Ripon Canal is it OK for 60ft Boat?

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

I am presently on The Ouse and looking to go to Ripon after York. Just noticed that the Locks are 57ft on The Ripon Canal but is it like many 57ft Locks still OK for a 60ft boat?

Seemingly you can get a 60ft boat to Ripon by putting a single boat diagonally in the locks, its been mentioned on here before, I will try and find a link.

You won't be able to share with Stan though...

http://rugbyboats.co.uk/size.php

"and the Ripon Canal, can be passed with a 60ft boat, although it involves removing fenders"

Edited by The Dog House

Chris Clegg of Time Map fame did it with his boat which is 60ft 6ins.

As Martin says - gate shuffle or diagonal - consider fender removal - WATCH OUT FOR CILLS COMING BACK DOWN - you may need to descend a lock backwards on the return.

SWMBO says that she heard that there is one lock that a 60 footer can't get through. She says it might be one of the river locks. Anyone know?

Nickl

I am presently on The Ouse and looking to go to Ripon after York. Just noticed that the Locks are 57ft on The Ripon Canal but is it like many 57ft Locks still OK for a 60ft boat?

I wasn't very happy with my 57'. There is only one lock in Ripon that is particularly short, but they all seem to have BIG bolt heads sticking out of them. Just waiting to catch the stern on the rise, as you are always at an angle.

The Locky did say they had 60' on a regular basis and Ripon is well worth a visit.

There are very few moorings between York and Boroughbridge. You may have to do it in one hit

Alex

/

SWMBO says that she heard that there is one lock that a 60 footer can't get through. She says it might be one of the river locks. Anyone know?

Nickl

this maybe OXCLOSE LOCK, i had difficulty with 58' , 60' maybe possible by lifting fenders.

certainly worth a visit to RIPON.

:smiley_offtopic: how many boat owners have actually measured their boats to see if the length is correct, and from what points do you measure from ?.

it does look a beautiful and interesting stretch from what I have seen on blogs and on here, sadly something I can never experience on Old Friends, I may have to jump on someones boat eventually!!

oh, and I winded my 70plus foot boat in a 57' max winding hole this morning. pushed the nose in (after removing tomato plants), and then hauled the back end round.

Edited by matty40s

Our boat Bullfinch is 57 foot plus 2 foot 8 inches of fenders. We made it to Ripon last year easily with room to spare even in the shortest lock. Am sure a 60 foot boat would be ok if you are prepared to lift fenders if required. Ripon is well worth it. Boroughbridge is a good mooring spot too.