Roses, Castles etc

Featured Posts

I am sorry if this has been asked before but I need some advice.

I am considering decorating some of my boat with 'traditional' painting - fore and aft doors with Roses and Castles, Jugs and Casks with similar themes, and the bows with the name. My question is - what paint do you advise using so that it withstands the weather, and what brushes to use? Also - is it better to paint on removable wood (or acrylic sheeting) which is then attached to the doors? If so what wood would you suggest? Any other related suggestions would be much appreciated. I know a professional would do a better job, but I would like to have a go!

Thanks,

John

Hi

As a professional signwriter and narrowboat decorator, I suggest that you use Craftmaster Decorative Flat Colour, avaailable from Craftmaster paints or some chandleries...google Craftmaster to find their list of local stockists near you. You can start with 5 basic colours, I'd suggest white, black, bright red, chrome yellow and blue. Other colours can be mixed as needed.Despite what others may say, small pots of Humbrol are useless. I've run classes in painting for years and all of the students who have tried Humbrol before are amazed at the difference!

Brushes....I only use top quality signwriting brushes. Not cheap, but worth every penny. I suggest that a basic starter kit should include:

One or two long sable pointed writers. These are for petals, leaf veins castle details etc. Add a couple of sable chisel writers for leaves, background discs, castle towers and so on. Also a couple of flat ferrule one stroke brushes for painting skies, foregrounds and other large areas. You can't buy these in art shops, try either W Habberley Meadows in Chelmsley Wood, B'ham 0121 770 0103 or Wrights of Lymm in Cheshire, 01925 77526. Both are most helpful and will do mail order with card payments.

Please don't put your first attempts directly on to your boat. It's worth practising first ( The first 500 roses are the worst!!), preferably on a board, not artefacts, to deveop technique. 2 of my colleagues, Phil Speight and Tony Lewery have produced videos that are worth watching for help and are available from chandleries or museums. The "Paint Roses and castles" book should be avoided like the plague IMHO. The old dock painters would be spinning in their graves if they were to read it!!

I understand your desire to have a go and I wish you good luck. If I can help further, call me on 07831 243001 and I'm happy to advise. I only charge for doing it, not talking about it. To see what I do, have a look at the May Waterways World.....my cabin and engine room on Resolute are featured in the article on back cabins, along with a table cupboard I painted for another boat.

Cheers

Dave

Hi

As a professional signwriter and narrowboat decorator, I suggest that you use Craftmaster Decorative Flat Colour, avaailable from Craftmaster paints or some chandleries...google Craftmaster to find their list of local stockists near you. You can start with 5 basic colours, I'd suggest white, black, bright red, chrome yellow and blue. Other colours can be mixed as needed.Despite what others may say, small pots of Humbrol are useless. I've run classes in painting for years and all of the students who have tried Humbrol before are amazed at the difference!

Brushes....I only use top quality signwriting brushes. Not cheap, but worth every penny. I suggest that a basic starter kit should include:

One or two long sable pointed writers. These are for petals, leaf veins castle details etc. Add a couple of sable chisel writers for leaves, background discs, castle towers and so on. Also a couple of flat ferrule one stroke brushes for painting skies, foregrounds and other large areas. You can't buy these in art shops, try either W Habberley Meadows in Chelmsley Wood, B'ham 0121 770 0103 or Wrights of Lymm in Cheshire, 01925 77526. Both are most helpful and will do mail order with card payments.

Please don't put your first attempts directly on to your boat. It's worth practising first ( The first 500 roses are the worst!!), preferably on a board, not artefacts, to deveop technique. 2 of my colleagues, Phil Speight and Tony Lewery have produced videos that are worth watching for help and are available from chandleries or museums. The "Paint Roses and castles" book should be avoided like the plague IMHO. The old dock painters would be spinning in their graves if they were to read it!!

I understand your desire to have a go and I wish you good luck. If I can help further, call me on 07831 243001 and I'm happy to advise. I only charge for doing it, not talking about it. To see what I do, have a look at the May Waterways World.....my cabin and engine room on Resolute are featured in the article on back cabins, along with a table cupboard I painted for another boat.

Cheers

Dave

Many thanks Dave! No doubt my attempts will not be good enough, but I'll give it a go - then think again maybe :rolleyes:

John

Having just bought the book Dave said do not buy. (Bought 2 weeks ago) what books would you reccommend to get started. Also bought Humbrol paint as well as thought was if I do not succeed I have not wasted that much money.

I think with time, if you continue painting,you will discover that Dave is right. Either of the videos/CD`s that he recomends are good and Tony Lewery also has a book. You can buy a starter kit from Craftmaster which contains the paints and brushes and basic instructions written by Phil Speight, it is certainly at several chandlers and also the museum at Stoke Bruerne.It used to be about £50 but it does include everything you need to get started without handicaping yourself with the wrong equipment. The brushes you choose to use also make the job easier or not.

There has been a topic today from Terence re his courses at the museum at Stoke Bruerne. I did one of those courses last year and can highly recomend it, it is very hands on and a really fun weekend.

Hi

There isn't a book I'd recommend to learn how to paint. Tony Lewery's two books, Art of the Narrowboat Painters and Flowers Afloat, are rich in photographic examples of traditional dockyard work and to me are a valuable resource to inspire beginners. I'd also suggest a visit to canal museums to study and photograph the real thing. Again, both Phil and Tony's videos are a real help to a novice.

Humbrol flows poorly compared to Craftmaster and the colours are insufficiently rich to produce real painting, though lots of souvenir painters use them. They are slow drying too, whereas Craftmaster is touch dry in no time - I can paint a swag of roses in less than 15 mins, altho' that involves painting over background discs that are not totally dry. Speed is an important element in canal painting, slow execution can rob the work of life and vigour. (No pun intended!)

The problem with the book is that the examples given are a far cry from the work of the old painters or that of current practising painters. The castle is a particularly bad example and I see many copies on modern craft. THe Waterways Craft Guild was founded to attempt to reverse the influence and I'll claim, as a founder member, along with Phil and Tony, at least a limited success. You only have to have a look at some of the poorly painted stuff for sale in some canal side shops to understand the concern. I have here at home my own and Phil's historic collections (anyone is welcome to visit and study) along with Phil's "Black Museum"- a collection of appallingly painted tat, all offered for sale and bought by Phil as an example of what the tradition is not all about!!

To all tyro painters - good luck and a well loaded brush. Again, I'm happy to help, only a phone call away.

Cheers

Dave

Tony Lewery's two books, Art of the Narrowboat Painters and Flowers Afloat, are rich in photographic examples of traditional dockyard work and to me are a valuable resource to inspire beginners.

I would say that 'Flowers Afloat' is fastly becoming one of my favourite reference books, in fact I have two copies now, one for best at home and another at work that gets messy when I'm practicing!

There are a fair few different varieties of Castles and Roses in the book, all with their particular nuances which you discover the more you study them. The more you look at them the more you love 'em!

Dave gave me some good advice last year which is if you want to paint R&Cs then you can't go wrong if you study the old painters work. I'm also using Craftmaster flat colour and am getting on fine now I have gotten over my Coach Painters disease! (I used to put it on too thick!)

Currently I'm trying to mimick Nurser and the Braunston style, however my favourite style still has to be Frank Jones, like this below.

castle-panel-sm.jpg

Hi Kitman

I've got several examples by Frank Jones here, including a watercan and a table cupboard. You're welcome to come and have a look, I'm close to the venue for last year's letttering course. Put the brushes down someetime and come and drool! Bring your camera.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Kitman

I've got several examples by Frank Jones here, including a watercan and a table cupboard. You're welcome to come and have a look, I'm close to the venue for last year's letttering course. Put the brushes down someetime and come and drool! Bring your camera.

Cheers

Dave

Cheers PM sent!

I am sorry if this has been asked before but I need some advice.

I am considering decorating some of my boat with 'traditional' painting - fore and aft doors with Roses and Castles, Jugs and Casks with similar themes, and the bows with the name. My question is - what paint do you advise using so that it withstands the weather, and what brushes to use? Also - is it better to paint on removable wood (or acrylic sheeting) which is then attached to the doors? If so what wood would you suggest? Any other related suggestions would be much appreciated. I know a professional would do a better job, but I would like to have a go!

Thanks,

John

I would suggest going on a course with Terence or Dave Moore. You will learn so much faster. It's what I did. There is no 'magic' more a number of techniques that you need to learn.

Though you have made me realise I've lost my copy of a wonderful book ( black and white, ringbound).

From stem to stern

John hill

I would suggest going on a course with Terence or Dave Moore. You will learn so much faster. It's what I did. There is no 'magic' more a number of techniques that you need to learn.

Agreed. I did both of Dave's courses (Roses and Castles and Lettering) and the amount of information and skills that you pick up in a short time will be far better than any book. Time and money well spent IMO. An additional perk was that we got to see a decoration master in the flesh 'cos Phil Speight popped in :lol: with some of his museum pieces (both exhibition and black museum).

Sorry Dave, just teasing :P

Roger

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know where its possible to get the rose and castle transferes if any as my painting skills are not that good but i want a traditional look, Many thanks :-)

A search around the forum reveals this quote:

Those transfers you can buy are the same as plastic beams in Barratt homes, though...Satan's handiwork, and must be stopped!

I just can't remember if my tongue was firmly in my cheek or not.

Ya a star and ill be searching all day now i have the help as i didnt know where to start so thanks :-)

I cant seem to use the private messaging or anything do u know why ???????

Before the war starts...

Clicky

Google reveals a bigger range here...

Clicky

castlescene7_2.jpg

What is going on there then? Are these photos of other people's artwork turned into vinyl, or are they specially commissioned for the company?

Richard

What is going on there then? Are these photos of other people's artwork turned into vinyl, or are they specially commissioned for the company?

I'm not sure but that castle doesn't look too pleased about appearing on a sticker.

:o

Edited by carlt