Polishing New Paintwork

Featured Posts

I know this has been covered before, but I cannot find it, and it is probably really one for Phil Speight.

As some of you will know, we have just had Helvetia completely re-painted, and we would like to try and keep the paintwork looking fresh for as long as possible. I have already decided to use Craftmaster Carnuba Wax polish, but am not sure how long we need to leave the paintwork before applying the first coat of polish. I seem to remember advice to leave it three months, but am not sure if that is correct. Also is there any advantage in using the Craftmaster Wash, which contains carnuba? do you still need to apply the wax afterwards?

I would also like to know whether we should polish the roof, which I guess is the most area most susceptable to the weather. Our roof has been painted with a satin finish which I am assured will progressively become more matt over the years, will polishing it make it become shiney (something we do not want) or will it retain is semi matt finish? We hardly ever (if ever) walk on the roof, so being a tad slippery is not really an issue.

I know this has been covered before, but I cannot find it, and it is probably really one for Phil Speight.

As some of you will know, we have just had Helvetia completely re-painted, and we would like to try and keep the paintwork looking fresh for as long as possible. I have already decided to use Craftmaster Carnuba Wax polish, but am not sure how long we need to leave the paintwork before applying the first coat of polish. I seem to remember advice to leave it three months, but am not sure if that is correct. Also is there any advantage in using the Craftmaster Wash, which contains carnuba? do you still need to apply the wax afterwards?

I would also like to know whether we should polish the roof, which I guess is the most area most susceptable to the weather. Our roof has been painted with a satin finish which I am assured will progressively become more matt over the years, will polishing it make it become shiney (something we do not want) or will it retain is semi matt finish? We hardly ever (if ever) walk on the roof, so being a tad slippery is not really an issue.

Hi David,

I think we waited about 3 months before polish, but we did use the Craftmaster wash wax prior to this that kept it looking like new; 18 months on and we still get nice comments about it. 3 months before a polish seems to ring a bell with me - but you might consider cutting this short as the onset of winter looms. John Sanderson put a raddle paint on our roof and we have just washed it, never bothered with wax.

When we had CF painted nearly 3 years age we had two top coats of lacquer applied. This makes it slightly easier to T Cut out the bush scratches. Yes I am unashamedly a "shiny boater" but, I hope without the behavior.

On taking the boat away from GBBS boat yard the painter advised me not to polish it / she / her for 3 months, 6 if possible.

Using Mr Speight's carnuba products I polish the boat twice a year, Spring and Autumn. I wash the roof but not polish it as we have anti slip applied. The roof paint where there is no anti slip, gutters etc., has not been lacquered and is susceptable to marking if mud, dead leaves, bird crap are left on, so this area gets polished / waxed to help protect the paint. I wash the boat in between times with carnuba wash.

Sad but hey ho.

Edited by Ray T

My painter told me to wait three months, and I used Craftmaster Carnuaba Wax. I haven't used the Carnuaba wash but did consider it. I have never waxed the roof as it's mostly anti-slip and probably easy enough just to re-paint when the time comes anyway.

Speak to the people who painted your boat- I'm sure they would know. Craftmaster will advise about the use of their polish.

Hi David,

I think we waited about 3 months before polish, but we did use the Craftmaster wash wax prior to this that kept it looking like new; 18 months on and we still get nice comments about it. 3 months before a polish seems to ring a bell with me - but you might consider cutting this short as the onset of winter looms. John Sanderson put a raddle paint on our roof and we have just washed it, never bothered with wax.

Hi,

I polish my boat's roof (Raddle finish) it clears any marks and I carry out a close inspection of the roof so any chips can be touched in.

M

If you polish a roof and then walk on it after rain will it not be very slippery?

It probably would, I don't allow walking on boat roofs,seen a fair few accidents involving people doing that. It's also not good for the roof/paintwork.

L.

I always walk on the roof when locking single-handed; safest way on and off the ladder.

Hi,

I do not use ladders - single handed, uphill, it's easier to enter the lock slowly, step off with a centreline as the boat glides in and climb the steps, keeping control of the boat with the centre line. Pull the boat out of the lock, timing it just right, close gate and board the boat.

Downhill, pull the boat out of the lock, shut the gate, descend the stairs and board the boat.

All the while keep hold of the boat with the centre line, quick, easy and safe.

Ladders were primarily designed as life savers if you fell in a lock, how did boaters work locks before ladders?.

Most lock ladders are wet,nasty,slippery,slimey things - a bit like modern politicians.

Leo.

Sounds like a good safe system Leo. You're right about accidents. Coming into Manchester in pouring rain after a long tiring day down the Ashton and then Rochdale nine, I slipped and fell into the boatmans cabin in the very last lock breaking two ribs on the way down on the tiller end. Two years ago and I was surprised by how much it all hurt! A lesson learnt the hard way.

Hi,

I do not use ladders - single handed, uphill, it's easier to enter the lock slowly, step off with a centreline as the boat glides in and climb the steps, keeping control of the boat with the centre line. Pull the boat out of the lock, timing it just right, close gate and board the boat.

Downhill, pull the boat out of the lock, shut the gate, descend the stairs and board the boat.

All the while keep hold of the boat with the centre line, quick, easy and safe.

Ladders were primarily designed as life savers if you fell in a lock, how did boaters work locks before ladders?.

Most lock ladders are wet,nasty,slippery,slimey things - a bit like modern politicians.

Leo.

I've used various methods and prefer the ladder. Each to their own.