copper-clad aluminium cable

Chris Pink

Featured Posts

I notice that some suppliers are starting (or maybe I've never noticed it) to offer 'economy' copper-clad aluminium cable at around half the price of stranded pure copper - to the degree that a couple of suppliers are now badging the proper stuff 'pure copper'.

Any opinions on the use of this for marine applications?

Not sure if it has a marine application but, in the late 1980's when the price of copper rose sharply BT tried aluminum cables in it's external network.

It was ok initally but then as years passed the alloy tended to become brittle and hence created many faults. BT has since reverted to copper in the local network.

Even this is now being overtaken with fibre.

Edited by Ray T

I notice that some suppliers are starting (or maybe I've never noticed it) to offer 'economy' copper-clad aluminium cable at around half the price of stranded pure copper - to the degree that a couple of suppliers are now badging the proper stuff 'pure copper'.

It's still have greater thermal expansion than copper so trickier to connect to.

I quite like the idea of having aluminium bus bar running in conduit along the boat, makes it easy to have inverters, chargers, fuse boards wherever you want, maybe run a BT too.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

We used to use it for general wiring in houses in the 80,s when copper was mega money.

It was called COPPERCLAD (Obviously) if you put a kink in it and tried to straighten it then it could easily snap. :wacko:

It was only used for a short while then.

Aluminium is not as conductive as copper so you will need a larger cross-section for a given voltage drop/current combination. Check with the supplier/manufacturer for the correct figures and that the cable is suitable for use on a narrowboat. All the comments about kinking, snapping and corrosion potential are true, so be careful.