France holiday cruise

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

Now we no longer have a dog to keep us in the UK we would like a couple of weeks holiday on the French waterways.

We have done several Waterways World Cruises plus four weeks with Robin on his barge Merganser.

We don't want to hire a boat for our selves but want looking after. I don't really fancy Viking River Cruisers but would prefer something smaller where the boat moves during the day, not while I am trying to sleep.

Isn't there a forum member who offers such cruises?

I remember some years ago the converted peniche 'Papillon' working as a hotel barge on the Canal du Nivernais (which is gorgeous). Not sure if it's still operating. You would need to learn to speak American to blend in with your fellow guests.

Looks very appealing, Mr. P - but you have to have six people and it will cost them about £4,000 each for a week!

Plus - dare I say this without being accused of heresy? - after about 2 days the Canal du Midi can get rather boring. Gosh, an endless row of plane trees. Oh look, another one....

I am not a member (of the DBA)

Hi,

I think you can view many of the DBA pages as a non-member, including the "links" section. There are several there offering cruises, but I think most of them are "cruise ships" in the sense that they are to be booked by a group rather than "hotel ships" where you can book individual cabins.

Have a look and give me a yell if I can help further.

Papillon still cruises as a hotel boat, I found their web site. They are not always on the Nivernais but usually are somewhere in Burgundy. I did not see their prices but the mention of a "Five star experience" suggests that it won't be in the Ryanair price bracket.

Looks very appealing, Mr. P - but you have to have six people and it will cost them about £4,000 each for a week!

Plus - dare I say this without being accused of heresy? - after about 2 days the Canal du Midi can get rather boring. Gosh, an endless row of plane trees. Oh look, another one....

Yes you're quite right about the C du M. We had a week in early May this year with a LeBoat hire from Homps. The Roi du Soleil moored up next to us one night, and we had a drool. The passengers were definitely getting pampered. OTOH our g&t's tasted much the same:).

I was amazed how quickly the scenery seemed to repeat itself. The others in our party looked aghast when I suggested this - they were canal noobs and loved it.

By contrast we're just back from a 3 month trip round our canals and rivers, and I can honestly say I was never bored with the journey.

OK we have been crawling the web and like the look of this one, its our type of thing and price is right.

The boat looks good as does there itinerary.

The worrying bit is the financial side.

The are obviously not a hotel boat taking paying customers.

There is no hire charge, you pay a contribution to the running of the boat for a week, a bit like me taking friends out for a week and they pay for meals out and half the diesel.

Now the question, does anyone know anything about them?

OK we have been crawling the web and like the look of this one, its our type of thing and price is right.

The boat looks good as does there itinerary.

The worrying bit is the financial side.

The are obviously not a hotel boat taking paying customers.

There is no hire charge, you pay a contribution to the running of the boat for a week, a bit like me taking friends out for a week and they pay for meals out and half the diesel.

Now the question, does anyone know anything about them?

I can't see who you are talking aabout.

That is because I forgot to put the link in, you must bare in mind I am practising by drinking lots of red wine

http://www.bargeholidayfrance.com/

After a very winey meal! I don't think I know the people or boat involved. They sound rather amateurish and naive, but it sounds ideal for what you require. Best wishes for a successful cruise.

We've shared a glass or two with Adrian and Lorna (Ariana, BargeholidayFrance) in a purely social capacity (as opposed to cost-contributed) and they are thoroughly nice people, sociable and good fun. Never dealt with them financially but they'd soon get a bit of a reputation if they pinched your money. And finding them wouldn't be too difficult as they have posted photos of themselves, contact details, their boat and dogs.

That was 3 years ago and we've been in touch infrequently by email since.

Calling them 'amateurish and naive' is a big red flag to anyone wanting information and, for everyone's benefit, requires explanation.

Papillon was moored about 20k north of Dijon on the Canal du Bourgogne a few days ago at Pont de Pany.

So, as the £ is currently quite strong against the euro, about £800 per person for the trip + half-board. It sounds like good value (you could pay that much on the UK canals for n/b hire without half-board!) and, in my view, the boat looks very handsome indeed.

Rather worried that they have "a dog who's full of beans". Try not to get downwind of it.

Calling them 'amateurish and naive' is a big red flag to anyone wanting information and, for everyone's benefit, requires explanation.

Perhaps the explanation is "rival business".

I hope you have a good holiday Ditchcrawler. When you get back I'm sure we'd all like to know how you got on and what you thought of your hosts.

Edited by blackrose

If that was true I would go with Tam and Di without a second thought.

I would suggest that is probably due to them not being, in my opinion a bonafide hotel boat. They don't charge you, you pay an agreed sum towards running expenses. I would guess that I won't have a lot of come back if things go wrong that I would have if paying 2 grand or more per head on a hotel boat.

What, pray, is the difference between them "charging you" and you "paying an agreed sum"? That's what charging is, surely, asking for an agreed sum in return for goods / services?

I don't know, its just how I read their site. maybe like people renting narrowboats in the UK without the right BSC Insurance etc.

I hope you have a good holiday Ditchcrawler. When you get back I'm sure we'd all like to know how you got on and what you thought of your hosts.

I might have known when I looked who posted that!

I don't know what your problem is. They are not our rivals in any sense whatsoever. What they do appear to be is a couple who are trying to circumvent the requirements that make you a passengerboat if you take even just one paying guest. That makes their operation rather vulnerable, especially as it is not unknown for the VNF to actually look at websites. I'm not doubting for one moment that they are very pleasant people and the boat a joy to be on.

Hi All,

Lorna here from Barge Ariana.

Thanks to friends who brought our attention to this forum and the queries and comments about ourselves and barge.

Adrian and I owned a cruiser in New Zealand prior to retiring (I got to retire real young, lucky me!) and have been on the inland waterways of Europe for the last five years. We live on board our barge and love this lifestyle.

We are not a "Hotel Barge", we are a normal every day couple who thought it would be nice to offer the ability to come cruising with us to those who wanted to experience canal cruising, in a relaxed atmosphere and without being bankrupted at the same time! We don't offer five star service just a laugh and we hope a good, enjoyable holiday.

I am somewhat alarmed to be referred to as sounding "Amatuerish and Naive" however, by people who claim to not have any personal experience of us or our boat. I, myself prefer to abide by the common courtesy of not passing judgement on anything that I have not experienced for myself. As it is, yes, Tam and Di you have met us, we actually paid you rather a lot of money five years ago for your course in barge handling and were told by you that we had the highest pass rate of any of the people that had taken the course up to that date. We were obviously not that "amatuerish" as to stick in your mind, I guess.

Promise not to run off with anyone's money....the barge doesn't go that fast!

Regards Lorna

Hi All,

Thanks to friends who brought our attention to this forum and the queries and comments about ourselves and barge.

Adrian and I owned a cruiser in New Zealand prior to retiring (I got to retire real young, lucky me!) and have been on the inland waterways of Europe for the last five years. We live on board our barge and love this lifestyle.

We are not a "Hotel Barge", we are a normal every day couple who thought it would be nice to offer the ability to come cruising with us to those who wanted to experience canal cruising, in a relaxed atmosphere and without being bankrupted at the same time! We don't offer five star service just a laugh and we hope a good, enjoyable holiday.

I am somewhat alarmed to be referred to as sounding "Amatuerish and Naive" however, by people who claim to not have any personal experience of us or our boat. I, myself prefer to abide by the common courtesy of not passing judgement on anything that I have not experienced for myself. As it is, yes, Tam and Di you have met us, we actually paid you rather a lot of money five years ago for your course in barge handling and were told by you that we had the highest pass rate of any of the people that had taken the course up to that date. We were obviously not that "amatuerish" as to stick in your mind, I guess.

Promise not to run off with anyone's money....the barge doesn't go that fast!

Regards Lorna

As you have probably realised it was me who emailed you yesterday via your web site and I hope I have the correct understanding of your operation. If we do come with you next year you can be sure that I will let everyone know our experience via my blog.

We are considering dates and the fact its a long way to come for just 6 days, but we will be back in touch.

PS. we also did Tam and Di's course and enjoyed every minute of it.

Edited by ditchcrawler

Hi All,

I tried to send a mail to you off-forum clarifying my comment, but unfortunately it is not possible until you make (I think) 5 posts. Anyway, Ditchcrawler seems satisfied, which was my main interest.