Wooden boats

Douglas Field

Featured Posts

Hi, my girlfriend & I have just bought a 36 foot 1976 wooden top narrow boat that we are living on in Manchester. I'd welcome any advice with regards to the roof. The structure is sound but the roof needs repainting. Is it worth replacing the canvas & applying an oil based paint, or is enough to repair any damage to the roof & use good quality paint? Any advice welcome!

Unless you are absolutely sure you can do a professional quality job, or don't mind living with a billion woodlice and earwigs and the smell of rotting plywood that you can't reach, I wouldn't epoxy a woodentop.

Retro-applying epoxy to a wooden structure doesn't stop the rot, it just hides its progress and creates a perfect environment to accelerate it.

What to do depends on what the construction method used is and what condition it is in.

You may well find that you can just patch the canvas and repaint with a good quality oil-based gloss but, often, when you start to fix a small patch you end up peeling away enough to justify a complete replacement.

If you're reskinning, and using top quality marine ply, then you can get away with canvas taping just the joints but if using exterior ply then you should cover it completely.

Thank you both for your comments. I'm inclined to take off the old canvas, assess the roof & then reapply new canvas, which doesn't seem too pricey. I've seen some calico in a shop for just over £7 a metre, though I assume I can get this more cheaply.

Thank you both for your comments. I'm inclined to take off the old canvas, assess the roof & then reapply new canvas, which doesn't seem too pricey. I've seen some calico in a shop for just over £7 a metre, though I assume I can get this more cheaply.

If it's thin dressmaking Calico then I'd try and find something more substantial.

I use old military tent canvas from Anchor Supplies in Ripley.

Yikes, I may not know wooden tops but I know my fabrics, Calico is an open weave light weight and I can't see it doing much of a job. Canvas can be bought here quite cheaply Whaleys of Bradford.

Edited by allybsc

That is cheap!

Their 18oz canvas looks particularly good value at £3.89 a metre.

Yes, we order it by by the bolt at school. Doughty's in Hereford sell good quality calico, duck and canvas. Look at the thread count which will give you a good indicator of quality as well as the weight - the higher the count, the closer the weave.

I would have thought most theatrical draperies should do it relatively cheaply, McDougall is another one, or JC joels. Whaleys is probably the best though but they all sometimes have offcuts which maybe the right size

HTH

Dan

J C Joel Linky

McDougall Linky

ETA Linkies!

Edited by stagedamager

I would have thought most theatrical draperies should do it relatively cheaply, McDougall is another one, or JC joels. Whaleys is probably the best though but they all sometimes have offcuts which maybe the right size

HTH

Dan

J C Joel Linky

McDougall Linky

ETA Linkies!

That's how I know about them, we oft bought fabric off them when I worked in telly.

I thought I recognised Harrison Ford stood next to you in your avatar.

You're Ally McBeal aren't you?

That's Bill Oddie and watch out for dancing babies!

(edited to say I should stop calling my OH Bill Oddie in public before he finds out)

Edited by allybsc

I'm getting lots of sound but differing advice about painting & repairing my wooden top narrow boat. Epoxy resin seems a good idea but folk have pointed out that this can hide & worsen any rotten wood. I'm also unsure about the cost of this for a 36 foot boat. The second option is to take off the old canvas, repair any damaged wood & then replace the canvas & paint with an oil based paint. This canvas was suggested to me & looks good:http://www.whaleys-bradford.ltd.uk/product.htm?productID=415

I'm new to canal boats & would like to sort the roof out soon, before winter sets in. I'm looking for a method that isnt too pricey that will keep the roof watertight for a few years. It's tricky at the moment with the weather as both potential solutions- epoxy resin or replacing the canvas require dry weather. Any thoughts appreciated.

I think that, without seeing the cabin top, it is very difficult to recommend one way or the other, and on a forum you will always get conflicting ideas, because what works for one, will not work for another. If it is canvas covered, and leaking, as a first i would look at stripping it back, to see what condition it is in underneath, It is absolutely right that you don't want to cover and seal moisture in.

Regards

Dan

I'm new to canal boats & would like to sort the roof out soon, before winter sets in. I'm looking for a method that isnt too pricey that will keep the roof watertight for a few years. It's tricky at the moment with the weather as both potential solutions- epoxy resin or replacing the canvas require dry weather. Any thoughts appreciated.

Painted canvas isn't too pricey and will keep the weather out for a good few years but I've already said that.

Epoxy resin over an existing wooden structure is a last resort applied to a structure that should probably be rebuilt anyway.

This is just my opinion based on the many times I've ripped off fibre-glass skins, evicted the wildlife, shovelled out the disintegrating plywood and replaced with fresh ply, canvas and paint.

If you don't trust the weather go and moor under a motorway bridge for a week.

Yes, we order it by by the bolt at school. Doughty's in Hereford sell good quality calico, duck and canvas. Look at the thread count which will give you a good indicator of quality as well as the weight - the higher the count, the closer the weave.

Hi- I have found some 12.5 oz canvas which is wide enough for the boat & some 18oz which will need 3 pieces stitching together for the width. Which would you go for?! (wooden top boat). - I'm new to canvas so don't know if 12.5 oz is sufficient. Thanks in advance.

Hi- I have found some 12.5 oz canvas which is wide enough for the boat & some 18oz which will need 3 pieces stitching together for the width. Which would you go for?! (wooden top boat). - I'm new to canvas so don't know if 12.5 oz is sufficient. Thanks in advance.

I too don't know what the weights are but you could always ask for a sample.

Personally, though, I would favour the lighter canvas with no seams. Seams mean more chance of leaks.

Personally, though, I would favour the lighter canvas with no seams. Seams mean more chance of leaks.

Thanks- a good point.

Hi, my girlfriend & I have just bought a 36 foot 1976 wooden top narrow boat that we are living on in Manchester. I'd welcome any advice with regards to the roof. The structure is sound but the roof needs repainting. Is it worth replacing the canvas & applying an oil based paint, or is enough to repair any damage to the roof & use good quality paint? Any advice welcome!

Hi,

We have a wooden topped boat of exactly the same age as yours. Rowan has a single bit of canvass (no seams) which is painted over with 4 coats of red oxide primer with a small amount of yacht varnish mixed in to water proof it... It's fairly sturdy canvas, the sort of weight you would find on a tent. So far that method has worked a treat with only minor repairs to holes in canvass. Regular painting every 2 years or so and keep an eye out for and remove bird turds as they crack the paint if left in situ. Also try not to store anything on the roof that holds moisture against the roof :)

Hope this helps

Helen