I can't do it!

Zayna

Featured Posts

Ah yes, the great bog debate. Our boat has a cassette toilet as well. I'm thrilled. I do love a nice clean Thetford...

I believe mrsmelly is happily married, but in a different universe you could be soulmates.

To avoid other pitfalls: be sure to have the 'emergency meal' at the back of the cupboard - one tin stewing steak, one tin mixed veg, one tin potatoes for example.

Gosh, it's not just us, then: that is the exact emergency meal which we keep at the back of the galley cupboard (sometimes a tin of hot dogs replaces the tin of stewed steak). Add tomato puree to the s/s and the result tastes almost like a meal.

Does anyone have B&M Bargains stores near them? They always have tinned stewing steak on offer. Corned beef is another good stock cupboard item. I'd have been good in the 1940s, me.

Tortilla wraps are handy as well, they've a really long shelf life on them. Nice with a bit of tuna, peppers and onion.

Emergency food? I could write a book. We're seasoned motorhomers...

In boating parlance, what is meant by "emergency food" is a Fray Bentos tinned pie or a Pot Noodle.

The emergency has to be a bit dire if you're contemplating putting salt and pepper on your fellow campers, surely?

Does anyone have B&M Bargains stores near them? They always have tinned stewing steak on offer. Corned beef is another good stock cupboard item. I'd have been good in the 1940s, me.

As it happens, yes, one opened last year on the way from our village into Wisbech (our nearest town). They do indeed have some startling bargains: we like Patak's curry sauces, whch B&M sell at 75p per jar whereas Morrison's right next door, charge £1.49. I've had tinned steak from them economically too.

Their only problem is, I assume they pick up job-lots cheaply - cancelled orders, whatever. So unlike a regular supermarket, you never know if the item which you bought and enjoyed last week will still be on the shelves this week. Our local one's big mistake was ordering lots of tins of D'Aucy vegetables. The peas, green beans etc. sold out within days but could no one have told the manager that tinned brussels sprouts might not be a best-seller? They still have a shelf full of them.

If you are so "seasoned" in your motorhome, perhaps time to get the shower fixed and stock up on cheap soap from B&M?

Edited by Athy

Tinned sprouts. :sick: You just wouldn't, would you?

Are D'Aucy vegetables nice, I haven't tried them.

BTW, thank you all for your support and your suggestions, and for not making me feel like a complete numpty. And thanks for saying let you know how we get on, in fact I'm buying a new laptop as a boatwarming present to myself. Arthur Negus would be interested in my old one. I was considering an iPad but I like a proper keyboard, and there might be occasions when I actually have to work during our travels. Ergh.

I have found that google maps - if you zoom in far enough - show bus stops and also link you to the site stating where that bus goes to and timetables. Since I took the bike off prior to painting that is how I have been getting back to the car. Means I can move the boat more than 7 miles (my cycling limit - I'm a wimp). or 4 miles (my walking limit). Also by zooming in at bridges you can see if there is a layby for parking the car near the canal.

Well already, it's going a bit pear shaped.

The week I've booked off work, my chap has taken some work in for the Monday and Tuesday. So we won't get to the boat till Wednesday, and by the time we've finished fettling I reckon we'll get about three days boat moving time. He's saying he'd rather do that, than thrash it all the way back. Hardly thrashing, I said, and he pointed out that I wouldn't be standing at the tiller for seven or eight hours a day. But he says he'd rather do long weekends all "Summer" ("Summer" referring to the season rather than the weather) and take our time and do some sightseeing on the way up.

Whatever. I still think he's going to find it a pain in the ass messing about fetching the car, but I'm going to stop fretting about it and take a graidly bottle of gin and my Kindle.

It just seems that too many things are standing in the way of getting to our lovely boat. :(

Yes, it will seem that way - until that moment when you step on board, start the engine and cast off (IN THAT ORDER!).

How many days to go now?

I would love to go on Sunday to have a day fettling, but you can bet your bottom dollar something will come up. D Day is 1st August, it was meant to be Sunday 29 July. Pah.

I would love to go on Sunday to have a day fettling, but you can bet your bottom dollar something will come up. D Day is 1st August, it was meant to be Sunday 29 July. Pah.

So you've got a day fettling and a week whittling (in Northern parlance). Summer should have arrived by then - next week is already predicted to be warmer and drier than of late.

Tell him he doesn't have to stand at the tiller for 7 hrs a day, you can do some of it. There is no law against lady steerer's.

Oh, he hates me steering, but even if he's the one who steers, we don't have to do seven hours a day. I want a right good crack at the journey, and a bloody week off work to boot, not just Wednesday Thursday and Friday, what sort of a holiday is THAT?

The gin will probably be gone long before I get anywhere near this boat...

Oh, he hates me steering, but even if he's the one who steers, we don't have to do seven hours a day. I want a right good crack at the journey, and a bloody week off work to boot, not just Wednesday Thursday and Friday, what sort of a holiday is THAT?

The gin will probably be gone long before I get anywhere near this boat...

Many traditional boats (and a few newer ones I think) have 'Day Tanks' for their diesel

May I suggest that a 'Bombay Sapphire Day Tank' may be useful for the steerers mate?

Many traditional boats (and a few newer ones I think) have 'Day Tanks' for their diesel

May I suggest that a 'Bombay Sapphire Day Tank' may be useful for the steerers mate?

That sounds like a belting idea, thank you. :cheers:

Sounds like your chaps a bit of a control freak, they usually hate cats too. There are loads of em out there on canal boats bawling out orders from the helm to their other halves clutching a ropes end and windlass up the front. Quite often these types are harmless really just frightened, incontinent, and lack confidence but like to to be seen as the ''Jack Hawkins'' a steely eyed square jawed captain in charge of everything. :captain::mellow::unsure:

Such people are often viewed by others as a "Jack Sparrow" rather than a "Jack Hawkins". No reference intended to anyone on CWF, incidentally.

If Johnny Depp was steering my boat, I wouldn't be moaning...

Such people are often viewed by others as a "Jack Sparrow" rather than a "Jack Hawkins". No reference intended to anyone on CWF, incidentally.

What? permanently pissed and quite camp?