BCN108

Heartland

Featured Posts

The Longford Boat Services site has notes on the progress of BCN 108, was this the BCN own number 108. According to the company list of 1923, 108 was gauged 19694, cabin iron boat originally registered 29.10.1883 dimensions 55ft 2in by 6ft 11in, which I suppose might fit into the frigate category.

Ray Shill

The Longford Boat Services site has notes on the progress of BCN 108, was this the BCN own number 108. According to the company list of 1923, 108 was gauged 19694, cabin iron boat originally registered 29.10.1883 dimensions 55ft 2in by 6ft 11in, which I suppose might fit into the frigate category.

Ray Shill

Yep, that's old Joey :)

For full info have a look on Phobox Ltd's site

Hi Ray,

Yes there is some info on BCN108 - Or Joe, on our website, Longford Canal Services (www.longfordcanalservices.co.uk)

The website hasn't been updated for a while as it's currently going through a re-design which will be online shortly. This should hopefully include a little bit more information on the boat.

Liam

Thanks folks,

Without checking BCN records, I suspect this boat may have been built at Ocker Hill. Any thoughts?

Ray Shill

As a rider the 1923 BCN boat list quotes 150 craft numbered 1-150, the oldest was 82 19016 open iron - registed about "1874" which is a statement that Pete might want to comment on, and Martin as well no doubt!

Ray Shill

Joe is now under my care, in lease terms. I hope never to part with her! :lol:

Do you have any other photo's of the guagings Mark? Turns out Butty was only 10 numbers away from Joey, she was 118, Joe was 108

Hi Matty,

BCN108/Joe was engaged in the Denham Sand Run, as a replacement for Pete's other boat, Betelgeuse, and was paired with Arundel. I think the loading plant broke down and wasn't repaired so the boat was laid up for a time. The boat was then used on the one-off gravel run from London (Paddington) to Atherstone, again paired with Arundel for the trip.

After this the boat was at Braunston. I think at some point Pete Boyce did use the boat for storage of various tools/equipment/materials for the Lucy project, and the boat itself had work done, which included the fitting on running gear such as mast, cratch, deckboard, and also the boat had a full set of cloths fitted. Some cabin alterations were made also.

The boat was then leased by Kerry (Linnet Shipping) from Pete Boyce (Phobox Ltd) and is currently paired with Ariel (Longford Canal Services) 'oop north' providing assistance with the coal/diesel run.

More recently Joe has been employed to assist with trees being cleared locally on the Bridgewater. Due to the location where the trees are being removed, it was much easier to remove the logs by boat, and so Joe was loaded up with the first load of logs cleared from the site last week.

Hi Matty,

BCN108/Joe was engaged in the Denham Sand Run, as a replacement for Pete's other boat, Betelgeuse, and was paired with Arundel. I think the loading plant broke down and wasn't repaired so the boat was laid up for a time. The boat was then used on the one-off gravel run from London (Paddington) to Atherstone, again paired with Arundel for the trip.

After this the boat was at Braunston. I think at some point Pete Boyce did use the boat for storage of various tools/equipment/materials for the Lucy project, and the boat itself had work done, which included the fitting on running gear such as mast, cratch, deckboard, and also the boat had a full set of cloths fitted. Some cabin alterations were made also.

The boat was then leased by Kerry (Linnet Shipping) from Pete Boyce (Phobox Ltd) and is currently paired with Ariel (Longford Canal Services) 'oop north' providing assistance with the coal/diesel run.

More recently Joe has been employed to assist with trees being cleared locally on the Bridgewater. Due to the location where the trees are being removed, it was much easier to remove the logs by boat, and so Joe was loaded up with the first load of logs cleared from the site last week.

Video of the gravel run here:

Cheers,

Mike

Joe is now under my care, in lease terms. I hope never to part with her! :lol:

Do you have any other photo's of the guagings Mark? Turns out Butty was only 10 numbers away from Joey, she was 118, Joe was 108

Do you have the BCN gauging number?

As a rider the 1923 BCN boat list quotes 150 craft numbered 1-150, the oldest was 82 19016 open iron - registed about "1874" which is a statement that Pete might want to comment on, and Martin as well no doubt!

Ray Shill

B.C.N. 19016 was gauged on 03 February 1904. This boat was previously gauged as B.C.N. 7536 during the first week of May 1874. I have not seen this 1923 B.C.N. boat list, although I have seen others :captain:

The 1923 list was a typescript list produced in September 1923 in response to a survey request, I believe from the Board. They were then looking at expenditure in an age when trade was in decline and road transport, bolstered by all those ex war surplus road vehicles that came on the market and were an instant windfall for those wanting to set up as hauliers. Some firms abandoned their canal boats for road vehicles about this time also. The BCN list is a record of all boats then owned or recently disposed of. There were also 6 open iron mud tanks that also were gauged and supplied in 1923.

Ray Shill