Charges in Bath

Tim F

Featured Posts

Have heard tales of boats being asked to pay by the meter length to moor at the leisure centre in Bath, two separate parties were given prices of around £35 per night. Any body throw any light on this?

Have heard tales of boats being asked to pay by the meter length to moor at the leisure centre in Bath, two separate parties were given prices of around £35 per night. Any body throw any light on this?

There are charges if you moor at the weir end and back up to the road bridge. you have to go to the leisure centre to purchase a ticket. Don't think it's that expensive I think it was around 15 quid but that was a few years ago. Nice place to moor just 2 minutes walk from town centre.

We used to moor at Kingsmead where the blocks of flats are under the 2 low road bridges are half from Widcombe bottom lock. Just 4 minutes walk from town centre.

Edited by Julynian

Not Bath this time but Windsor. Arrived at the Leisure Centre moorings on Friday March 30th and the charge was £4.00 per 24 hours. This also gave use of the showers at an extra £2.50.

Not bad for Windsor I hear you say, with the view of the castle and the Eton / Windsor bridge. I thought so myself until Good Friday. Charge doubled to £8.00.

I have now moved to the Eton side where the charge is £6.00 but no facilities

Not Bath this time but Windsor. Arrived at the Leisure Centre moorings on Friday March 30th and the charge was £4.00 per 24 hours. This also gave use of the showers at an extra £2.50.

Not bad for Windsor I hear you say, with the view of the castle and the Eton / Windsor bridge. I thought so myself until Good Friday. Charge doubled to £8.00.

Just get your self to Henley on regatter week

Always been a gray area. There don't seem to be any signs warning people that there is a charge. The leisure centre is run by a private company (Aquaterra) on behalf of Bath & North East Somerset Council (BANES). Not sure that the leisure centre people can enforce the charges. We pay our licence fee to BW and the section below Pulteney Weir would appear to be covered by that. Am a BANES council tax payer anyway, so would politely refuse to pay as the so called leisure centre is covered in the amount paid to the council. There is nothing on their website, just checked. Have met people who have moored there who have never been asked to pay anything. Suggest that if you are asked to pay, ask for chapter and verse in writing first, as I am suspicious that they have the authority to enforce their charges. If I find out more, I will post accordingly.

I moved my then boat from the Thames to Bradford on Avon in 1991. I used to cruise from there to Bath and moor up overnight by Pulteney Bridge, by the leisure centre, frequently. Never had to pay a penny, and I have to wonder if that is not a public mooring historically. I would refuse to pay that charge if I were you, unless they can provide concrete proof of their right to do so. I doubt they own the river bank, which was once, I would reckon, Bath's public wharf.

Hopefully a definitive answer. Spoke to BANES council who denied any knowledge even though it appears they own the moorings at Pulteney Weir. Was asked to phone the leisure centre, which the council do not own as it is run by Aquaterra Leisure now, who told me they used to collect fees but were told by the council to stop.

There is one sign up near the weir, more are going up I am told, that says the moorings are run by River Tide Leisure Management Ltd, The Boat House, Spring Gardens Road, Bath, BA2 6PW, tel 01225 920207. (this office is adjacent to the weir next to the restaurant). They have recently taken over, since the 23rd of last month, and it is run by Andrew Hemmings, mob 07809 740452.

Costs. I have a copy of a letter from the tourism department of the council which suggests that the cost be '£2.00 per linear meter, per night'. Mr Hemmings has assured me that he is charging £10.00 per 24hrs. I have no reason to disbelieve him as judged by my visit to him. There is also limited (free) shoreline. The area has been tidied up and cleaned. I hope that Mr Hemmings makes a go of it as he has been a local trader for some years in Bath. He has also indicated that he would do cheaper rates for local groupes such as boat clubs as well as boaters who have a home mooring. He is happy to do this for boaters based between Devizes and Bristol.

The main reason for the increase in windsor's VISITOR mooring fees is to bring the cost closer to marina fees.

Those wonderful people known as OVERSTAYERS have been using the moorings as a cheap or sometimes free mooring.

one boat which NEVER left the reach was there for two and a half years!

the increase in fees will help to offset the cost of enforcement.

By the way dai,it was good to meet you the other day.

Hopefully a definitive answer. Spoke to BANES council who denied any knowledge even though it appears they own the moorings at Pulteney Weir. Was asked to phone the leisure centre, which the council do not own as it is run by Aquaterra Leisure now, who told me they used to collect fees but were told by the council to stop.

There is one sign up near the weir, more are going up I am told, that says the moorings are run by River Tide Leisure Management Ltd, The Boat House, Spring Gardens Road, Bath, BA2 6PW, tel 01225 920207. (this office is adjacent to the weir next to the restaurant). They have recently taken over, since the 23rd of last month, and it is run by Andrew Hemmings, mob 07809 740452.

Costs. I have a copy of a letter from the tourism department of the council which suggests that the cost be '£2.00 per linear meter, per night'. Mr Hemmings has assured me that he is charging £10.00 per 24hrs. I have no reason to disbelieve him as judged by my visit to him. There is also limited (free) shoreline. The area has been tidied up and cleaned. I hope that Mr Hemmings makes a go of it as he has been a local trader for some years in Bath. He has also indicated that he would do cheaper rates for local groupes such as boat clubs as well as boaters who have a home mooring. He is happy to do this for boaters based between Devizes and Bristol.

Many thanks for the effort put in for this info,

Hang on, if the council own the mooring and deny an knowledge what give this hemmings bloke the right to charge?

p.s. I know for a fact he (or whoever was trying to collect money) was recently threatening to cut a boaters mooring lines if they didn't pay.

I can't find River Tide Leisure Management Ltd at companies house.

The only reference to andrew hemmings I can find is all to do with sally narrowboats, bradford on avon wharf and cromwell press. People don't seem to be overly happy about the way he conducts business from what I've read.

And strangely enough David Hemmings the actor used to live in Bradford on Avon.

Is this the person?

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/8949347.Trowbridge_print_boss_faces_fraud_charges/

Edited by Laurie.Booth

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I can't help a feeling that this, and the attempts to move Bath Rugby Club (which is next to these moorings) out of town might be connected. I can't say why, but the smell is the same.

A boater at our moorings had a demand for £40 thrust under his nose. His response was less than polite