Beta spares...........Oouucchhhh

Featured Posts

My understanding is that Beta fit a 71 degree thermostat as standard to stop, as they told me, the engine overheating if working hard on rivers.

I fitted an 82 degree stat over the winter but haven't been out on the boat since to see what effect that will have - I changed it in an attempt to get the calorifier water to stay hotter longer overnight (a long story discussed elsewhere hereon).

I have just checked and you are correct, 71 degree stat. Where did you get hold of an 82 degree unit?

I have just checked and you are correct, 71 degree stat. Where did you get hold of an 82 degree unit?

I think there is nothing special about them - just take the old one to a motor factors and any worth their salt will take one look at it and then get you one of whatever temperature you specify (if made). There are two common types of thermostats, one has a big washer thing hanging down underneath it (a bypass thermostat) and they are not interchangeable. I have no idea which type Beta/Kubota fit because of a bit of shoddy marinisation (some may say badge) on our training Beta that prevents us removing the thermostat without a welding torch or possibly an impact screwdriver - the sort you hit with a hammer).

I got mine from a local auto trader. It came as a "Daewoo" part. Unfortunately both thermostat and paperwork are on the boat at present and I shan't be anywhere near either for nearly a week. I'll try and remember to locate the information for you when I'm next there.

I got mine from a local auto trader. It came as a "Daewoo" part. Unfortunately both thermostat and paperwork are on the boat at present and I shan't be anywhere near either for nearly a week. I'll try and remember to locate the information for you when I'm next there.

I have been to my local car spares shop and they were next to useless. If you could tell me what model of Daewoo you got your thermostat from. Thanks

Thanks Tony, The Kubota thermostat looks like this:

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

Is this an interchangable one?

That is a perfectly straight forward non-bypass thermostat. If you had one you could probably fit one of the old bellows type some of us are familiar with from out youth. Its just a standard thermostat.

Perhaps I did not make what I was trying to say very clear. I doubt a bypass stats (the one with the big washer hanging below it) would fit into an ordinary thermostat's housing.However an ordinary thermostat would fit into a bypass thermostat housing BUT might allow overheating. If we discount an old and rareish type of bypass thermostat any bypass stats will fit into any other bypass stats housing and any normal stats will fit into any normal stat housing. But the design of each any particular one may be slightly different from the one it is replacing.

There is no way I would ever attempt buy that from a mariniser.

The problem I found this morning was that my local shop did not have a unit that was small enough. All of theirs had a much larger diameter main plate (the bit that seats into the housing).

If I am trying to warm my engine block plus two hot water cylinders when I start the engine then its no wonder my engine is not getting hot. I have decided I need to switch my immersion heater on when I first start my engine and that would help get everything up to tempreture. Based on the temprature gauge readings my thermostat is not opening now let alone putting in a different one that opens at 82 degrees!!!

The problem I found this morning was that my local shop did not have a unit that was small enough. All of theirs had a much larger diameter main plate (the bit that seats into the housing).

If I am trying to warm my engine block plus two hot water cylinders when I start the engine then its no wonder my engine is not getting hot. I have decided I need to switch my immersion heater on when I first start my engine and that would help get everything up to tempreture. Based on the temprature gauge readings my thermostat is not opening now let alone putting in a different one that opens at 82 degrees!!!

As far as I am aware the housing on the Beta is the standard Kubota one so one must suppose Kubota use a small diameter unit,m although I have not heard of it. Some Beta's have a Beta part that forms the cover and this is small with an adaptor plate.

I keep on learning every day - I must say the photos look just like the "standard" unit so it must be smaller all round. However I would still be looking for a non-marine source like a Kubota agricultural dealer.

Thanks Tony, I certainly will be looking around for all my spares in future!! I will wait and see if Ray can find a part number or something when he getrs to his boat at the weekend.

If he is around I reckon Eeyore (Steve) might be able to find a number on Monday.

I'm sure someone on here posted a link to a catalogue of thermostats. If we can find the link I may be able to locate the one I bought

Hi Ray

The only link I ever found was to a Quinton Hazel cataloge, unfortunetly that web link stopped when QH was sold recently.

I am waiting for some additional info from Shaun (Old Son); which could be posted here to improve the odds of finding something suitable.

Steve

The part no. on the package is 19434-73014. It is a genuine Kubota part.

The thermostat is a total of 40mm high, the plate that seats in the housing is 44mm diameter, it is 26mm from the bottom of the

unit to the 40mm plate and 16mm from the 40mm plate to the top of the unit.

Is that the part number for the thermostat that Beta fit (71 degrees) or for an 82 degree thermostat.

I've tried looking on the Internet and whilst I can locate the part (often in America) I can't find the specification to get the temperature.

That is the Kubota part number for the 71 degree unit.

Eeyore provided a contact company in Colchester. I have spoken with them this morning and they are going to investigate and get back to me.

I will post up all details they provide.

I have the Beta 43, large calorifier and refleks heater running 2 rads. Always had lovely hot water - then one day it suddenly was not so hot! Went down the same route as you with new thermostat but made no difference. Then I engaged brain and realised that the refleks and the radiators were lovely and hot - in summer!! Yes there is a gate valve to stop this happening and I had forgotten all about it. Shut the valve - back to normal!

I am also running too course a prop so the engine is close to tickover most of the time when it really should be working a bit. When the golden goose next sh**ts, I'll rectify this with a finer pitched version.

Perhaps you have similar problems?

I have the Beta 43, large calorifier and refleks heater running 2 rads. Always had lovely hot water - then one day it suddenly was not so hot! Went down the same route as you with new thermostat but made no difference. Then I engaged brain and realised that the refleks and the radiators were lovely and hot - in summer!! Yes there is a gate valve to stop this happening and I had forgotten all about it. Shut the valve - back to normal!

I am also running too course a prop so the engine is close to tickover most of the time when it really should be working a bit. When the golden goose next sh**ts, I'll rectify this with a finer pitched version.

Perhaps you have similar problems?

Whilst my engine heats the water it does not heat the radiators.

I wonder if I should consider fitting a thermostat on the supply to the calorifiers? Would that cause issues oe would it allow the engine to warm up?

I wonder if I should consider fitting a thermostat on the supply to the calorifiers? Would that cause issues oe would it allow the engine to warm up?

I've only fitted the different thermostat in an effort to keep the content of the calorifier warmer overnight having tried everything else that's been suggested on here. Unfortunately circumstances have prevented me using the boat since I did so. The engine seems quite happy running at 71 degrees and I'm sure Beta would have used a different stat if there'd been problems with engines running cool.

I presume your problem is that the engine never gets hotter than 71 degrees, or is it that it takes too long to get there?

Bit of both Ray, the engine only ever reaches about 68 degrees and it takes a very long time to get there. We had it ticking over at the weekend for about 50 minutes and the temprature only just moved off the stop!!!

I've been to the boat today and checked the box the new thermostat came in.

I bought the thermostat from Euro Car Parts Ltd - other car part dealers are available :rolleyes:

Their part number is 209 86 001J.

The thermostat is for a Daewoo Matiz with the equivalent part number of 17670A78B01.

There's an implication of a link to Suzuki 1F09 and another number - 808771-11.11 - is also quoted on the box.

I quoted QTH326K to the shop as an illustration of this thermostat in the previously mentioned linked PDF file seemed the nearest to that which I wanted. I note that Halfords - other ....... are available - sell this thermostat according to an Internet search.

I had to make a replacement "paper" gasket myself as the rubber gasket that came with the new thermostat leaves a large gap between the two parts of the housing when fitted.

I used an old 35ml syringe obtained from a farmer friend to syphon off 2 litres of coolant before attempting to remove the original and simply poured the coolant back after I'd replaced the thermostat.

I hope the above is of some help.

Ray

The part no. on the package is 19434-73014. It is a genuine Kubota part.

The thermostat is a total of 40mm high, the plate that seats in the housing is 44mm diameter, it is 26mm from the bottom of the

unit to the 40mm plate and 16mm from the 40mm plate to the top of the unit.

Bryco of Daventry sell Kubota parts, never bought engine bits from them but have bought oil at a reasonable price.

Not unless Beta have started fitting an extra "calorifier" thermostat. There is an ongoing discussion about the best way to plumb a calorifier.

Some say take the feed from between the thermostat and skin tank so the engine does warm up first. However this can make bleeding the calorifier circuit and getting the coolant to flow through that circuit more difficult. I (and I think Beta) take it from the cylinder head before the thermostat so the close stat helps force water through the calorifier This will extend the warm up times.

It is far from unknown for engines paired with a calorifier to have a 60 or 70 degree thermostat fitted to limit the maximum hot water temperature a little. I very much doubt the practical effect of running at 68 would be significant as long as you occasionally give it a good thrashing to rise the temperature of the cylinder walls etc.

Aye. Just what the wife needs while

I am pretty sure the standard, unmarinised Kubota engine is deigned to run cool with a ~70 deg thermostat, so it's not something Beta have done. If you fit a hotter thermostat you will be operating the engine outside its intended design. Our Beta 43 runs quite cool as well but that is just the way it is. The calorifier will slow the rate of heating if it is full of cold water, but it should not take that long to heat the calorifier if cruising even slowly at canal speed. After 20 mins or so the calorifier water will be hot and there will be no more heat "lost" to the calorifier so it will not affect the engine running temperature.

In summary, cool running is just the way the Kubota is designed and I would leave it like that, or risk long term damage.