BCN Registration Plates

stagedamager

Featured Posts

Evening all!

Now, i know, during the past few decades, some boats were stripped of collectables, as they lay dormant. But, now as historic craft become rarer, it would be so nice to be able to re-unite craft with their "bits"!

Now this post is mainly relating to BCN registration plates. So my question would be: Private collectors could have taken some, but, did BWB, or other organisations take them and store them?

I know i am looking for a needle in a haystack, but it would be so lovely to get back BCN 1645's original plates!

So, i open it up to the room, anyone know where they all are?

Regards

Dan

Evening all!

Now, i know, during the past few decades, some boats were stripped of collectables, as they lay dormant. But, now as historic craft become rarer, it would be so nice to be able to re-unite craft with their "bits"!

Now this post is mainly relating to BCN registration plates. So my question would be: Private collectors could have taken some, but, did BWB, or other organisations take them and store them?

I know i am looking for a needle in a haystack, but it would be so lovely to get back BCN 1645's original plates!

So, i open it up to the room, anyone know where they all are?

Regards

Dan

I am as sure as I can be that B.W.B. did not remove B.C.N. gauge plates from any of their boats, several certainly had them quite recently when I was at Bradley Workshops. Most of these plates have been removed by 'enthusiasts' although loose plates can be found all over the place - including pubs and museums. I have a list of the loose plates held by the Black Country Living Museum and I can confirm BCN 1645 is not amongst them.

Of more concern is that 'enthusiasts' are still removing these plates as I am aware of some taken from museum exhibits fairly recently.

I also have a concern about reproduction plates being custom made for boat owners as sometimes the B.C.N. gauge number has not been confirmed and is only heresay. This will 'muddy the waters' as far as future research is concerned.

edit - added a '

Edited by pete harrison

Thanks for your reply Pete, i'm trying to look on the "Last Coal Run From Anglesey" DVD to see if she still had her plates then ('99) but i suspect I am fighting a losing battle. You never know, i hold out that one day they will appear on eBay or the like!!!!!

Dan

BCN Plates have changed (in design) over the years. Has anybody found a plate prior to the 1873 Registration scheme. That is a boat indexed rather than dry gauged. Whilst there has been some discussion whether the BCN had a plating system then. Smethwick Indexing station was in existence from the early 1830's and how boats were indexed does deserve further consideration.

Ray Shill

BCN Plates have changed (in design) over the years. Has anybody found a plate prior to the 1873 Registration scheme. That is a boat indexed rather than dry gauged. Whilst there has been some discussion whether the BCN had a plating system then. Smethwick Indexing station was in existence from the early 1830's and how boats were indexed does deserve further consideration.

Ray Shill

Ray,

Some of these early plates exist, they have completely semi circular ends as against the later ones with "ears" or the third series with scalloped corners. BCLM has some.

Laurence,

Has anybody recorded the numbers of these early plates?

Ray Shill

I have no idea on this Ray, I hope the BCLM still has them as its been years since I saw them. I do believe there is one still in situ on a iron joey boat but cannot remember how I came to know that.

It would be good to get a register of what plates survive.

Anotherig problem nowadays is modern boats having BCN plates which do not relate to the boat.

Reproductions are now hard to get made our plates (the final number issued) are just self adhesive ones at the moment despite having patterns & numerals getting castings made is now very dificult!

• 2 weeks later...

if a known site of an early derelict hull was known, a fish about with a magnet may fish one out?

strangely enough whilst up with a poorly dog last night I thought I would cast a plate as a Christmas present for a friend now no longer on boats using an original plate as a pattern with the number relating to his (very) old boat, if there is any demand I will make them for people, the pattern plate I have is the common one with scalloped corners.

• 4 weeks later...

I may be interested in a couple. And welcome to the forum!!

Hi, Sorry about the delay in getting back to you, been busy in the shed, if you look on e bay ( I think its under narrowboat registration / licence plates)I have put an ad and some pics of plates I have made and various combinations and styles. I don`t know when the plate shapes changed but 16473 is the number of a boat from just before 1900 and the correct shape has semicircular ends. I am expecting much pedantry from this little venture! let me know if they are of interest to you.

Regards

Richard.

Noticed these earlier. Clicky

The plate shape changed when the BCN went back to No 1 in 1921, there was an earlier plate shape (the first one) which had just rounded ends, however few of these survive due to the age.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

The plate shape changed when the BCN went back to No 1 in 1921, there was an earlier plate shape (the first one) which had just rounded ends, however few of these survive due to the age.

Thanks Laurence, hope nobody thought I was trying to slip in a crafty advert, I was trying to reply direct to `stagedamager`,not used to this forum`s buttons and thingys yet.