A 1 week trip viewed mainly from beer gardens and cafes along the bank ?

Tony & Linda

Featured Posts

I did Shrop Union about 30 years ago and Canal Midi, South France last May.

My fantasy was to slowly cruise through cute towns, stopping frequently at cafes and beer gardens for refreshments (I am not a great beer drinker - I just like the idea of relaxing at an outdoor table, watching the canal, with a beer/coffee in my hand and a pub lunch).

Although the Midi canal was fantastic - it was mainly through farmland, the villages were distant from the canal and usually deserted during the day and there were very few refreshments along the bank apart from the occasional expensive restaurant.

Can anyone recommend the best canal in the UK for us to try this time around ?

We are looking for:

A bit of country side.

Small quaint towns near the canal. (not averse to cycling a couple of kms)

Cafes & beer gardens overlooking the canal.

Maybe the odd bit of industrial archeology or museum (that would be a bonus)

I was hoping to take a route recommended as 4 days and do it over 7 days.

Many thanks

Tony and Linda

Welcome!

If you don't mind a lack of locks, the Ashby Canal would fit the bill. Several canalside villages (with pubs), pastoral scenery, and a working preserved steam railway en route. There is a very well thought-of hire company (Ashby Narrowboats) on the canal at Stoke Golding. The canal is about 22 miles long and is connected to another canal at one end if you want to venture a little further.

You are not a great beer drinker? Do you feel a bit of an outcast in your own land? Next you'll be telling us that you don't like cricket either.

You could stay in a REALLY NICE bed and breakfast and pretend you were on a nb?! Four days travelling by boat (assuming there and back for a hire boat) is only about 10 miles. So then you have a ten mile radius to explore. Take your bikes on the car, find all the pubs/cafes beside the canals in your immediate vicinity and visit each and every one - sitting and watching the water, taking note of the environment, the types of boats and quality of the cheeriness of the boaters. All the time knowing that all you have to do in the evening is go back to a house, hot showers, no loo to empty, housework done and breakfast ready when you are!

And, on the basis of all the research, you'll know where you want to be boat-based for the next holiday.

Welcome!

If you don't mind a lack of locks, the Ashby Canal would fit the bill. Several canalside villages (with pubs), pastoral scenery, and a working preserved steam railway en route. There is a very well thought-of hire company (Ashby Narrowboats) on the canal at Stoke Golding. The canal is about 22 miles long and is connected to another canal at one end if you want to venture a little further.

You are not a great beer drinker? Do you feel a bit of an outcast in your own land? Next you'll be telling us that you don't like cricket either.

Many thanks Athy

I'll start researching it.

Re beer drinking and sports.

Sorry to shatter your illusions :-)

Most of us just live in the suburbs, work in an office in the city every day and spend the weekends going to the supermarket and mowing the lawn.

Hardly the Bazza McKenzies of Australian folklore :-)

Mind you - we do live on a 5 acre block covered in gum trees and we feed about 15 kangaroos near the back door every evening.

Tony

Four days travelling by boat (assuming there and back for a hire boat) is only about 10 miles. So then you have a ten mile radius to explore.

EH?

On a lock-free stretch, more like 40 miles. I'd hate to get stuck behind you if you manage only five miles a day.

You could stay in a REALLY NICE bed and breakfast and pretend you were on a nb?! Four days travelling by boat (assuming there and back for a hire boat) is only about 10 miles. So then you have a ten mile radius to explore. Take your bikes on the car, find all the pubs/cafes beside the canals in your immediate vicinity and visit each and every one - sitting and watching the water, taking note of the environment, the types of boats and quality of the cheeriness of the boaters. All the time knowing that all you have to do in the evening is go back to a house, hot showers, no loo to empty, housework done and breakfast ready when you are!

And, on the basis of all the research, you'll know where you want to be boat-based for the next holiday.

Thanks Jo

But I do have to admit that I like a little bit of the chaos that comes with boating.

I don't know if the link below will work - but this is what happened on our first day on the Midi.

We did improve rapidly and by the end of the week were looking semi professional - but despite the chaos it is the part of my holiday that I

remember most fondly:

http://aceware.com.au/OurHouse/EventDetail.asp?lngEventId=541

Tony

EH?

On a lock-free stretch, more like 40 miles. I'd hate to get stuck behind you if you manage only five miles a day.

I quote: "stopping frequently at cafes and beer gardens for refreshments (I am not a great beer drinker - I just like the idea of relaxing at an outdoor table, watching the canal, with a beer/coffee in my hand and a pub lunch)." :P My reply was a bit tongue in cheek though!

And, if you remember, you HAVE been stuck behind us (or were you in front?). And very worthwhile you found it too!! :D

My fantasy was to slowly cruise through cute towns, stopping frequently at cafes and beer gardens for refreshments (I am not a great beer drinker - I just like the idea of relaxing at an outdoor table, watching the canal, with a beer/coffee in my hand and a pub lunch).

Although the Midi canal was fantastic - it was mainly through farmland, the villages were distant from the canal and usually deserted during the day and there were very few refreshments along the bank apart from the occasional expensive restaurant.

We are looking for:

A bit of country side.

Many thanks

Tony and Linda

This will sound odd but the Paddington Arm of The Grand Union and The Regents Canal through central London offer a lot of what you're after. London is made up of numerous villages many still retaining their uniqueness and the canal certainly does bring the countryside into the town so its surprisingly rural in many parts. There's lots of industrial heritage and the Canal Museum near St Pancras is well worth a visit. If you're feeling adventurous you could always do a circular route taking in the Tidal Thames. Who knows, if the CaRT find a solution to the mooring problem you may even get a spot on a visitors mooring. I'm not sure if any hire companies are in the vicinity or if they would let you out on the Thames but its an idea.

Ah, point taken Jo!

No, I don't remember...please remind me. Perhaps your boat had a "proper" engine for me to gawp at, whoops, admire?

Graham, there was a hire company on the southern Grand Union, perhaps in the Berkhamsted area, but I believe they closed down several years ago. It was run by a husband and wife team, not sure what happened to them.

Edited by Athy

The k&a, hire from Devises, head east to Newbury and then back again, nicely rural and quiet but with a few nice stops, canal side pubs at Honey Street and Pewsey, nice quaint villages at wooten rivers and great bedwyn, small town at hungerford with plenty of pubs and nick nack shops, pub at kintbury, big town at Newbury. A bit of heritage at Crofton pump station and a tunnel, what more could you want in one trip?

Tsk!! Ashby, measuring stick .......

Ahhh yes, at the moorings at Carlton where that chap Gary (?)was trying to sell Staffy puppies to passers-by! That would be the trip during which we got pinned against the side by a strong crosswind when turning at the Snarestone terminus. What a superfine memory for boats you must have.

Tony and Linda must now be wondering whether every thread on this forum drifts startlingly off-topic. No, just most of them!

Edited by Athy

Ahhh yes, at the moorings at Carlton where that chap Gary (?)was trying to sell Staffy puppies to passers-by! That would be the trip during which we got pinned against the side by a strong crosswind when turning at the Snarestone terminus. What a superfine memory for boats you must have.

Tony and Linda must now be wondering whether every thread on this forum drifts startlingly off-topic. No, just most of them!

That's the one!

Back on topic (ish!). Perhaps Tony and Linda could just do a quick drive 500km south (and back again), pick up a couple of bottles of Cab Sauv from Margaret River before they come over. :cheers:

That's the one!

Back on topic (ish!). Perhaps Tony and Linda could just do a quick drive 500km south (and back again), pick up a couple of bottles of Cab Sauv from Margaret River before they come over. :cheers:

You've sampled the offerings at Margaret River ? Enjoy them ?

Tony

The k&a, hire from Devises, head east to Newbury and then back again, nicely rural and quiet but with a few nice stops, canal side pubs at Honey Street and Pewsey, nice quaint villages at wooten rivers and great bedwyn, small town at hungerford with plenty of pubs and nick nack shops, pub at kintbury, big town at Newbury. A bit of heritage at Crofton pump station and a tunnel, what more could you want in one trip?

I'll see if I can get a feel for it on Google street view.

Tony

This will sound odd but the Paddington Arm of The Grand Union and The Regents Canal through central London offer a lot of what you're after. London is made up of numerous villages many still retaining their uniqueness and the canal certainly does bring the countryside into the town so its surprisingly rural in many parts. There's lots of industrial heritage and the Canal Museum near St Pancras is well worth a visit. If you're feeling adventurous you could always do a circular route taking in the Tidal Thames. Who knows, if the CaRT find a solution to the mooring problem you may even get a spot on a visitors mooring. I'm not sure if any hire companies are in the vicinity or if they would let you out on the Thames but its an idea.

An intriguing idea.

Would need to check the issue of moorings.

Thanks

Tony

We are looking for:

A bit of country side.

Many thanks

Tony and Linda

I would agree that The Ashby would be an ideal stretch but if you wanted a few more locks then try the lowers reaches of The Staffordshire & Worcestshire canal. Little villages and canal side pubs along the way but with an odd lock here and there to break the journey up.

Alternatively the upper half of the Staffs and Worcs is utterly delightful. Anglo-Welsh have a hire base at Great Haywood Junction. Take two or three days to toddle down to Autherly Junction (is that just 10 locks or so?) turn round and toddle back again. Delightful scenery, lots of places to stop, pubs to call at, call in at Calf Heath to bother Cheshire~Rose for suggesting it in the first place.

At Autherly junction you are a bus or taxi ride away from The Black Country Museum unless you want to try The Wolverhampton 21 flight and visit it by boat which would be a two day excursion

Love Cab Sauv from Mgt. River! (We're a bit wine buffery, my husband and I)

Also, adding to Barry's Great Haywood suggestion, they could also toddle up the T&M to Etruria ... taking in fish 'n chips at the Star on the top lock at Stone or an Italian in the Restaurant on the other side of the lock. And spend a day enjoying Tixall, having bought the picnic at the Great Haywood (pricey!) deli/farm shop.

Hello fellow "Sandgroper", having done a couple of rings on the canals(Four Counties '08, Leicester '10 & Cheshire '12) I would recommend The Cheshire Ring as it has just about everything that you are looking for and more. We just loved it.

Agree with comments about the Staffs & Worcs but the M6 is a bit close north bound from Autherley much better to go south towards Stourport - good pubs nice villages, chuck in the odd stately pile like Wightwick Manor and come down to earth with a bang at Kidderminster!!! Otherwise the Caldon fits the bill, pies, second hand books, pubs, steam railway, river section etc etc.

In reality it doesn't really matter where you go - its the chance to chill out that really counts.

We are looking for:

A bit of country side.

Many thanks

Tony and Linda

This is a serious suggestion:

Whatever route you decide on, take a folding table and chairs with you. If you don't find a good pub or cafe you should find somewhere to sit canalside and watch the world go by :cheers:

Whatever route you decide on, take a folding table and chairs with you. If you don't find a good pub or cafe you should find somewhere to sit canalside and watch the world go by :cheers:

This is a great suggestion. We have on our previous two trips bought cheap folding chairs and luckily have been able to leave the last lot at some friends place not far from where we will start our next trip in 2014.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions - I now have a lot of research to do.

Many thanks

Tony & Linda

I agree.

Martyn