Fenny Stratford

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

Any where nice to moor for the night good pub?

Usually there is space on the towpath below the lock. (48H I think) The beer in the Red Lion, at the lock, was OK in late May, but the pub is 60's box architecture.

Reasonable chippy on Aylesbury St, 5 minutes from the lock. The rest of Fenny is somewhat run-down but there are loads of Indian/Chinese/Kebab "restaurants"/takeaways further along Aylesbury St.

The Plough at Simpson is not that far from Fenny and has looked busy recently when we have passed. morings near the foot of the pub garden, and Italian (I think) grub.

N

Any where nice to moor for the night good pub?

We moor at Fenny. There are usually plenty of moorings towpath side below the lock - but the Red Lion is, as already said, beer only.

I'd be looking at the Plough, at Simpson, about a mile North, or the Barge, just off Bridge 83, about 3 miles North.

Cheers

Cath

The Bridge appears to have two boats living on its moorings and a "Would you like to run this pub" sign outside so I wouldn't be over-optimistic about it.

As I live by bridge 83 I would have to recommend the Barge - but it is over an hour's cruise from Fenny.

I'd like to hear some first-hand reports of the Plough at Simpson - rumour says it's quite good nowadays. At least there is plenty of mooring space along the towpath because its mooring rings are permanently occupied by residential boats at the moment. It's some years since they got rid of the Dr Who theme, with Daleks everywhere (during which time my son got the sack from being a waiter there because he kept dropping people's food over them)

The Plough is very nice inside now.

Price shot up with the refit, but where isnt expensive anymore.

Personally not tried the food but have been told its good.

Alot less of the 'white van' trade now, last time I was in there (not long ago) it was full of Americans all over to go and see Justin Bieber, yes you read that right.

Yep, and growing!!! A lot from work frequent it, apparently it's a good night, I've only been once that I can remember!!!!

Dan

I was a little surprised to hear that one of our sixth formers is having her 18th their - the other sixth formers were also a bit surprised, especially as Fenny Stratford is quite a long way from the school.