Alvecote Historic Boat Gathering

Featured Posts

Alvecote Marina

Aug Bank holiday Weekend (25th - 26th -27th)

Lots of Historic boats

Les Lapworth Award (Historic boats)

Illuminated boats (and generous award)

music day and night

Local real ale festival

Boaters Breakfast, BBQ and Sunday roast with all the trimmings

Boat parade

Free to all

Well those are the facts, It's the weekend before Shackerstone and following last year's success proves to be an excellent weekend of 'Boats, Bands and Beer'

If you can play an instrument, then feel free to bring it along and join in the afternoon jam sessions. (beer vouchers supplied i am told)

Over 30 Historic boats have expressed an intrest in attending and we have plenty of room for more. This year we are celebrating the first Josher Motor boat 'Linda' who has turned 100. Come and join in the celebration of the birth of bolinder's relationship with FMC at Alvecote.

Hope to see you all there

Lawrence

Count MARQUIS in.

James

We may be able to make it on Willow, as our first rally with our boat. But it'll depend on how much work on the fitout gets done first.....

Fit outs are for wimps - my Dad and I took Kismet around the first year without any lining, insulation or any other real facilities! ;)

Of course, I'll be at Alvecote too.

Mike

Fit outs are for wimps - my Dad and I took Kismet around the first year without any lining, insulation or any other real facilities! ;)

Of course, I'll be at Alvecote too.

Mike

There is not much NO lining or insulation under the cloths of Python either! I am so glad this event is not in October!

• 9 years later...
On 29/08/2012 at 13:33, cheshire~rose said:

I am still only using my phone to access the net so cut and paste, while probably do-able is beyond me.

What happened was a beautifully turned out little pride and joy cruuser called Fern had set off from the pub and it was their bridgehole. I did not witness this but numerous people did and confirmed the cruiser was actually in the bridgehole when the pair who were travelling unreasonably fast approaching moored boats did not attempt to slow at all and actually forced the cruiser back out of the bridge hole and sent them icrashing into the hedge and reeds at the side. this was accompanied by an extremely long blast of his horn which is what alerted me to the drama.The smaller boat was crewed by a couple who were not spring chickens and it must have been very frightening for them. The pair carried on past the moored boats without slowing and someone on the pub balcony shouted "you lost your waterskier" The reply from the skipper was "I'll show you speed" and he opened the throttle right up sending a wave of water over the stern deck of a boat where the engine cover was open and an engineer was working on the electrics.

The engineer lept off and ran along the towpath remonstrating with him as he unleashed a volley of vile, uneccessary foul language back at the top of his voice. As he came level with Tawny Owl yhere were a group of 7 forum members who had been eating Sue's cake By the time he reached us he was incandescent with rage and his temper was probably not helped by 7 forum members all laughing at him. Of course it was not funny at all but at the time it seemed the best way to fight his bullying. I cannot be sure but the person steering the butty looked extremely young and was working hard to control it as it lurched from the skippers exaggerated use of the throttle and tiller at speed. Some poor woman passenger int

he bow was covering her ears as they passed. I feel so very sorry for paying guests. Basil Fawlty never had a foul mouth!

I am told that if suffucient complaints about a boat with a trade licence are recieved by CART then they will revoke the licence. I am amazed this guy still has his licence. Maybe after those who witnessed his agressive and dangerous behavour on this occasion all place their complaints he may not.

Interestingly I am told one of the witnesses was a reporter from Towpath Telegraph.

@cheshire~rose 10 years on I've found the post..... A pointless post resurrection but still things like this should be remembered!

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

@cheshire~rose 10 years on I've found the post..... A pointless post resurrection but still things like this should be remembered!

The infamous reverend, I assume!

10 years, was that really 10 years?  Scary.