Automatic Topping up System for a battery bank

Ark Right

Featured Posts

Hi Guys and Girls,

Has anyone ever come across a system for automatically topping up a battery bank with de-ionised water?

I have just heard of such a system being fitted to a boat today??

cheers.gif

A

No

Edited by MJG

I've just ordered some US batteries, on their site they do a battery top up system for most their models. Not automatic though just a quicker way of doing it with water feeds to cells already connected.

I didn't look into it too much though as I read that some automatic systems aren't 100% reliable and is some cases could cause gassing and other problems if not monitored, I thought if you have to monitor it then you just as well do it yourself laugh.gif

http://www.usbattery.com/usb_images/usb_water_tri_1a_08.pdf

I have this on my boat. Works a treat and because each cell is controlled by a float you can't over fill it. You just pump up the bottle and leave it until the little wheel stops turning then let the pressure out.

Mine is the flexi topper system.

Edited by Biggles

We HAD a system on our boat - similar to the Powertech one.

As stated they work on a float system to stop the water flow.

But just be aware - we had 2 floats stick so two of the 12 cells overflowed into the battery box. Bit of a nuisance to clean out!

Have removed the system now and top-up 'manually'

Thanks for the replies.

Think I'll be reaching, struggling and stretching and keeping it manual.

cheers.gif

A

I bought one of these bottles for 15 quid a few years ago but they seem to have gone up in price.

They are ridiculously expensive for what they are, but they do make the reaching, struggling and stretching a bit easier.

http://www.thetoolboxshop.com/0-149-50-1l-automatic-battery-filler-bottle-3226-p.asp

Edit: I see they've actually given credit on that webpage to a former forum contributor Chris W for identifying a problem with the product.

Edited by blackrose

I bought one of these bottles for 15 quid a few years ago but they seem to have gone up in price.

They are ridiculously expensive for what they are, but they do make the reaching, struggling and stretching a bit easier.

http://www.thetoolbo...ttle-3226-p.asp

Edit: I see they've actually given credit on that webpage to a former forum contributor Chris W for identifying a problem with the product.

That's weird, I have made almost the same thing using a large syringe 150ml with tube attached. I'm awaiting for a 2 holed rubber cork to arrive from e-bay to finish it off. When I get it I'll set the cork in the top of the filler hole then measure the amount of tube to go through the cork so to protrude in to the battery cell at the exact water level, glue one of the inside holes inside the rubber cork so the tube is set at the correct depth. and back up with markings.

I tested this using an old champagne cork and it's works a treat. So when filling you set the 2 holed rubber cork with fixed tube into the cell opening, the bottom of the tube will be at the correct water level. 3/4 fill the syringe with ionized water, pull the syringe plunger if you suck air it will need water, so then inject some water to fill, then pull back plunger, if you've over filled slightly you will suck back the extra leaving the correct level. I thought of this as the batteries at the back of the bank I'll be fitting, I won't be able to see in to the cell. This worked a treat on some batteries at work and fail safe, you do need a 2 holed cork or you'll create a vacuum. and it won't work.

Using the tube also makes it easier for tight spaces. Simple to make, you can get big 150ml syringes cheap from e-bay or use a squidgy type bottle.

These corks are used in science labs so should cope with the odd splash of battery acid.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-Bung-21mm-Bottom-Diameter-2-Holes-4mm-New-/220984188517?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&hash=item3373af1e65#ht_2954wt_922

OK I've seen the link. BUT with a typical battery properly charged lasting years on it's original electrolyte, what is the point in paying money for this. OK If you are going to abuse your battery you will need to top it up, but with a proper charge profile topping up should be a yearly check not a complex bit of pipework. If you can't look into your own battery then add it to the list for the 200hr engine check.

• Greenie 1

OK I've seen the link. BUT with a typical battery properly charged lasting years on it's original electrolyte, what is the point in paying money for this. OK If you are going to abuse your battery you will need to top it up, but with a proper charge profile topping up should be a yearly check not a complex bit of pipework. If you can't look into your own battery then add it to the list for the 200hr engine check.

Wish that was true Arthur I run a couple of removal vans and a 7.5t lorry, the batteries regularly need topping up, they're usually only a bit low not totally drained drained, but I thought batteries like to maintain a full or near full level to be at their best.. I used to top up the leisure batteries about every 6 months or so and sometimes I would be putting a litre in to each battery, that's a big loss and I would think affect their performance, could be wrong though.

I actually took off the 2 lorry batteries last Tuesday as they were sluggish, these are difficult to check as there's no head room, so I haven't checked them as regularly as the van batteries. some cells were almost dry, each battery took over a litre of water to fill. I gave them some Epsom salts as well and their on a slow 4 amp charge, so hopefully they'll recover, I know they were checked last about months ago so that's quite a lot of water lost in that time. The lorry isn't used daily either, a couple of times a week on average and a couple of long runs a month.

http://www.thetoolboxshop.com/0-149-50-1l-automatic-battery-filler-bottle-3226-p.asp

I took a looks at those in a well known Chandlers who were charging £22 but there isnt enough headroom over my batteries to fit it in.

The system on Felonius Mongoose was working well last time I spoke to Charlie.

TC