Fenders blisworth tunnel

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

Yes or no?

If you mean "dangling from the side of the boat", and if they are slender pipe ones, not large rope ones or tyres, it is wide enough you are unlikely to cause any issues as you pass others......

But I would have thought there is a very good chance of them getting ripped off, as rubbing particularly the wooden baulk that runs along the side of the "old part" is not uncommon as you pass other boats.

Your choice, but I absolutely wouldn't.

Frankly the bigger issue is when that blinding headlight approaching masks the fact that the approaching boat is not against his side, but actually 4 feet from his wall. Neither bow nor side fenders will do much to avoid the most likely hazard in these tunnels - a glancing blow of side of bow to side of bow, because the other person has failed to get themselves against their side.

But if you're talking dangling side fenders, why would you have them down at all while cruising?

Frankly the bigger issue is when that blinding headlight approaching masks the fact that the approaching boat is not against his side, but actually 4 feet from his wall. Neither bow nor side fenders will do much to avoid the most likely hazard in these tunnels - a glancing blow of side of bow to side of bow, because the other person has failed to get themselves against their side.

Indeed. The other thing that happened when I came through a few weeks ago and passed five boats going the other way, was that one decided to come to a stop as I approached, which meant his bow swung out at the last moment and there was a bit of a coming together. Side fenders won't help in that case either.

As above, fenders should only be deployed AFTER mooring !

Well of course being pedantic for a sec. - as you moor rather than after, as if you leave until after often you can't get them between the boat and the side... ;)

Definitely NOT

N

But if nobody cruised with pipe fenders down, that might not result in enough getting torn off, to provide a good source for those of us who pluck them out and "reuse" them, (for mooring only, of course!).

Wouldn't wish to have to pay for any!

• Greenie 1

But if nobody cruised with pipe fenders down, that might not result in enough getting torn off, to provide a good source for those of us who pluck them out and "reuse" them, (for mooring only, of course!).

I suspect that, good advice to the contrary or not, many boaters will continue to cruise with fenders down and rip them off in locks, so you should have an everlasting supply. I just would not want the OP to add to that supply in Blisworth. The last fender I acquired stopped the engine and then took 45 minutes to get off the blades, and that was not in the cold wet darkness of Blisworth where getting a hook into the blades would be quite difficult.

I am not though sure why you might need an ongoing supply of replacements- Sickle and Chalice obviously spend too much time moored up and wearing out pipe fenders! :D

N

There are always the ones I manage to drop unclipping them to move off. The last time, I dropped the blessed thing it hit the towpath end on and wait for it.... bounced into the cut, zut alor I cried! :glare:

I think they may be aquatic really and so are always trying to get back to thier natural habitat.

Edited by churchward

Why would you boat along with fenders dangling?

Because we are GRP & therefore obviously drunk , normally out of control in any sign of a breeze , going too fast to control the boat properly & also not looking where we are going due to having an argument with a moored nb for going too fast............

Err sure I missed some !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alan - Its worse if you have a 'Splitter' , Its too easy to get excited about a fender only to find out its a 'Tramp Cider' blue bottle :blush:

Because we are GRP & therefore obviously drunk , normally out of control in any sign of a breeze , going too fast to control the boat properly & also not looking where we are going due to having an argument with a moored nb for going too fast............

Err sure I missed some !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alan - Its worse if you have a 'Splitter' , Its too easy to get excited about a fender only to find out its a 'Tramp Cider' blue bottle :blush:

I wonder sometimes if some boaters need fenders to protect them from a chip on their shoulder...

Edited by MJG

I wonder sometimes if some boaters need fenders to protect them from a chip on their shoulder...

Not normally , but they are useful as a large float when fishing for Narrowboaters - Normally an easy catch it you use the correct bait.

Not normally , but they are useful as a large float when fishing for Narrowboaters - Normally an easy catch it you use the correct bait.

no problem - you've answered my question..

You have got to be joking....

Funnily enough , Yes !!! (Even in the first reply - Note the smiley faces!)

Rather than continue this pointless 'banter' I will publicly apologise for any offense I have obviously caused you in the earlier BBC pageant posts (As I can see no other way in which I have caused you to think I have a large GRP splinter on my shoulder)

Hopefully if we make our trip up north this year I can redress the balance by having a beer with you & talk about the real fun of boating rather than just snipe on a forum (Which can be jolly fun at times..... Ask Phylis !!!)

Humbly yours.......

Funnily enough , Yes !!! (Even in the first reply - Note the smiley faces!)

Rather than continue this pointless 'banter' I will publicly apologise for any offense I have obviously caused you in the earlier BBC pageant posts (As I can see no other way in which I have caused you to think I have a large GRP splinter on my shoulder)

Hopefully if we make our trip up north this year I can redress the balance by having a beer with you & talk about the real fun of boating rather than just snipe on a forum (Which can be jolly fun at times..... Ask Phylis !!!)

Humbly yours.......

Ok - and if so I will be happy to tell you why I find the derogatory term 'splitter' that you use so often to describe GRP boats so bloody annoying...

Ok - and if so I will be happy to tell you why I find the derogatory term 'splitter' that you use so often to describe GRP boats so bloody annoying...

Martin - At last I can find 'Common Ground' with you :cheers: I use various derogatory terms to describe my craft (Usually tongue in cheek!) on the forum as they are widely excepted within the NB forum community (Similar to Sewer Tube on GRP forums!) Never would I describe my boat to anyone face-to-face as such.

Its rare we encounter prejudice on the waterways because we are GRP but it does happen (Normally far into the canal system where cruisers are not seen) , when it does I can get a little annoyed (Usually for at least a minute!) When this happens we will either make haste away if on the river , or moor up for enough time to lose said boat (Normally not required as they wont share a lock with us!)

I know this is now becoming a topic hijack , but by your last reply have you owned a GRP craft earlier in life ?

Another Question - If due to time constraints & we cannot make it over the pennines , can you recommend a weeks cruise from say Keadby (Taking into account we cruise long days) that includes the Aire & Calder returning back to Keadby for our trip home (Havent been North for 25 yrs!)

I know this is now becoming a topic hijack , but by your last reply have you owned a GRP craft earlier in life ?

No...

Another Question - If due to time constraints & we cannot make it over the pennines , can you recommend a weeks cruise from say Keadby (Taking into account we cruise long days) that includes the Aire & Calder returning back to Keadby for our trip home (Havent been North for 25 yrs!)

To Leeds and back on the A&CN and if you have time Spotbrough and back on the S&SYN...or vice versa...