Sound familiar?

Tesla

Featured Posts

So, our plan to buy a narrowboat in a few years time seems to have gone awry...as of today we are the owners of a 70 foot nb by the name of Tesla. It's a rather nice 1992 Norton Canes, although a bit of a project internally. No doubt it will be, as I have seen described on here, a hole in the water to pour money down but I can't think of a better cause...

You have all been very patient with my dumb questions over the last few months, this is advanced warning that there is going to be many many more :help:

If you see us out and about please give a wave, we are on the South Oxford.

Oh, and we are quite excited :cheers:

Nice looking boat. Are you keeping the picture of Nikola Tesla it?

Hi Bill, yes we plan to keep them at this stage, one of the first tasks is to try and restore the faded paintwork.

Well done! We moor on the S. Oxford so look forward to running into you, preferably not literally.

Although she is mentioned in the Norton Canes register, I can find no links to Tesla on the internet. Have you a photo.

I see also that she had her engine replaced at NC a couple of years ago. Is there anything interesting in the engine 'ole?

Well done! We moor on the S. Oxford so look forward to running into you, preferably not literally.

Although she is mentioned in the Norton Canes register, I can find no links to Tesla on the internet. Have you a photo.

I see also that she had her engine replaced at NC a couple of years ago. Is there anything interesting in the engine 'ole?

Hi Athy,

I will try and get pics sorted out soon, there is one on Flickr here

The new engine is just an Isuzu 42. The original was, by all accounts, much more interesting, i don't know a great deal about it other than it was mid engined, bespoke and bloody noisy..

I've got a few photos at home of Tesla after she was first painted at Norton Canes, let me know if you would like a copy. They were on the website but I had a bit of a database problem a few months ago and I had to reset everything. Luckily they are all backed up, it's just a matter of having the time to put them back.

IIRC the portrait of Tesla was painted by Richard Corbett who is now based at Great Haywood Marina. I also remember her being on the cover of Waterways World a couple of years ago when she was moored at Thrupp, I think it was a December/January edition.

I've got a few photos at home of Tesla after she was first painted at Norton Canes, let me know if you would like a copy. They were on the website but I had a bit of a database problem a few months ago and I had to reset everything. Luckily they are all backed up, it's just a matter of having the time to put them back.

IIRC the portrait of Tesla was painted by Richard Corbett who is now based at Great Haywood Marina. I also remember her being on the cover of Waterways World a couple of years ago when she was moored at Thrupp, I think it was a December/January edition.

Hi Sarah, that would be great (I was going to write to you as it happens, having seen your thread reference the Norton Canes register).

I have seen the WW cover online, sadly it is fairly low res.

Thanks for the info.

Hi Sarah, that would be great (I was going to write to you as it happens, having seen your thread reference the Norton Canes register).

Thanks for the info.

Wasn't that the boat that was owned by someone in radiology (or scanners) at one of the Oxford Radcliffe hospitals hence the link with Tesla IIRC? See Tesla

I remember being told about the boat when we used to live near Oxford and IIRC it used to moor at Thrupp Canal and Cruising Club (but it is all a distant memory now so that may be carp).

Roger

Thanks for the info.

Send me an e-mail (my address is on the website) and I'll send them over.

Wasn't that the boat that was owned by someone in radiology (or scanners) at one of the Oxford Radcliffe hospitals hence the link with Tesla IIRC? See Tesla

I remember being told about the boat when we used to live near Oxford and IIRC it used to moor at Thrupp Canal and Cruising Club (but it is all a distant memory now so that may be carp).

Roger

Spot on :)

Roger

Hi Roger,

Nikola Tesla is certainly the inspiration for the AC only set up on the boat, and there maybe a Radcliffe link. Home is indeed TCCC.

Send me an e-mail (my address is on the website) and I'll send them over.

Done, thanks.

Nikola Tesla is certainly the inspiration for the AC only set up on the boat, and there maybe a Radcliffe link. Home is indeed TCCC.

Just think your self lucky they stopped at the AC system. If they'd gone into the inductive and far field stuff it'd have been far more fun!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tesla_colorado_adjusted.jpg

A truly inventive engineer.

Hi Roger,

I think that there is almost definitely a Radcliffe link because on the Flikr photo the rear panel is sign written 'Radcliffe Carrying'.....that can't just be coincidence surely?

I know people who have been well up in the hierarchy of the TCCC so I'll enquire and see if they can remember anything more.

Roger

I think that there is almost definitely a Radcliffe link because on the Flikr photo the rear panel is sign written 'Radcliffe Carrying'.....that can't just be coincidence surely?

I know people who have been well up in the hierarchy of the TCCC so I'll enquire and see if they can remember anything more.

Roger

Roger, there is a link. I know the details but I'm just hesitant to post names, jobs and the like on a public forum.

You have all been very patient with my dumb questions over the last few months, this is advanced warning that there is going to be many many more....

Keep 'em coming Laz, as if you didn't know by now, boaters love talking boats & giving advice, even when its not asked for!

:lol:

Ah well, in that case...your starter for 10...

1) any idea where I can find a replacement knob for my throttle control lever? The control panel is Isuzu if that helps?

And another one...

2) I am going to need to cut out some ply flooring to deal with a leak. On the basis that I may not be able to remove whole boards due to walls etc, what would the tool of choice be, a circular saw? Any advice greatly received as ever.

Edited by LazWoodbine

Ah well, in that case...your starter for 10...

1) any idea where I can find a replacement knob for my throttle control lever? The control panel is Isuzu if that helps?

And another one...

2) I am going to need to cut out some ply flooring to deal with a leak. On the basis that I may not be able to remove whole boards due to walls etc, what would the tool of choice be, a circular saw? Any advice greatly received as ever.

Don't know about Q1

Q2 I have one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=exakt+saw&_sacat=0 quite good at cutting holes as you can set the desired depth.

hi, i'm moored behind tesla at tooleys awaiting a bit of work from Matt, saw the previous owner emptying it today, looks a cracking nb, good luck and hope to meet you soon Candy :) (here til monday or might have a little cruise, now on canal time so no hurry)

Don't know about Q1

Q2 I have one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=exakt+saw&_sacat=0 quite good at cutting holes as you can set the desired depth.

Thanks Ray, I will try one of these.

hi, i'm moored behind tesla at tooleys awaiting a bit of work from Matt, saw the previous owner emptying it today, looks a cracking nb, good luck and hope to meet you soon Candy :) (here til monday or might have a little cruise, now on canal time so no hurry)

Candy, good to meet you this morning. Didn't think I would meet another forum member quite so quickly...

Been there, done that. It's a nice feeling, innit? :cheers:

Yes it is. We had our first night on board, it was a bit late by the time we got here so ate Chinese by torch light :rolleyes:

Spent the morning exploring lockers and cupboards and starting the cleaning. Hopefully we will head south this afternoon....

So, our plan to buy a narrowboat in a few years time seems to have gone awry...as of today we are the owners of a 70 foot nb by the name of Tesla. It's a rather nice 1992 Norton Canes, although a bit of a project internally. No doubt it will be, as I have seen described on here, a hole in the water to pour money down but I can't think of a better cause...

You have all been very patient with my dumb questions over the last few months, this is advanced warning that there is going to be many many more :help:

If you see us out and about please give a wave, we are on the South Oxford.

Oh, and we are quite excited :cheers:

Many congratulations and the very best of luck with her, sounds like a lovely boat

Rick