New Islington Marina

RickyJB

Featured Posts

They have water again now? Have a berth there but am out and about in Cheshire at the moment.

Was there 2 weeks before getting an itchy tiller arm. It's cheap and the people there seem a good bunch. Being the wrong side of the Rochdale 9 for diesel and pumpout is a bit of a pain if you want to move about. Lock 84 is an absolute swine right now, water pissing through the bottom gate so it's not really a casual trip back.

Blimey and there was me thinking they were building a new marina in Islington, for people who wanted to moor in north London.....

Probably to fool recently relocated BBC staff that Ancoats is like Islington.

They have water again now? Have a berth there but am out and about in Cheshire at the moment.

Was there 2 weeks before getting an itchy tiller arm. It's cheap and the people there seem a good bunch. Being the wrong side of the Rochdale 9 for diesel and pumpout is a bit of a pain if you want to move about. Lock 84 is an absolute swine right now, water pissing through the bottom gate so it's not really a casual trip back.

Probably to fool recently relocated BBC staff that Ancoats is like Islington.

I was up there today and there was plenty of water in the canal. They are just finishing off the works to the new footbridge so the towpath should be open again soon.

Are there plans to have diesel and pumpout at the marina?

Manchester has a history of nicking London place names, i.e. Piccadilly, Oxford Steet and New Islington, going back to the 1840s. To my mind New Islington is in Ancoats, which sounds much more Manc.

I went looking at it earlier this year and was horrified. I'd've put up with it for the sake of a mooring; even though the cats would have hated it, but with construction work scheduled to continue next to the "marina" for the next decade I doubt it will make for a peaceful escape for a long time to come. I sorely douBt I'd've been happy there!

Have they replaced the Harris fencing next to the health centre yet? It was fastened together with split film polyprop (the blue stuff BW use to tie boats up) when last I passed and the local kids had evidently sussed how flimsy it was.

As an aside, isn't there a pump out on the mooring?

Considering its 5min walk to all the shops and the centre of Manchester, it's a great place to moor. As far as I know there is/will be a pump out. Diesel is delivered by a vanman/lady who also bring coal in winter. It's all new and modern, and the construction on the mooring side is finished..but they'll be working on the far side for some time. They haven't opened it to the public yet, but cctv cameras seem to be put in place. Considering Castlefield is on the Bridgewater, I dont think there's another marina in the area as close to the centre of the city...anywhere else. Picadilly Village has no services, so the marina should be the place most boats stop at overnight I'd think...elsan, washing machines, toilets, shower etc. I think it's got a great future...and Manchesters a great city. Even if we had to go CC-ing down south, we wouldnt let our Manchester home mooring go very easily.

I'd've put up with it for the sake of a mooring; even though the cats would have hated it,

There's actually a lot of dogs and cats at the marina already.....all looking very happy...our cat is in his ELEMENT.

I went looking at it earlier this year and was horrified. I'd've put up with it for the sake of a mooring; even though the cats would have hated it, but with construction work scheduled to continue next to the "marina" for the next decade I doubt it will make for a peaceful escape for a long time to come. I sorely douBt I'd've been happy there!

Not sure it will ever count as a peaceful escape, it's going to be very urban. Which is sometimes what you need. I am treating it mostly as somewhere handy for the winter.

Have they replaced the Harris fencing next to the health centre yet? It was fastened together with split film polyprop (the blue stuff BW use to tie boats up) when last I passed and the local kids had evidently sussed how flimsy it was.

It's a little better than that. There are gates now at least. The locals have figured out they can just shimmy along the side to get round them though.

As an aside, isn't there a pump out on the mooring?

Yes, but it was knackered.

I dont think there's another marina in the area as close to the centre of the city...anywhere else.

I trust you mean in Manchester... I am a refugee from a mooring that was much closer to a city centre than NIM and that was more to save the hassle of getting bothered to move further than was convenient for work.

You're right (although 5 minutes is a forgivable exaggeration) about the convenience aspect but I wonder whether your cat ever gets off the pontoons. Mine would take ages to get used to it!

BTW " not open to the public" depends on adequate fencing; which there isn't...

And... there's a lot of locks between NIM and anywhere else!

is the diesel van/man Brian on Alton perchance?

Or has Liam widened his scope? All the lovely Petcoke could make up for a lot of sins...

Edited by Smelly

• 1 month later...

Considering its 5min walk to all the shops and the centre of Manchester, it's a great place to moor. As far as I know there is/will be a pump out. Diesel is delivered by a vanman/lady who also bring coal in winter. It's all new and modern, and the construction on the mooring side is finished..but they'll be working on the far side for some time. They haven't opened it to the public yet, but cctv cameras seem to be put in place. Considering Castlefield is on the Bridgewater, I dont think there's another marina in the area as close to the centre of the city...anywhere else. Picadilly Village has no services, so the marina should be the place most boats stop at overnight I'd think...elsan, washing machines, toilets, shower etc. I think it's got a great future...and Manchesters a great city. Even if we had to go CC-ing down south, we wouldnt let our Manchester home mooring go very easily.

There's actually a lot of dogs and cats at the marina already.....all looking very happy...our cat is in his ELEMENT.

Dean, PM sent :)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am hopefully moving in to NIM towards the end of the year. Havent seen in person yet, but my hopes are really high. I am excited about moving to Manchester but really want to stay living afloat. I was omn a great London mooring for about 4 years.

For those living down there, whats the atmosphere like? Is there much of a community? How are the facilities? Is it safe?

Thanks!

I dont think there's another marina in the area as close to the centre of the city...anywhere else.

Salthouse dock ? The Wilk i am sure was offered BW mooring in there , but is it a marina ? 100 metres from Liverpool One in the city centre.

Hi,

I am hopefully moving in to NIM towards the end of the year. Havent seen in person yet, but my hopes are really high. I am excited about moving to Manchester but really want to stay living afloat. I was omn a great London mooring for about 4 years.

For those living down there, whats the atmosphere like? Is there much of a community? How are the facilities? Is it safe?

Thanks!

The atmosphere among the boaters is great. Animals are welcome. Services and closeness to the city are good. Shops are near. Extra gates and security has been added to kick out members of the public from the "private" area in the evenings. On hot days, their are more kids around but they haven't been coming near the private moorings. Most of the days in the UK are cold, and the park is generally empty 90% of the time....great for boaters...as it's very quiet...geese, swans etc. There have been some instances on the visitor mooring section in the past, but it's definately not a daily thing....mostly kids on hot days. The police are focusing on any issues boaters raise, and the cctv camera is ready to zoom in on anything any boater might report as being suspicious. There's definately a type of neighbourhood watch where boaters look after each others boats. (on the private mooring side). Some of the new private moorings which only come online in a month or so, may not be grouped with the main group of boats, and may need to be more cautious. There is also some new fancy housing planned around the marina, which will improve things to some extent on the public side....The marina is relatively away from pubs, and most visitors to the park are moms and kids, or people walking their dogs....unfortunately it only takes a single instance of some kids rocking a visitor boat, or jumping on to a visiting widebeam (2 days ago) which can taint an otherwise lovely place. In the 8 months we've been here, there hasnt actually been any serious physical danger....or theft etc...mostly a few rude kids......the "untoucheables"....but like I say...things do seem to be under control now that various parties have been brought in. It's definately more safe than mooring your boat on a towpath somewhere....I'd say...

• 1 month later...

£89pmth

Which bumps the fees over 3k pa?

A right to one spot on a mooring comes at a premium doesn't it?

I'm almost sorry to be so down on NI but it strikes me as a tremendously bad idea... If Urban Splash had moderated their fees to reflect the increased cost of Ctax I might not be so narked, but they haven't and it ends up charging an arm & a leg for a relatively insecure mooring in the middle of a building site.

Or maybe this is the new face of mooring in a city centre everywhere and I should stop griping!!!

I'm almost sorry to be so down on NI but it strikes me as a tremendously bad idea... If Urban Splash had moderated their fees to reflect the increased cost of Ctax I might not be so narked, but they haven't and it ends up charging an arm & a leg for a relatively insecure mooring in the middle of a building site.

Or maybe this is the new face of mooring in a city centre everywhere and I should stop griping!!!

I'm a resident on New Islington Marina, my mooring fees ( for 57' boat) are £1710 pa, council tax is £884.66 so a bit short of £3000 pa at £2594.66, imho not bad for city moorings.

I'm a resident on New Islington Marina, my mooring fees ( for 57' boat) are £1710 pa, council tax is £884.66 so a bit short of £3000 pa at £2594.66, imho not bad for city moorings.

Have they come down a bit? I priced it at about 2200 for 58 when I visited but am prone to bad sums.... Central Brum are in that kind of range tbh so I should probably wind my neck in...a bit ;)

Have they come down a bit? I priced it at about 2200 for 58 when I visited but am prone to bad sums.... Central Brum are in that kind of range tbh so I should probably wind my neck in...a bit ;)

Don't know if they have come down, I've only been here 2months, I should have added that fellow moorers are a good bunch which is priceless wink.gif

I should have added that fellow moorers are a good bunch which is priceless wink.gif

We visited with another NB on our trip over the summit during 1st week Sep - We found Ben the Caretaker very helpful , the facilities excellent & everyone there was friendly & great !

Saw the kids give the security guard a run around for a while when he wanted to swing the bridge, they then climbed around the fence but left shortly after (I suspect no-one chased them so no fun to be had!)

Have to say after the trip over the top we found it a welcome haven & with the kind use of the facilities a much better visiting option than Picadilly.

As residential mooring are not that common and not always subject to council tax, I guess it doesn't get much consideration. My daughters is at Uni and doesn't have to pay council tax but one person in the house does, the tax was originally imposed at the full rate but should have had the single person discount 50% applied. This of course applies to any dwelling including narrow boats, so if you are on your own start applying.

Ken

There have been no issues to talk about at New Islington marina for the past 2 months now...and with the colder months approaching, doubt there'll be many visitors till next July, when they will all come out for the few hot days....:) I think they've gotten bored of looking at boats now, and everything seems to have settled down nicely. The police left a book to report any issues....about 2 months back....it's still empty :)

I visited the marina the other day. Parked up across from the health centre/methadone dispensary. Trod on a used condom as I got out of the car to read the anti-development placards lining the road. I'm sure it is very convenient for the city and I don't doubt the fab nature of the current liveaboards but I thought it was a soulless place. Not for me.

Just in case anyone thinks I'm a complete arse for mentioning the methadone centre I am a local lad brought up in Clayton and very aware of the local issues and know quite a few local users of the "community pharmacy".