Why no ID

Chris Hills

Featured Posts

No, there is a name and number on the licence but no identification on the boat. On some you can still see the marks on the side where the registration number plate was attached to the boat.

How do you know the licence has a name and number on , i cant read my licence without getting real close up , its not something that you would be able to read if you were just passing by surely .

Photo copy a genuine license. Take off your name and number. Job done

Or buy a boat which had a name but no name applied , BW number plate tatty & only one off - thats what we did & boated with a licence for 8 yrs until I eventually bought the vinyls with the name.

Interestingly & on par with the thread , we have had visits from BW enforcement officers several times over the years when we didnt have a name but did have a valid licence , but this yr we traversed the Soar , Trent , Tidal Trent , Stainforth & Keadby , S&SYN , Aire & Calder , Calder & Hebble , Rochdale , Ashton , Peak Forest , Macclesfield , T&M to home with a valid river licence in the window & a valid short term top up canal licence in the wallet inside the boat (they tend to melt in the window)

No one including the BW/C&RT lockies asked where our valid canal licence was ! - Guess they were too surprised to see a boat over the Rochdale summit !

How do you know the licence has a name and number on , i cant read my licence without getting real close up , its not something that you would be able to read if you were just passing by surely .

At a distance you can see if the licence has a name and number on it, it is too far away to read the detail but you can see it is there. Its a great way to get around the CaRT web page that enables you to check a boat is licences from its reg number.

I thought it is a requirement of the licence to display the boat reg number.

At a distance you can see if the licence has a name and number on it, it is too far away to read the detail but you can see it is there. Its a great way to get around the CaRT web page that enables you to check a boat is licences from its reg number.

I don't think it can be a requirement of a licence to display a BW / CaRT number (it could, however, be part of the requirement for an annual licence). The reason I think that is that I don't have a BW number because my boat has never been 'resident' on a BW / CaRT waterway - it's always been on the River Wey but is used extensively on BW / CaRT waters. I just ignore the question about my registration number and the on-line process for purchasing a licence goes ahead (not quite the same as 'displaying' I understand) but when I've been checked by the licence enforcers all they are interested in is my licence and nothing else. Accordingly my short-term licence does not display a BW / CaRT number. Boat name is clearly displayed on the licence and on the boat.

Edited to deal with early morning typos!

Edited by Leo No2

I've got a 40' tug style with very few portholes, and they are small. So if I put license and mooring permit in a porthole i've lost a lot of light. So I scanned both, shrunk them to about a quarter of the original and put those up.

Been doing it for two years, and no complaints yet.

Why have I got 'warn status' next to my post?

Yes it is. On your licence, the boat's name and BW number are printed. You are therefore displaying them if you have your licence visible. We have done it for years because our boat, which spent its first few years on the Middle Levels, did not have a number plate attached (the Middle Levels have no registration scheme).

Mike, you have a Warn Status box beside your post because we all have. If you have been a good lad, it will be empty.

Edited by Athy

I moored next to a couple of boats with no names on and no licence showing. The BW chap was talking to me and said that I'd have to move on in the next 2 days or i'd be overstaying, not a problem as I was going anyway, but he did say that the 2 boats next to me had been there months and he couldn't do much about it as they had no licence details so he didn't know who they were. This must be a good reason not to have a name/number on display.

Casp'

but he did say that the 2 boats next to me had been there months and he couldn't do much about it as they had no licence details so he didn't know who they were. This must be a good reason not to have a name/number on display.

Casp'

What do CaRT do in these circumstantial, send the boys round and try to catch them or just put enforcement notices on them and eventually tow them away.