Winding on The Huddersfield broad

NickF

Featured Posts

I am off along the HNC in a few days and think I may have to change my plans as it looks like I will not be able to get onto the Calder. The plan now is to come from Manchester, do as much of the Huddersfield narrow and Broad as possible and then return. . Does anyone know if you can turn a 57ft boat anywhere closer to Cooper bridges than Aspley basin?

Just checked in my Richlow guide (South Pennine Ring part 2) it shows a 57' winding hole above Red Doles Lock (no 9). So yes you can but you remain on the same pound as Aspley Basin.

When you've done the HNC, you'll want to do it again!

Actually, you're right.

It's just our immediate reaction when we got to Huddersfield was "phew". But it's one canal we'd love to do again. The liveaboard we came through the tunnel with does it every year.

• Greenie 1

I would be surprised if you can't use the Calder by Wednesday - no rain since Saturday means it will be heading back to normal levels (and none forecast til Thursday).

The river is indeed open as from today, so the OP can wind at Cooper Bridge.

Wrinkley wrote

We have just been through the tunnel and moored up at wool road visitor moorings. 60ft - 2' 3" draft great fun, highly recommend this canal so far will and will come again hopefully when the sun is out

So are you the boat from Norton Canes that's been following me down and is moored at Roaches at this moment?

As discussed in the pub, yes its us. And thanks again. I will look more closely at your handy work in the morning so I can do this in the future.

I've met a few Forum members, but never has it involved asking someone "Are you Wrinkley?"

Rather fortunately, you were! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

The river is indeed open as from today, so the OP can wind at Cooper Bridge.

Wrinkley wrote

So are you the boat from Norton Canes that's been following me down and is moored at Roaches at this moment?

No wrinkley we are not. We are home now but were on hire boat NB Bridie Bear from Riley Green

Thanks everyone as ever for your expertise and your replies. The Calder was open when we needed it .... we were so lucky as when picked up our hire boat at Riley Green (L and L) the rivers were shut and by the time we returned it they were shut again but in between when we needed the Calder and the ASire everything was open! But yes when we got to the end of the HNC I did feel I would like to do it again.... what a fantastic canal if a little hard work and only one dry pound!

Nick

No wrinkley we are not. We are home now but were on hire boat NB Bridie Bear from Riley Green

Thanks everyone as ever for your expertise and your replies. The Calder was open when we needed it .... we were so lucky as when picked up our hire boat at Riley Green (L and L) the rivers were shut and by the time we returned it they were shut again but in between when we needed the Calder and the ASire everything was open! But yes when we got to the end of the HNC I did feel I would like to do it again.... what a fantastic canal if a little hard work and only one dry pound!

Nick

Afew wires crossed there. I was asking Wrinkley about his identity, not him yours.

Anyhow, glad you enjoyed the HNC, unlike the 'Never Agains' I've met. It is an experience to be enjoyed again and again and again.......

Anyhow, glad you enjoyed the HNC, unlike the 'Never Agains' I've met. It is an experience to be enjoyed again and again and again.......

Yeh and the toilet and shower facilities at Slaithwaite ( Slawit if you're local ) are just peachy :wub:

Stuck at Shepley Bridge waiting for the river to go down. Yesterday evening it was like a torrent :wacko:

I will have to console myself :cheers:

We came through the tunnel just ahead of Bridie Bear and found the HNC east side to be just as brilliant as the west.

There was loads of water and the one dry pound was at 10E. Looks like a boat going up had come out on the low pound and damaged the top cill as we couldn't close the top gate. Hence the low pound above.I was surprised to find the call the BW emergency number cost 40p per minute from my moby.

The Broad is quite hard going (maybe 'cos we did 32 locks the previous day) especially the last couple of locks but at least the river was open. Will definitely do it again.