from hoggedness? I genuinely don't know, but would like to.

Wooden narrow boats (and metal ones to a lesser extent) hog because the fore and aft are less buoyant than the middle but it doesn't mean that their "back" is broken or that they are beyond repair.

A hog can often be removed by just shifting ballast about or by settling the boat on level stocks and removing all the old caulking, and replacing it nice and tight.

More extreme hogging can be fixed by putting in some long straight planks. I still have four 45' long planks that were destined to remove Usk's hog, one of the worst I've seen.... (NO, btw, to anyone who is tempted to ask).

Tar boats were particularly susceptible to hogging because they were steam cleaned before a change of cargo.

Many wooden boats have been broken up because the owners were told that the hog was terminal.

P1010867.jpg

I don't know but if anyone does know, and who owns it, I'd like to acquire it....

I thought it looked rather interesting. I wondered if it was a Walton boat. I do have a photo of its license. I do not know if that helps identify it.

The name appears to be "Chase"

P1010866-1.jpg

Carl

i was thinking Walton and Googling around turns up a thread confirming this and that it is/was owned by our very own Mike the Boilerman.

MIKE!!??

Edited to add: No it seems that he just had a look at it when it was for sale, last year.

Here's some piccies from last year's thread:

med_gallery_62_653_29346.jpg

med_gallery_62_653_17843.jpgmed_gallery_62_653_32222.jpgmed_gallery_62_653_1298.jpgmed_gallery_62_653_37010.jpg

Richard

Piece of cake. Usually people fail because they don't understand about uploading pictures

Edited by carlt

THanks Mr. T, I had heard that hogging was terminal but I'm pleased to learn that it's an urban, or marine, myth.

Hogging doers tend to make narrowboat bottom joints tighter and these need to be hardened up prior to returning to the water if the boat is docked or lifted out on the bank. Perhaps failure to do this is why hogged boats were thought to be passed repair.

i was thinking Walton and Googling around turns up a thread confirming this and that it is/was owned by our very own Mike the Boilerman.

MIKE!!??

Edited to add: No it seems that he just had a look at it when it was for sale, last year.

Here's some piccies from last year's thread:

Actually I can confirm that boat is indeed CHASE. Chase is owned by Jay price. He raised it last year but after failing to flog her to me or anyone else he allowed her to sank again. She still has his BW trade plates attached.

By pure chance I was cycling the towpath a couple of weekends ago and I passed CHASE, and Jay and mate were there, having to my surprise just finished refloating her again. They were looking pretty knackered. The only piece of equipment they appeared to have about them was a five litre plastic measuring jug, which think they used this to bale her out. I should have asked. Very much his style of doing things!

Anyway Jay said he had given up trying to sell her and was planning to take her further north to a place whose name escapes me right now. Starcoaster may remember, I told her about it at the time.

So if you are interested, she was never sold last year and I'm imagine Jay would be interested in any offers. I still have Jay's contact details if you would like me to ask him to call/email you.

Mike

So if you are interested, she was never sold last year and I'm imagine Jay would be interested in any offers. I still have Jay's contact details if you would like me to ask him to call/email you.

Any idea how much he was looking for?

£3k is a bit steep for a sinker with no engine but I should think Jay knows that.

I have his details so I may give him a ring.

I seem to remember there being two engines! Sabb twins, and both are lying around loose, i.e. not installed.

Very nice boat, just too much of an unknown quantity for me at the time, and REGINALD came along at the same time. The top is as nice as the hull, under those tarps. Solid 1" hardwood, mahogany-like timber. Smells just like my first boat. She sinks because two of the swim planks are Weetabix.

(eidted to correct spelling.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I remember seeing Chase several times (could hardly forget as MB gets all squirmy whenver we go past...) but sorry I don't recall where it was mentioned she was being taken to.

The boat on the prior page that I think was mentioned as Hesparus seems to kick out water from an engine bilge pump every time something comes past it. Moored on or near Puddlebanks (I am still not totally clear which stretch of moorings along that run are actually Puddlebanks...)

Edited by Starcoaster

£3k is a bit steep for a sinker with no engine but I should think Jay knows that.

I have his details so I may give him a ring.

I thought youd headed to the briny never to return mate? Warms me cockles to hear you thinking about freshwater again...or have I been out of the loop too long and youre building up a fleet? ;o)

I took a couple of photos of a wooden motor being rebuilt at the same yard as Lucy in Braunston but as it was dark and raining they did not come out. Which boat is this?

As we were discussing Walton boats earlier in this thread can anyone confirm if this boat is a Walton boat.

P1000971.jpg

P1000972.jpg

P1000973.jpg

Also does anyone have any other info and pictures of Walton boats.

Carl

I thought youd headed to the briny never to return mate? Warms me cockles to hear you thinking about freshwater again...or have I been out of the loop too long and youre building up a fleet? ;o)

Hi Andy. Nice to see you posting again.

The OH swore she would never go near the canals again, after Usk was destroyed but we've been walking the towpaths again, recently and she is coming back round to the idea of another narrow boat.

I really wanted Dane but I think we missed out there. A Walton with a counter stern would be very nice though.

I took a couple of photos of a wooden motor being rebuilt at the same yard as Lucy in Braunston but as it was dark and raining they did not come out. Which boat is this?

It is Clent

As we were discussing Walton boats earlier in this thread can anyone confirm if this boat is a Walton boat.

I am pretty certain Arwen is a Walton boat. I love those wooden dollies on it.

There was an excellent article about Waltons, a few years ago, in Waterways World but I forget which issue and my copy got destroyed in Usk's fire.