NB Taurus

allybsc

Featured Posts

that looks in a bit of disrepair such a shame that there are boats like that rotting on the system if only i had some money!!

To be fair, it does look to have been freshly docked and blacked, & the back cabin has been stripped back for painting.

Tim

To be fair, it does look to have been freshly docked and blacked, & the back cabin has been stripped back for painting.

Tim

I thought so too, she could be a lovely boat, and is on her way i reckon. I must not look at too many of these pictures though, i have already rescued one butty in distress this year, i have no money, no room, no time, and would have no wife if I returned with another "present" ;)

Dan

Is it for sale, then?

Tim

I'll be astonished if it is for sale. That's Trevor council's boat (and his home since the dawn of time). Beautiful Josher butty and excellent example of an unrestored-and-made-shiny real historic boat.

Mike

i'm sure your right, my eyes are not good today although i can now see everything again after the op its a bit blurred and being tired as well as my wife had her op on her back yesterday i'm a bit knackered!!

still would love to have a nice pair of boats to cruise round with!

Oh blimey, I didn't know! Best wishes to your and your mrs for a speedy recovery.

What I really meant about Taurus butty is it is in regular use as a residence and workshop and certainly not abandoned and rotting. Or it was this time last year when I last saw Trevor

Mike

I'll be astonished if it is for sale. That's Trevor council's boat (and his home since the dawn of time). Beautiful Josher butty and excellent example of an unrestored-and-made-shiny real historic boat.

Mike

Although TAURUS was bought into the F.M.C. Ltd. fleet in July 1938 it is no "Josher butty". TAURUS was built in 1927 by W.J. Yarwood & Sons Ltd., Northwich as a horse boat for Midlands & Coast Canal Carriers Ltd., Wolverhampton.

edit - You must be younger than you appear to be Mike as the "dawn in time" you refer to was only 1995 :captain:

Edited by pete harrison

Oh blimey, I didn't know! Best wishes to your and your mrs for a speedy recovery.

What I really meant about Taurus butty is it is in regular use as a residence and workshop and certainly not abandoned and rotting. Or it was this time last year when I last saw Trevor

Mike

Oops Mike, not a Josher its a Midlands & Coast!

It should be a reasonably viable boat as it is, probably quite useable for living or holidaying with a bit of tidying up even if the motive power end isn't very classy. Why the assumption that every ex-working boat that comes on the market has to be 'restored'?

Tim

Totally agree with your sentiments Tim, there soon be no "evolved" boats to be seen, they dont realize they are destroying history.

Mike

thanks mike yes i had an op 3 weeks ago for a detached retina which has been successful but i'm not back to full sight yet and Gaynor my wife has just had a spine operation, damaged 2nd bone up, been in agony for nearly 2 years finally she has some relief from the constant pain, her back is sore from the op but the pain has gone completely and she is walking (although slowly) normally for the first time in 2 years they apparently removed a large piece of bone that was twisted/slipped and pressing on a nerve lets hope that is the end of it.

Mike

Would that be Trevor the signwriter and boat painter Mike ?? If so I wondered what he was doing now. :)

Would that be Trevor the signwriter and boat painter Mike ?? If so I wondered what he was doing now. :)

Yep. He signwrote Reginald. AND he told me TAURUS is a josher.....

Looks like a josher to me too but I know nuffink....!

M

That looks a lovely spot to moor but a bit dark.I only ever see a cat when I go past[last time about 6 years ago ]

Boat looks like work in progress just like mine,probably stalled by the crap summer just like my scruffy old thing which currently resembles a floating bender. Lots of cheap tarps and blue string and faded paint.

• 2 months later...

Hi there..I am new to the forum but have followed a few links especially about my new project FMC Gorse. I bought the boat in a very sad state and for the record intend to restore the original front 35 foot and add a new fully riveted stern. The jury is still out whether it will be 70 foot or 58.5 foot,unconverted or with a tug style conversion. It will have a bolinder and will be restored back to the highest standards. I have not managed to start a blog of the restoration but there are images on my facebook page My link . I hope to have the boat finished for Braunston 2014 and will probably put the boat up for sale afterwards so I can do it all again. If anyone has any images of Water Lupin or Gorse I would be extremely grateful for my future blog