Sound Insulation

Featured Posts

I am thinking of applying some sound insulation to the engine compartment of our boat, a modern trad. A search pulls up a number of threads, but none very recent.

I don't want to have to use mechanical fixing, only glue. The thicker sheets seem to recommend mechanical fixing for inverted installation such a under deck boards. Consequently I was looking at this

http://www.asap-supp...proofing-801834

which seems to not need mechanical fixing and is a good price. But of course is thinner so will be less effective.

Any recommendations of products to use?

Hi !,

Might I suggest you type in "Marine Sound Proofing" into Google. Plenty listed there.

Another source of the suppliers used to be the magazines available for 4 x 4 Off Roading guys. Sounding proofing old Land Rovers, to cut down Road Noise from the nobbly tyres and thin body panels. Very similar stuff I believe ?

Regards

Tony

Edited by Tonyl

Hi !,

Might I suggest you type in "Marine Sound Proofing" into Google. Plenty listed there.

Another source of the suppliers used to be the magazines available for 4 x 4 Off Roading guys. Sounding proofing old Land Rovers, to cut down Road Noise from the nobbly tyres and thin body panels. Very similar stuff I believe ?

Regards

Tony

All the stuff I used on old Landrovers was like heavy felt, nothing like the stuff sold for boat engine rooms.

All the stuff I used on old Landrovers was like heavy felt, nothing like the stuff sold for boat engine rooms.

Correct, I am only interested in using the proper fireproof stuff, not carpet underlay and the like!

I have used the stuff from the OP and its quite good. A can of spray evostik works wonders for the fixing, as long as you ensure you have degreased and cleaned off the surface.

I found that it doesnt take much of a gap to undemine the effect though - you need to clad the bulkhead, the deckboards and the bits under the decking. If you can do the other side of the bulkhead it really cuts down noise in the back cabin too. Get the thicker stuff it works a lot better but its expensive. They sell edging tape which is good to finish it up.

:smiley_offtopic:

From extensive testing 2" - 3" of mud over the underside of a Land Rover and over the entire transmission also has the desired effect and is a lot cheaper. It does however result in you being banned from the local jet wash when you have to remove it!

I used the stuff the OP mentions on our semi-trad and have to say I was absolutely astounded by the noise reduction it brought. I have only so far done the underside of the flooring, and even that not completely, and under one locker so far, but the reduction has been so great that the rest is relatively low priority. I did spend a lot of time making the sheets a very good, tight fit, as I remember from my days in an acoustics company that the smallest of gaps lets noise through...

I will continue with the rest in the coming weeks - it might even save having to do the electric / hybrid conversion laugh.giflaugh.gif

Nick

:smiley_offtopic:

From extensive testing 2" - 3" of mud over the underside of a Land Rover and over the entire transmission also has the desired effect and is a lot cheaper. It does however result in you being banned from the local jet wash when you have to remove it!

Been there, got the tee shirt and even took my own broom and shovel. He still wasn't impressed.

I am thinking of applying some sound insulation to the engine compartment ... I was looking at thishttp://www.asap-supp...proofing-801834which seems to not need mechanical fixing and is a good price. But of course is thinner so will be less effective.Any recommendations of products to use?

Not so - the product has a 5kg/m2 lead laminate in it and that's what blocks the passage of sound. It should work really well.

However, make sure the deck boards fit properly or the results will be disappointing.

Edited by Machpoint005

What made the most difference on my cruiser stern was putting rubber draught excluder strip on the deck board where it sits on the bearers. Everything else I have done has produced diminishing returns at increasing cost!

Richard