River Soar Upper Section goes into flood

matty40s

Featured Posts

ooh you river boaters are a different breed, I have had all sorts of boats over many years , but we stick to the "safe" canals, only bit of river I have been on was at the end of the caldon, very brave you are, but its not for me, Im a scaredy cat.

ooh you river boaters are a different breed, I have had all sorts of boats over many years , but we stick to the "safe" canals, only bit of river I have been on was at the end of the caldon, very brave you are, but its not for me, Im a scaredy cat.

River boating really is generally safe as long as you heed the forecast and the note the level indicators boards before you exit a lock into a river section.

Some of the best and most beautiful parts of the UK inland waterway system are along the Soar, you are missing out if you haven't ventured up there.

Edited by The Dog House

well, if you are on the Soar, it's river or nowt...unless you sit in a marina or only venture 40mins away to loughborough!! A very lovely river, but it rises like a snake!

Matty.....you KNOW what I meant!!!! ;)

Dropped about 6" Overnight , 2 of the 3 sluices open in Thurmaston mill pool ;

IMG_0679Small.jpg

Most access roads are still flooded between Syston & Pillings.

Cossington high due to the Wreake & Rothley Brook pour vaste amount of water in ;

IMG_0681Small.jpg

well, if you are on the Soar, it's river or nowt...unless you sit in a marina or only venture 40mins away to loughborough!! A very lovely river, but it rises like a snake!

Matty.....you KNOW what I meant!!!! ;)

The Trent is still going up and quite a flow on through Nottingham this afternoon, I couldnt take the boat under Trent bridge as there wasnt enough room. Loads a very big trees coming down today also. Still peeps all said they had a good time :)

Tim

The really concerning thing is that the EA still hadn't got the Soar as a Flood Warning, just a flood alert.

Surely if they are trying to warn people, they should do it BEFORE it actually floods, not AS it floods.

I left Sileby and drove through a foot of water in two separate stretches ( I know how to drive in a depth, but don't recommend it) to get to the A6 and the Road closed signs still weren't out.

The BW/CaRT man wasn't even sure whether he should raise the sluice gates at Thurmaston (is this even his job??)

The Soar is a BW waterway isn't it?

The Soar is a BW waterway isn't it?

Yes but the EA cover the Rivers & Flood alerts for the UK. I suppose BW close the rights to Navigation.

Folks at our Boatyard spoke to the EA yesterday & were informed that there was no chance of any local river bursting its banks.....

Hmmmm...

IMG_0685Small.jpg

IMG_0686Small.jpg

Some of the best and most beautiful parts of the UK inland waterway system are along the Soar, you are missing out if you haven't ventured up there.

No , sorry its a terrible place , floods after even 10mins of light rain , better to stay on the canal system.

We also have no pubs or facilities, locks are very difficult & most shops are a 2 hr walk away.

Phew , that should do it ! , Heaven forbid if folk found out it was nicer than the Llangollen

Oh......... Bugger...........

The River has risen again, then dropped slightly. Pearly and Wife ok and safely moored above the lock.

Unbelievably they reported a small outboard powered cruiser headed downstream earlier today. Apparently the owner has 8 weeks experience. That's a bloody steep learning curve.

• Greenie 1

The River has risen again, then dropped slightly. Pearly and Wife ok and safely moored above the lock.

Unbelievably they reported a small outboard powered cruiser headed downstream earlier today. Apparently the owner has 8 weeks experience. That's a bloody steep learning curve.

Out of Raynesway then ???? No advice from yr yard not to go out then ?

Unless they have come right down from Debdale (Doubtfull) or out on a longer cruise

Painting up the dinghy in RNLI Colours as we speak.

I was hoping to see you and your dinghy today... It's the kind of conditions you'd relish plus no need for climbing around... Just step out into whichever carpark/beer garden you choose to stop in :)

It's just started raining again!

He returned about 7.30 last night. Said he went as far as Sileby before turning around. The cruiser owner only had one leg by the way! Not a problem until you get into trouble - and no lifejackets worn. We managed to stop another cruiser from Raynesway going through the lock. There was no way he was getting under the bridge but he hadn't given it a thought.

We walked to Birstall yesterday afternoon. 9 or 10 boats there with water just over the towpath in places. All paddles on the lock open and water still coming over the top gates. Some boats low on water but had got bottles filled by householders. They were talking of joining hoses together and getting water from the pub.

The water level here at Thurmaston yesterday morning was at 1ft 9ins above the top of the amber (the gauge is marked up to 2ft) by afternoon it was over the 2ft mark but by evening down to 1ft 11ins. This morning it is at 6ins above amber so could be moving tomorrow morning.

Given the weather forecasts we might go straight through Leicester now to get above the river section. Having been held up 5 times now by flooding, we've had our fill of river for a while.

Regards

Pete

He returned about 7.30 last night. Said he went as far as Sileby before turning around. The cruiser owner only had one leg by the way! Not a problem until you get into trouble - and no lifejackets worn. We managed to stop another cruiser from Raynesway going through the lock. There was no way he was getting under the bridge but he hadn't given it a thought.

We walked to Birstall yesterday afternoon. 9 or 10 boats there with water just over the towpath in places. All paddles on the lock open and water still coming over the top gates. Some boats low on water but had got bottles filled by householders. They were talking of joining hoses together and getting water from the pub.

The water level here at Thurmaston yesterday morning was at 1ft 9ins above the top of the amber (the gauge is marked up to 2ft) by afternoon it was over the 2ft mark but by evening down to 1ft 11ins. This morning it is at 6ins above amber so could be moving tomorrow morning.

Given the weather forecasts we might go straight through Leicester now to get above the river section. Having been held up 5 times now by flooding, we've had our fill of river for a while.

Regards

Pete

It will help you steering wise as you are pushing against the current , It can flow fast under the bridge (Thurcaston rd nr the canoe centre) but once past that you should be fine (Mind the weirs above North Lock on the RH side).

Freemans Weir is now buoyed off for most of the access above , after that its just the run up through Aylestone (Can run fast in the narrows above St Marys Lock) & then home safe above Kings lock!

Would have a good days cruising , Through Leics & the Suburbs & Moor at Kilby Bridge for the night. Its around 6hrs if most locks are set , 7 if not

River Trent at entrance to Cranfleet/Trent Lock as viewed from the train this morning was over the towpath, this evening the towpath was visible. Still looked pretty bad.

Its been fun on the Trent for a few days now and keeping me on the ball !! having a day off today. Good time to get out boating at the moment as you wont need to queue at locks :cheers:

Tim

Its been fun on the Trent for a few days now and keeping me on the ball !! having a day off today. Good time to get out boating at the moment as you wont need to queue at locks :cheers:

Tim

Looking at some of the pictures you may have a bit of a problem locating some of them.

Cranfleet flood gates still closed this morning But couldn't see tonight as train not on best line for a view. River levels appear to be slowly dropping. A cruiser was moored between Cranfleet cut entrance and Trent Lock tonight.

out from Barrow, light turned green and off we all shot...or rather, off they all shot whilst I was at work....moved home without me!! :unsure:

Raining again now and forcast heavy tomorrow, so I'm guessing it will be back on red soon.

out from Barrow, light turned green and off we all shot...or rather, off they all shot whilst I was at work....moved home without me!! :unsure:

Raining again now and forcast heavy tomorrow, so I'm guessing it will be back on red soon.

Downstream ??? Should be ok if so , Kegworth straight swallows most of the water easily !! Only the Trent to worry about , Shardlow Levels are dropping , others around Notts seem to be the same !

If heading on the T&M you will fine , also if going upstream thru Aylestone, cant see any probs to be fair. We may get a trip out this weekend after all !