Name this boat please

Carl Ryan

Featured Posts

BEECH Built by F M C - Length 21.49 metres (70 feet 6 inches ) - Beam 1.83 metres (6 feet ) - Draft 0.79 metres (2 feet 7 inches ) Wooden hull, power of 56 BHP. Registered with British Waterways number 79260 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 20-Apr-2012.

BEECH Built by F M C - Length 21.49 metres (70 feet 6 inches ) - Beam 1.83 metres (6 feet ) - Draft 0.79 metres (2 feet 7 inches ) Wooden hull, power of 56 BHP. Registered with British Waterways number 79260 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 20-Apr-2012.

Acknowledgement: Information from Jim Shead's website

Did FMC actually build boats?

my understanding albeit limited, is that they commissioned them from Yarwoods, Walkers, H+W etc?

Thanks

M

width six foot ????????

I shouldn't be too surprised. Jim Shead's list has the length, width, draft, name of builder and date of last registration wrong for our boat. In fact everything except the name and Index Number!

I have discussed this with Jim, but he got the details from BW, who have recorded the wrong builder, and have converted the old imperial dimensions into metric getting the calculations wrong!

my understanding albeit limited, is that they commissioned them from Yarwoods, Walkers, H+W etc?

Thanks

M

Yes. A brief and inadequate history of the company (complete with spelling errors) can be found HERE. There are books available.

You will not find any FMC boats built by H&W.

I have discussed this with Jim, but he got the details from BW, who have recorded the wrong builder, and have converted the old imperial dimensions into metric getting the calculations wrong!

And B.W.B. only get their information from the boat owner, presumably via their boat licence application form :captain:

Thanks

M

I think you have the wrong company in mind, those names supplied the Grand Union Canal Carrying Co Ltd.

Fellows & Co built at first at Fazeley st, then as Fellows, Morton & Clayton at Saltley dock Birmingham and then at their own dock at waterloo st Uxbridge (today Uxbridge boat centre). Yarwoods was the largest metal sub builder but also Braithwaite & Kirk supplied iron boats together with Harris of Netherrton. Wooden boats came from a number of suppliers such as Lees & Atkins & Nursers.

I think you have the wrong company in mind, those names supplied the Grand Union Canal Carrying Co Ltd.

Fellows & Co built at first at Fazeley st, then as Fellows, Morton & Clayton at Saltley dock Birmingham and then at their own dock at waterloo st Uxbridge (today Uxbridge boat centre). Yarwoods was the largest metal sub builder but also Braithwaite & Kirk supplied iron boats together with Harris of Netherrton. Wooden boats came from a number of suppliers such as Lees & Atkins & Nursers.

Yes cheers Lawrence, you are correct. GUCCC fits that bill.

Many thanks Carlt. I seem to remember it from a previous thread.

Also have another picture of a wooden boat on the slipway which is well out of focus but was told it was Poplar.

If so does anyone have a photo of this bost that is in focus that they could post.

P1010854.jpg

Carl

I'm sure that we saw that one this summer - she's moored along with a couple of other older style boats, on the offside, isn't she? I don't think any of them were displaying their names. I do remember this one because she looked "hogged" and I wondered if she might be beyond repair. She looked abandoned, but one of the other boats moored near her had rather clever polythene windows built into the cloth hold coverings and looked inhabited.

Another wooden motor tied between Wigrams and Braunston. Does anyone know the name please.

P1010859.jpg

Hesperus, built by Walkers of Rickmansworth.

The butty behind is also a "Star Class" Ricky, Ariel.

I do remember this one because she looked "hogged" and I wondered if she might be beyond repair. She looked abandoned, but one of the other boats moored near her had rather clever polythene windows built into the cloth hold coverings and looked inhabited.

She's in pretty good repair and certainly not abandoned.

The Polythene windowed tarps are army surplus mess tents.

I preferred the tunnel tents that linked the big mess tents because they had no windows so I could cut my own and give them proper glass with wooden frames.

The plastic windows deteriorate quite quickly, shortening the life of the tarps.

Edited by carlt