Beta spares...........Oouucchhhh

Featured Posts

From memory the beta manual indicates a normal operating temperature around 80 degrees - the manual is on the boat so I can't check the previse wording.

I am trialling a higher temperature thermostat to aid the retention of hot water in the calorifier overnight - I've tried everything else - like NRVs in circuit. The suggestion from others on here being that the water in the calorifier isn't getting hot enough during the day to overcome the natural heat loss overnight. A colleague has already changed his thermostat (for other reasons) and hasn't suffered any obvious effects of doing so and our use of the boat is quite minimal anyway.

If the change makes a positive difference I shall leave the new thermostat in place otherwise I may well restore the original.

Thanks for the updates Ray.

I have two quite large skin tanks. I am investigating the option of closing one of them down and running on just the one. It might be I can do this by way of an additional thermostat, not sure yet.

Edited by Old Son

I have a Beta 1505 in NB Endjin which has never ever got hotter than 68-69C even working hard against the Trent in full flow. I did a coolant flush and change recently and took the chance and put 'pink'antifreeze in instead of blue. The result is that the engine now rarely gets hotter than 65C.

Be happy....a warmish engine is better and cheaper than a white hot one. If your problem is the water cooling in the calorifier overnight then you need decent lagging.

Peter.