Cruise boat stuck

keble

Featured Posts

Anyone remember the frigate HMS Jupiter doing the same thing on London Bridge in 1984? After a visit to the Pool of London she had to turn short round and misjudged it, coming alongside the bridge and causing substantial damage.

Howard

Anyone remember the frigate HMS Jupiter doing the same thing on London Bridge in 1984? After a visit to the Pool of London she had to turn short round and misjudged it, coming alongside the bridge and causing substantial damage.

Howard

In 1975 I was serving on HMS Andromeda when we did a stern berth ( Very Rare ) at Izmir in Turkey. The Captain who was very experienced had never done it before...to cut a long story short we hit the mooring position which happened to be a concrete wall adjacent to the footpath and road at something like 5 mph, I was stood on the quarterdeck ( The back to you ditch users ) at the time with a rattan fender but we legged it up the waists just before impact. Oh dear we carried on over part of the concrete sides caving the arse end of the ship in and trimming the props. Huge damage and we limped into dry dock in Gib for several weeks of major repair work ( Gib was great then as the border was shut ) Mistakes are made by proffsionals on ocasion due to the fact they do more ( boating ) than laymen. We still have the best Navy in the world albeit I fraction of the size it was when I was doing it. :cheers:

In 1975 I was serving on HMS Andromeda when we did a stern berth ( Very Rare ) at Izmir in Turkey. The Captain who was very experienced had never done it before...to cut a long story short we hit the mooring position which happened to be a concrete wall adjacent to the footpath and road at something like 5 mph, I was stood on the quarterdeck ( The back to you ditch users ) at the time with a rattan fender but we legged it up the waists just before impact. Oh dear we carried on over part of the concrete sides caving the arse end of the ship in and trimming the props. Huge damage and we limped into dry dock in Gib for several weeks of major repair work ( Gib was great then as the border was shut ) Mistakes are made by proffsionals on ocasion due to the fact they do more ( boating ) than laymen. We still have the best Navy in the world albeit I fraction of the size it was when I was doing it. :cheers:

MrSmelly - - - - are you sure that wasn't HMS Troutbridge?

I'm sure I've listened to a recording on the radio of that event . . . .

:rolleyes:

Accidents happen, but nowadays every bystander has two mobile devices one shooting stills the other video, and at good quality. SO nowadays everyone knows what happens. Look at the Italian cruise liner incident -video on youtube while the situation developed well before the call to muster stations.

There was a helicopter crash in New Zealand last winter and there was film of that on youtube within 10 minutes.

MrSmelly - - - - are you sure that wasn't HMS Troutbridge?

I'm sure I've listened to a recording on the radio of that event . . . .

:rolleyes:

You are realy showing your age.....1959 to 1977 :cheers:

he must have been on the narrow boat trust training scheme

No the person in charge would be a time served waterman/lighterman.

Which just goes to show that even after doing a five year apprenticeship ( as my grandfather and great grandfather did) and being a freeman of the river people can still get it wrong.

Waterman carry people and lightmen goods

so what happened at the boat race? I was busy and its not something that I would normally make a point of watching later!

From BBC news My link:

Boat Race: Swimmer halts contest, bowman collapses at finish line

A dramatic 158th Boat Race had to be halted midway through because of a swimmer in the River Thames, with Cambridge winning the restarted race.

The Oxford and Cambridge boats were side by side after 10 minutes and 30 seconds when the sight of a man in the river forced them to stop.

The swimmer was picked up by a police boat and later arrested on suspicion of a public order offence.

After a 31-minute delay, the race was re-started at the halfway point.

Cambridge went on to win with ease after Oxford broke an oar in a clash moments after the resumption but the drama continued after the race.

Oxford bowman Dr Alex Woods collapsed in the boat after they crossed the line and was transferred to the race launch for medical treatment, before being taken to Charing Cross Hospital. His condition is described as stable.

The traditional post-race presentation ceremony was abandoned out of respect for Mr Woods.

From BBC news My link:

The Oxford and Cambridge boats were side by side after 10 minutes and 30 seconds when the sight of a man in the river forced them to stop.

The swimmer was picked up by a police boat and later arrested on suspicion of a public order offence.

The traditional post-race presentation ceremony was abandoned out of respect for Mr Woods.

Was it David Walliams ?

so what happened at the boat race? I was busy and its not something that I would normally make a point of watching later!

As far as I can tell a thirty five year old man, who was privately educated, has an MSC from the LSE and is a fellow of the Royal Society of Arts was protesting against elitism in society. Apparently not an individual overburdened by the ravages of self awareness.

Edited by JDR