Slow Boat To Chester

Featured Posts

Excellent marketing strategy Ches! Everyone needs to buy a bag of coal to keep the sun shining!

For Brekkie you could do worse than trying along the road from the Bridge of Sighs over the canal at Northgate. There's a posh deli / cafe on your left as you head to the cross or there is a good old fashioned cafe on the left somewhere near opposite the library.

Good pubs in Chester include: Old Harkers Arms: good beer & food (canalside), The Cellar Bar: good beer & live music (v close to canal), Union Vaults: friendly local, good beer & bagattelle!, Albion Inn; quirky, good beer & home cooked food.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info - thankfully Adrian looked at your post after I had shut down the PC!

I was on a bit of a mission to find a bottle bank! It appears with so many councils now doing kerbside recycling there are far less recycling points around and about. Google had suggested there was one by Iceland (next to the canal) but I took my bottles for a walk around their car park and found it is no longer there. I had spotted a mutli recycling bin (4 different flaps) by some flats along side the canal just before we moored up so this morning I took the bottles for another walk. I also took the cans and the paper/carboard with me. When I reached the recycling point it was for paper/carboard and plastic bottles! I had decided it was not worth saving plastic bottles on this cruise because it was unlikely we would find anywhere to recycle them! I then took mt bottles for a walk back to Carrie~Lou. By now I was starting to think it might be easier to get leads for them and give them names. I don't know how easy it is to housetrain bottles though?

After we dealt with the wee problem of Dave locking us out of the boat (with keys still aboard) we had a walk up to the posh cafe and had a coffee but they only do a bacon sarnie there. Although they looked amazing Tina had set her heart on a full English so we moved on. We got sidetracked by The Cheese Shop where we all bought a scrumptious selection of rather good cheeses then found the "old fashioned cafe" but by then it was coming up to midday and it seemed we might as well have brunch. WE then seemed to draw a blank on anywhere serving a full English so Tina suggested an Italian English in the form of Spaghetti Carbonara would suit her well :P

We found Carluccio's and had a wonderful meal then rstocked the pantry on the boat at Tesco before we picked up Lemontoes who had joined us to assist with the staircase. There was a boat coming up the staircase so we did the classic swap in the middle routine which was a first for us. Another guy had walked down to lockwheel and there were a pair of motorcyclists and a dutch cyclist among the gongoozlers who were extremely keen to assist with opening and closing gates as soon as they recieved instruction of when to do it by one of the experts holding a windlass and so a great time was had by all. I almost forgot in the melee of lockwheeling that there was a bottle bank tucked round the corner in the club by the top lock so I took my bottles for a last walk and bid them a fond farewell as I dropped them through the hole. With them went any potential concerns about what names I should give them.

We chugged on out into the countryside and tied up. Lemontoes bade us farewell and walked back to get her car. We got picnic tables out, wine, olives, the scrummy cheese selection, rustic bread and Adrian cooked up some yummy chilli garlic prawns and we sat and watched the light fade.

Right now am up typing this at stoopid o'clock in the morning because I feel like I am better and need to get on with my life no time to sleep - chest infection? what chest infection :) ........ ok so I will probably regret this at 4pm this afternoon but the birds are singing and I need to take my camera for a walk

I will leave you with a photo from last night:

550696_10150878441789070_1120920204_n.jpg

I took my camera for a walk and my binoculars too. There was the most amazing dawn chorus this morning:

542413_10150879610024070_685704069_9241584_755323908_n.jpg

I did not realise when I took this photo that I had captured one of the songsters at the top of the dead tree.

One thing about walking along the towpath so early is that it is much easier to spot any disturbance to the water and twice I spotted a small "bow wave" coming toward me on on the opposite side. Each time I stood still and trained my binoculars on the creature making the wave. I am presuming they must have been mink, certainly appeared very dark, almost black and the second one was not shy at all. :(

The sunrise was stunning this morning with the mist over the canal. As I walked back I slowed as rounded a bend and I saw a heron poised about to catch something. The heron spotted me and took off but as he did so about 3 feet from where he had been fishing a fish leapt out of the water and landed on the towpath! I know nothing about fish but I think it may have been a roach? It was probably about 8-10" long. I should have taken a photo of it but I was rather shocked at seeing it jump out like that and was in a rush to get it back into the water. I guess everyone will think it is a fishy story but it was certainly one that got away (unless a mink got it later :( )

Thank you Bazza. I took a lot of photo's yesterday. It was about being in the right place at the right time and it is not often I find myself out walking in such a lovely place at 5.30am!

We eventually moved the boats just a very short hop along the canal and moored up for Chester Zoo where we spent the afternoon. Both Dave and I were amazed that the walk up to the zoo and around the site was not only possible for him to do but he apparently coped with it without playing his foot up.

I last visited that zoo around 25 years ago when my girls were small. I have deep seated doubts about animals being kept in zoos but I think in more recent history zoos have mostly become far better at doing what they do best and while there is something slightly sad about seeing a white rhino sharing an enclosure with a few rabbits and a mallard I know if it were not for such rhino's being kept in enclosures around the world then they would probaby be extinct now. I have to say that Chester Zoo inpressed me as much yesterday as it did 25 years ago. The landscaping and gardens around the site are beautiful and full of a lot of very unusual plants and shrubs (many of which were in bloom) The planting reflected the native plants from the areas where the animals originate from in many cases too. Lots of animals enjoying the sunshine yesterday and from our point of view very few children to spoil our enjoyment! :rolleyes:

A tip for anyone planning to visit. Wear bottle green. If possible trousers, polo shirt and a baseball cap all in green. That is the uniform of the keepers and when any of the animals saw one of them you got an amazing reaction :)

Today we will move on and have booked the 3 boats in at Ellesmere Port. We are all looking forward to that.

I will leave you a couple of photo's

One from the other day in Chester when we caused it to appear like rush hour:

481219_10150879450309070_685704069_9240972_31299793_n.jpg

The other from the zoo moorings where we are now:

36562_10150881061694070_685704069_9246466_10170046_n.jpg

Edited by cheshire~rose

You are in the right place at the right time! You're on a canal with perfect weather forecast for at least the rest of the week and I'm green with envy as I'm stuck at work for the next ten days. Watch the weather change when we go boating the week after next!

Hello, this is my first post, i hope you don't mind me butting in!

Boyfriend and I went from Preston Brook to Ellesmere Port last summer and i am loving all your photos! The early morning sunrise looks lovely and brings back memories! Thank you and have a great rest of the trip!

Hi, I've been reading your adventures with interest, we went to Ellesmere port at Easter and had a fine time. I deliver to an industrial estate in Ellesmere port a few times a week and have been looking out for you. I saw you today about 12(ish), it looked like you'd just arrived but I didn't have time to stop and introduce myself. I was back in the port again about 4(ish) but I couldn't see you, I don't know wether you had left, or had gone down into the pound. Anyway I hope you continue to have fun on your journey, keeping us all informed of course. Take it easy. Paul

Oh Skywatcher! What a shame, we are now down in the port (moored opposite The Holiday Inn) I think us girls are likley to have a wander into the town this morning but the lads are going to take another look at a few of the exhibits in the museum. We think we will probably stay here another night and then get back to Chester in one hop.

The gate to the zoo was open, we tried our hardest to claim reduced entry fee like that offered to people who arrive on cycles. We had after all arrived via the cycle path and not by car! Adrian was kicking himself because he could have given Tina a backie up there and got money off!

On the way down the locks Tina was asked what cargo she was carrying by a visitor to the museum :lol: She got a strange look when she advised it was a cargo of Italian Greyhounds.

This museum is a wonderful place. We did not have a lot of time to have a thorough look around yesterday but will probably have another look today. They were working to raise a sunken widebeam yesterday. They need to move a butty out of the workshop that is due to head down to London and the sunken boat was in the way. Iparticularly loved the engine shed:

540558_10150885374429070_685704069_9259239_1833482205_n.jpg

The smell in there reminded me of the specially blended fragrance that Richard (RLWP) created for my birthday a few years back called "Engine Room" for Women. I took several photo's in there and now, if I sniff my fragrance while I look at them it will make it all the more real! There was a poster in there asking for volunteers for the days when they run the engines.............. :wub:

I am glad people are enjoying reading my ramblings. If anyone else gets a chance to say hello then we look forward to meeting you.

Glad you're enjoying the Port. If you are after sustenance this evening, most of the local pubs are a bit rough round the edges, but you can usually a reasonable pint in the local 'Spoon the Thomas Telford up past the station on the left. For a curry the Agra Fort is good quality & service and there fixed menu deal is excellent value. It in a side road on the left before the station.

Good to see the coal you bought is still working it's sunshine magic! :-)

Good to see the coal you bought is still working it's sunshine magic! :-)

Indeed, the bag is still sealed and is likely to stay so until around October now :)

Apologies for the lack of updates. The intenet signal on board at Ellesmere Port was dire and when we moved out Dave had to get on with catching up with some work and so there was no chance for me to update this cruise diary.

Talking to other boaters we were surprised that so few seemed to realise that the entry fee into the museum also covers overnight mooring for your boat in the basin (secure gates operated by a BW key) If you choose to stay more than one night (as we did) then you can pay an additional fee at reception. I think it was £4 a night?

If you do moor in the basin it is worth noting there is a laundry just a short walk from the back gate - Home & Dry‎

63 Merseyton Rd. CH65 2AW 0151 355 1317. They did me a service wash while Tina and I wandered up into the town to "do" the charity shops. It was good to catch up on washing, I have been doing bits most days but as soon as there are a couple of pars of jeans in the mix it gets a bit silly to try and do it all by hand on board when it can be washed, dried and folded straight from the dryer into a pack just the right size for my shopping trolley for just £6.42 :) There is also a proper greasy spoon cafe next door!

The odd thing was that Tina and I found so many fantastic bargains in the charity shops in the town that I probably did not need to do any washing after all! We now need a bigger wardrobe!

All 3 of our boats were moored on an arm in the basin which although shared with other boats there did not seem to be anyone around and so Adrian & Tina's dogs and cats could be allowed on the finger of grass without bothering anyone and we fired up a BBQ and drank our on board stocks of alcohol. I think the fella's found "Spoons" while getting bored waiting for us girls to finish shopping :)

At The Museum they managed to get the widebeam floated and had moved the pump on to the next one in line. They are just putting the finishing touches to this beauty:

533408_10150888022884070_140041685_n.jpg

The signwriter is due to return on Monday to complete the bow and in 2 weeks it will be heading south so I am sure this will be a sight to behold once out and about on the system.

We headed off back into Chester and spent another very pleasant evening there. We decided to leave setting off up the 5 locks until around 3pm in the hope the sun might start cooling down by then but those beams were just as heavy as ever! I had a man and 3 ladies gongoozling at one lock. They stood and watched me heaving on the gate to try and open it. When I had finally managed it one woman said "If I were you I would have got him to do that bit" I replied "If you were me then you would know he was recovering from an operation and should not be doing it" I was so tempted to add "and if I were you I would not be standing back and watching someone struggle when I could have helped" but thought better of it! Another gongoozler dropped a paddle for me but stood and watched me struggle closing the gate - ok rant over! Those 5 wide locks into Chester are very heavy gates though!

We moored up last night at Bridge 109 and had a lovely meal at The Shady Oak. The towpath is heaving with boats here and we were very lucky to slot all 3 boats in. There were another 3 arrived just after us too. The Shady Oak was much busier last night as people are on the caravan park adjacent and plenty of boats plus the sunshine and it being Friday meant the beer garden was full. The food was very good and value for money and the beer was good too.

We have set an alarm to get off early this morning. We would like to get ahead of the hire crews leaving when we reach the staircase.

We plan to get up to a place which I think is called "Cool Pilot" - a sort of picnic moorning. Dave and Adrian are doing nothing to assist my poor little brain in remembering the name of it because Dave refers to it as "Cool Runnings" and Adrian refers to it as "Cole Porter" They are mad! :wacko:

We plan to spent a day or so there doing a few jobs to the boats. Adrian has mucho power and a plethora of tools which he says Dave can make use of so we might actually make some progress with the roof of Carrie~Lou!

The fact that there has been an alarm set to ensure we are up for an early start means that I was up at stoopid o'clock so I have at least managed to catch up with this thread.

I will leave you with another photo I took in "The Albion" In Chester. :lol:

301758_10150888653534070_1849145975_n.jpg

Really enjoying your travels, finally took semi retirement yesterday and plan to head off from Foxton Thursday for our first extended cruise and we were not aiming to go as far as Ellesmere but will do now. Really looking forward to the freedom of time travel where I don't have to travel to anyone's time but mine...

Talking to other boaters we were surprised that so few seemed to realise that the entry fee into the museum also covers overnight mooring for your boat in the basin (secure gates operated by a BW key) If you choose to stay more than one night (as we did) then you can pay an additional fee at reception. I think it was £4 a night?

Last time we went up there, about three years ago, we arrived mid afternoon and enquired about mooring. we were told there was no problem, just go down and find a space. They said if we wanted to go round the museum the next day to go to reception and buy a ticket. The overnight mooring was apparently free.

We plan to get up to a place which I think is called "Cool Pilot" - a sort of picnic moorning. Dave and Adrian are doing nothing to assist my poor little brain in remembering the name of it because Dave refers to it as "Cool Runnings" and Adrian refers to it as "Cole Porter" They are mad! :wacko:

Coole Pilate. And it's lovely there, although I imagine it's packed given the weather. We only ever stopped there in the winter when we had the place pretty much to ourselves!

Really enjoying your travels, finally took semi retirement yesterday and plan to head off from Foxton Thursday for our first extended cruise and we were not aiming to go as far as Ellesmere but will do now. Really looking forward to the freedom of time travel where I don't have to travel to anyone's time but mine...

I am glad you are enjoying my ramblings!

I know you will enjoy your own trip even more - be sure to post a cruise blog so we can all enjoy your trip too!

[/size][/color]

Last time we went up there, about three years ago, we arrived mid afternoon and enquired about mooring. we were told there was no problem, just go down and find a space. They said if we wanted to go round the museum the next day to go to reception and buy a ticket. The overnight mooring was apparently free.

They are remarkably relaxed about it and to be honest if we had not made a point of going over and paying for our second night then I suspect we would not have been chased for it but we believe these places need all the contributions they can get and seeing the work they are doing we were more than happy to contribute

Coole Pilate. And it's lovely there, although I imagine it's packed given the weather. We only ever stopped there in the winter when we had the place pretty much to ourselves!

That will be the one!

We have actually stopped just short of there at Hack Green. The sun has got the better of us today and everyone is suffering a little. We will pop in and have a look at the Secret Bunker in the morning and then move on. Hopefully by Sunday lunchtime a few people will have moved on and there will be some space for us.

We have had a good day and working through the locks this morning was good fun. Adrian & Tina went ahead of us this time so it meant I had to reset the locks but we soon realised there was another boat following just one lock behind so we turned the lock for them and helped them lock up so we could do the rest together. A smashing couple on a boat called Top Dog.

Us girls were perfectly happy to work the locks while the fella's had a chat at their tillers and our work was punctuated by messages from Adrian over the walkie talkie advising on the situation regarding on coming boats from his vantage point at the next locks.

He had advised a large male group on a hire boat that there would be two boats waiting to come into the lock after the boat ahead of them left so not to turn it but we came round the bend to see them closing the gates. I jumped off and headed to the lock. Thankfully the guys saw us and had already started to turn it back to our favour. They admitted that it was possible someone in their party had been told not to turn the lock but there were so many of them and there was a lack of communication - they were great lads, I hope they have a great party tonight. :cheers:

Then we got to Bunbury Staircase and we were all set for some great entertainment. Tina and another boat were going up the lock and a large hire boat full of a very large stag party were coming down and would cross over in the middle. The guys had cans of beer and were enjoying themselves in the sunshine. They did not show any signs of being drunk and were a very friendly and cheerful group of chaps that just needed us girls to give them some direction about whether they should be opening paddles or closing gates - there were so many of them it made light work of the job. The lady of Top Dog told me she had not laughed so much in ages they were so much fun! At the top there was "shinyboatman" in fact his boat was not particularly special or expensive looking but it was immaculately presented and it seemed clear it was his shiny boat and he had "shinyboatman syndrome" (If there is not such a syndrome known to the medical profession then I think it deserves some research because most boaters will recognise the symptoms when they see them) Mrs Shinyboatman advised me they had declined locking down with jovial party boat because they were tyrants who had been drinking and there was no way they wanted to be associated with "that" type of boater. She even asked me whether I had had a drink! I advised my Earl Grey was cooling down on the stern of the boat and as it was black it might be considered to be strong but it did not contain any alcohol. Adrian was now bringing his boat up the staircase with the intention of crossing with Shineyboatman on the way down. As Tina had already left the top and Dave and Mr Top Dog were holding their boats among the many hire fleet at the bottom myself and Mrs Topdog set about working the locks. Mrs Shinyboatman stood beside the lock and held onto the rope. At no point was there any strong current or any likelihood of one as they decended but she stood holding the rope limply while we worked the lock for her! I tried to suggest to Mrs Topdog that perhaps we ought to back off a bit and see if she was actually prepared to do anything herself. As the boats swapped I went on up to wind the paddles at the top for Adrian. He held up his rope and asked me if I would hold it for him :P Then he said "Oh no it's ok look I can hold it myself!" :lol:

As he was almost ready to leave the lock I saw there was another boat approaching to come down. As I walked back down the locks I called to ShineyBoatman to advise him that if he wanted to share the next 5 locks with someone then it might be worth him waiting at the next lock as there would be another boat along. Then I got the benefit of both barrels unleashed - Why the expletetive would he be remotely interested in another boat behind him. What was I suggesting that we turn the entire staircase so this other boat could catch up? I calmly told him I was not suggesting any such thing but I was aware he had been reluctant to share the locks with the boat ahead of him but if he wanted to share the burden on the next 5 locks with another boat then he could do so if he just went slowly to the next lock and waited for them to join him. His reply was "Why the (expletetive) would I want to do that? I doing give a flying expleteive about anyone behind me. At which point the other lady lockwheeling told him it was quite obvious he did not care about anyone else or they might have actually helped work the locks instead of stand there and watch everyone else do all the work. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I walked away and towards Mrsshineyboatman who was waiting to open a gate (grief!) I said I thought she would have been glad of some assistance working the locks. She looked puzzled so I told her about the boat at the top and what her other half had just said to me. She was fuming. She said when she got back on board she was going to give him what for :clapping: I It was only then that the penny dropped and she realised that us two woman had been winding paddles and opening and closing gates and yet neither of our boats had even entered the staircase yet. She had assumed we were with boats that had already gone up. She was most apologetic. I wished her a pleasant trip as she walked away and she retorted "With him? You have to be joking"

It has been a fun day. We have met lots of really nice people at locks. We have met lots of boaters who like to become gongoozlers when there is a queue at locks (I worked 6 boats through one lock at Hack Green, the two ahead of us, our three and one coming down) There were a further two boats behind us with 6 crew (travelling together) and they just watched......................!

It just makes me smile. I am so glad that I do actually feel fit enough to work 6 boats through a lock - only 2 weeks ago I had grave doubts if I had the strength to work a single lock.

That is something to celebrate :cheers: Being able to laugh at the odd misery guts who provides such brilliant entertainment along the way is something else to celebrate :cheers: This gorgeous weather is something esle to celebrate :cheers:

If we manage to get moorings for 3 boats at Cole Porter/Cool Runnings/ Coole Pilote tomorrow then I will celebrate some more

• Greenie 3

I used to be surprised when people didn't come up to the lock to help, but now I'm more surprised when people do. At Hurleston a couple of years ago we helped about four boats in each direction before it was our turn, yet everyone else just lingered next to their boats. Isn't chatting to people at locks one of the nicest bits of a journey?

Brilliantly told Jan, all it needs is a Youtube video of Mr Shinyboatman

What you mean name and shame???? You will have noticed I mentioned nothing that might have identified the boat or people in question but if they read it they will recognise themselves!

I do hope they enjoy their cruise and manage to "lighten up a little"

In fact it all got very interesting just back from us at Hack Green this morning with queues of around 9-10 boats in either direction - I set off with my windlass to go and see if I could help. Of course by the time I had chatted to almost everyone in the queue the "Dave & Adrian" search party arrived to try and locate me and in fact I had only got around to winding one paddle! Oh well I showed willing :rolleyes:

This afternoon it is way too hot to do anything. We ae tucked on the end at "Cole Porter" hoping that maybe a couple of boats head back to the marina around tea time and we can shuffle up a little. If not we will shuffle up tomorrow. We will probably stay here a couple of nights

Hi Cheshire Rose. I looked out for you yesterday as you will have passed us on our mooring at Henhull, but didn't see a Carrie-Lou. Maybe you waved 'incognito'!

Not surprised there was a big queue at Hack Green, it has been like the Jubilee flotilla going past the last couple of days.

Hi Cheshire Rose. I looked out for you yesterday as you will have passed us on our mooring at Henhull, but didn't see a Carrie-Lou. Maybe you waved 'incognito'!

Not surprised there was a big queue at Hack Green, it has been like the Jubilee flotilla going past the last couple of days.

Oh No! You would not have seen a boat called Carrie~Lou because it is only called that in our heads (and in the heads of the large majority of our friends)

She has the name "Aquagem" on her side just in case anyone else is looking for us - sorry we missed you