Sealed beam lamp

Boaty Jo

Featured Posts

Hello

I need a supplier for a sealed beam lamp that has the following only stamped on it:

On the front GE (presumably General Electric)

On the rear M 452

It is for a 'searchlight' on our boat and the lamp fits into a brass casing fixed in with a steel, sprung ring.

It is approx 17.5 cms diameter an d 10 cms deep including 2 screw terminals for attaching + and -

I need 24 volt if possible

Thank you, any ideas?

Jo

I bought the same type from Limekiln They told me it was a sealed beam lamp similar to the ones fitted to "older" cars like morris or MG I have never had to replace but I am sure I could find one at most auto electricians or good car spares shops. Failing that I am sure ebay could help. NOTE be sure to measure the glass there could be different sizes. Just had a thought try Limekiln Chandlers.

Loads here but most 12 volt:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Vehicle-Parts-Accessories-/131090/i.html?_nkw=sealed%20beam%20unit&_trksid=p2043143.m1602

There were only 2 sizes, 7 inch and 5 3/4 inch. You might find it easier to find a non-sealed light unit, that is, one with a hole to take a

bulb/lamp and fit a 24 volt lamp. Probably have to halogen now.

It's the sort of thing that a lot of auto electricians might have gathering dust in the stores.

Regards

Pete

Loads here but most 12 volt:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Vehicle-Parts-Accessories-/131090/i.html?_nkw=sealed%20beam%20unit&_trksid=p2043143.m1602

There were only 2 sizes, 7 inch and 5 3/4 inch. You might find it easier to find a non-sealed light unit, that is, one with a hole to take a

bulb/lamp and fit a 24 volt lamp. Probably have to halogen now.

It's the sort of thing that a lot of auto electricians might have gathering dust in the stores.

Regards

Pete

I would be looking for a 7 inch unit with a replaceable bulb, fairly common on classic cars these days

Richard

Hello

I need a supplier for a sealed beam lamp that has the following only stamped on it:

On the rear M 452

It is for a 'searchlight' on our boat and the lamp fits into a brass casing fixed in with a steel, sprung ring.

It is approx 17.5 cms diameter an d 10 cms deep including 2 screw terminals for attaching + and -

Thank you, any ideas?

Jo

Any decent motor factors should have these. Older cars like the Mini, Morris 1000, Maxi, Cortina etc. had these. For 24volt you can try truck dealers.

7" lamps come from the automotive industry, so I'd be looking for a truck main beam lamp.

7" is the size of a PAR56 lamp in the ents industry and also the size of Aircraft Landing Lights, There are a few PAR56 24v lamps in the ents industry and LOTS of different 28v PAR54 lamps in the Aircraft industry. How much power do you have available/want to consume? A 28v ACL would be easy and fairly cheap to source from a pro theatre supplier BUT it could be 250 or 450 watts -meaning it would be very bright, a fire risk at 50 paces and use a LOT of electricity.

Hello

On the rear M 452

Thank you, any ideas?

Jo

If it's a 7 inch sealed beam they are obtainable certainly in 12V most Morris Minors in std form use these for instance. You can also get 7 inch conversion units that will take halogen bulbs.

as an example, halogen unit conversion see here.

http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?sg=&pgCode=010&sgName=Search&pgName=Lighting&agCode=0002&agName=Light+Units+%2D+7%22&pCode=010.279

Edited by churchward

-meaning it would be very bright, a fire risk at 50 paces and use a LOT of electricity.

Well, that's one solution to meeting a out-of-control hire-boat in the middle of Blisworth tunnel - burn it to the ground!

MP.

If it's a 7 inch sealed beam they are obtainable certainly in 12V most Morris Minors in std form use these for instance. You can also get 7 inch conversion units that will take halogen bulbs.

as an example, halogen unit conversion see here.

http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?sg=&pgCode=010&sgName=Search&pgName=Lighting&agCode=0002&agName=Light+Units+%2D+7%22&pCode=010.279

Holden's are good but expensive!

Look around the Land Rover world, as all Series LR's used a 7" sealed beam unit, and there are plenty of conversion units to replace them with a unit with a replaceable bulb, normally a H4 type.

Craddocks or Paddocks are two good companies to try.

Holden's are good but expensive!

Look around the Land Rover world, as all Series LR's used a 7" sealed beam unit, and there are plenty of conversion units to replace them with a unit with a replaceable bulb, normally a H4 type.

Craddocks or Paddocks are two good companies to try.

Indeed they are but they were the easiest example to show I found with a link.