Snow hill, Farmers Bridge, BCN

G4YVM

Featured Posts

Just reading Tom Foxon's book Anderton for Orders and mentions the places in my thread title. Do they still exist? How much of the old BCN does still exit?

I grew up around Tipton and Dudley, so knew the area quite well but very rarely went into Brum.

David

Edited by G4YVM

The Farmer's Bridge flight and the 'tunnel' under Snow Hill approaches very much exist

According to the book*, there are around 60 miles of the BCN now missing, that still leaves an awful lot

Perhaps you could get yourself onto one of the boats doing the 2012 BCN Challenge to see some of it

Richard

*The Other 60 Miles

Edited by RLWP

The Farmer's Bridge flight and the 'tunnel' under Snow Hill approaches very much exist

According to the book*, there are around 60 miles of the BCN now missing, that still leaves an awful lot

Perhaps you could get yourself onto one of the boats doing the 2012 BCN Challenge to see some of it

Richard

*The Other 60 Miles

Thanks Richard

I'll look into that BCN challenge.

D

Get hold of the book 'the other sixty miles' which details the bits of the BCN that have been lost.

Tim

£6 including postage:

http://www.hnbc.org.uk/richard-chester-browne-other-sixty-miles

Bargain!

Richard

Which reminds me, I must get myself a copy of 'The Blue Book'

Edited by RLWP

£6 including postage:

http://www.hnbc.org.uk/richard-chester-browne-other-sixty-miles

Bargain!

Richard

Which reminds me, I must get myself a copy of 'The Blue Book'

I've got a copy of that. We hired from Alvechurch in the early '80s and they lent me a copy. It has so much of interest that I bought my own copy. When we were last in Birmingham I found a printers at the top of the Aston flight to rebind it for me.

If you want to know where that disused arm went to or what that infilled bridge was for then the Blue Book is for you.

My 'Other 60 miles' is the original, before the Ridgeacre was closed.

Regards

Pete

Tried to order TO60M but my bank don't do cheques, so emailed for other options.

However in looking at the Wiki entry I came across the article on Lapal disused and the tunnel. I'm impressed that some people see a dried up cut and seriously then endeavour to re-open it. Truly impressive

I'll order the blue book too!

Who wrote TBB?

D

Edited by G4YVM

You have to hand it to the architects that built some of the buildings around Farmers locks in the 1960's they managed to preserve a great deal of the canal, at one point buildings actually hang right over the canal. I don't know, but during that period it probably would have been easier and they would probably have got the go ahead to forget about the canals and just built over them.

I've got a copy of that. We hired from Alvechurch in the early '80s and they lent me a copy. It has so much of interest that I bought my own copy. When we were last in Birmingham I found a printers at the top of the Aston flight to rebind it for me.

If you want to know where that disused arm went to or what that infilled bridge was for then the Blue Book is for you.

My 'Other 60 miles' is the original, before the Ridgeacre was closed.

Regards

Pete

What is the correct title for The Blue Book? At least then I could put some effort into finding one rather than relying on Stort_Mark for his copy during the BCN Challenge

Richard

I believe it is "Birmingham Canal Navigations - a cruising and walking guide" but no idea where you could get one from. If you find out let me know.

If I find TWO I'll let you know :P

Richard

I believe it is "Birmingham Canal Navigations - a cruising and walking guide" but no idea where you could get one from. If you find out let me know.

Thats correct.

published in 1984 by the Birmingham Branch of the IWA. I've never seen it republished so it will be a secondhand copy. It was plastic ring bound so don't expect one to be in good condition.

Here is some detail:

http://captainahabswaterytales.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/birmingham-canal-navigations-cruising.html

Regards

Pete

My copy states:

First Published 1984

Copyright. The Waterways Sub-Committee, Birmingham Branch, Inland Waterways Association, 1984

Waterways Sub-Committee, Birmingham Branch. IWA.

'Waverley'

Sparrows End Lane,

Brewood,

Stafford,

ST19 9DB

and inside it credits the text and maps to Alan Codling and the illustrations to Ron Eason, Diana Codling and Richard Evers-Swindell.

If you get permission, I'll quite happily loan my copy for photographing, but there are quite a few pages.

You could try asking the BCN Society if they have any further info.

Regards

Pete

Edited by pearley

Other 60 Miles is thin & A4 sized, stapled. Been published twice. Original cover was brown on white. Second edition was blue on white.

'Blue Book' is really titled Birmingham Canal Navigations - a cruising and walking guide and is A5 sized, ring bound with about 100 pages (it has a funny numbering system but I'm not too sad to sit down and count them!)

Regards

Pete

Other 60 Miles is thin & A4 sized, stapled. Been published twice. Original cover was brown on white. Second edition was blue on white.

'Blue Book' is really titled Birmingham Canal Navigations - a cruising and walking guide and is A5 sized, ring bound with about 100 pages (it has a funny numbering system but I'm not too sad to sit down and count them!)

Regards

Pete

who owns the copyright on this book?

There are

My copy states:

First Published 1984

Copyright. The Waterways Sub-Committee, Birmingham Branch, Inland Waterways Association, 1984

Waterways Sub-Committee, Birmingham Branch. IWA.

'Waverley'

Sparrows End Lane,

Brewood,

Stafford,

ST19 9DB

There's an IWA bloke on a boat called Waverley who moors at Sherorne wharf if that's any help. Maybe Odana knows more... Laurie Booth moors close as well IIRC

Thats correct.

published in 1984 by the Birmingham Branch of the IWA. I've never seen it republished so it will be a secondhand copy. It was plastic ring bound so don't expect one to be in good condition.

Here is some detail:

http://captainahabswaterytales.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/birmingham-canal-navigations-cruising.html

Regards

Pete

My first boating was around the BCN in the early eighties, we all bought two copies of the blue book, one for home and one with the canals coloured in blue for the boat! Still have both of mine.

It is 210 pages, I have a PDF scan of it which I can forward subject to getting permission from the IWA.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Expect to pay about £14 from second hand dealers on Amazon - and worth every penny.

Richard Chester Browne's The other 60 miles is also a good read for BCN enthusiasts - I have explored most of the abandoned sections and posted my findings on my Blog - Capt Ahab's Watery Tales.

Edited by Capt Ahab

Right, the book is called Birmingham Canal Navigations - a cruising and walking guide, the author is Alan Codling, the publisher was "The Waterways Sub-Committee, Birmingham Branch, Inland Waterways Association" in 1984. It has blue covers and is spiral bound, and looks like it was drawn by hand with the text added with a typewriter

I would like a copy of this book and am prepared to pay £20 for one

Can anyone help?

Richard

• 9 months later...

My first boating was around the BCN in the early eighties, we all bought two copies of the blue book, one for home and one with the canals coloured in blue for the boat! Still have both of mine.

It is 210 pages, I have a PDF scan of it which I can forward subject to getting permission from the IWA.

Tim

Would you be able to share your PDF file Tim? I'd be ever so grateful, Can't get a copy for love nor money on Amazon...constantly unavailable.