The Season Beckons

Maffi

Featured Posts

THe Boating season is about to start. The litter situation hasnt changed much, there is still far too much. Since October I have personaly collected 156 bin bags of litter and general rubbish, and I really wasn't trying. I reckon I could have taken over 1000. The only thanks I want is a commitment from other boater, walkers, fisherman, Dog walkers and cyclists to take a bag with you and at sometime on your outing purge an area. One hundred yards is a good start a half mile is even better.

Pay attention to the 'Broken Window' theory. One broken window in an nice area that is not repaired will result in a degredation of that area. If you collect rubbish collect it all. One scrap left is a trigger for lazy people to assume that no one cares and they dump their rubbish.

We can make a vast difference to the canals by ourselves. Encourage others to do as you do when they see you out litter picking.

If you think 'Its not my job' I would ask you to think 'Whose job is it'. BW do not have the money. Leading on from that CRT wont have the money. The local council are not responsible because it is BW property. If we want this fixed WE have to fix it!

If you find obvious fly tipping, report it to the local council. They dont need much to get a conviction, an EPOS slip with bank details on it and they will also clean it up.

If you are not part of the solution then others will will clean up for you, but it would be great to have your assistance.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-BNiAMKWFOtE/T2uvcrnMT0I/AAAAAAAAIfw/jRSS8vT5ON4/s1600-h/DSCF3427%25255B6%25255D.jpg

One mormings collection.

Edited by Maffi
  • Greenie 1

WC_327812_39_image.jpg&w=417&h=445&ei=CvRvT7v4LKfA0QXjr9GNAg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=106&vpy=268&dur=1598&hovh=232&hovw=217&tx=115&ty=251&sig=115251310932763025108&page=1&tbnh=116&tbnw=109&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:14,s:0

Well done Maffi!

I will usually pick up any litter around our boat when we are out and about but cannit give any commitment to anyone that I will do a litter pick although I do applaud the idea, especially if you have the room to store the rubbish on board until you get to the next waste point. What annoys me is that so many BW waster points still do not have recycling facilites so I end up taking lots of our own rubbish home with us in the car while BW wastes licence payers money by sending recyclable stuff to landfill :angry:

Slightly :smiley_offtopic: I apply the same principal at home and clear up any litter in the street by our house on a daily basis. Not just on the footpath outside our home but the opposite side of the road as well. Dave commented last week that we seem to get far less rubbish blown into our front garden than what we used to get! :rolleyes: Well at least someone noticed!

THe Boating season is about to start.

There is not nor ever has been a " Boating Season " you should know better. If people persist in using this ridiculous term however one day it will give the likes of Bw ( By any other name ) to state the times dates the system will close down for the END of the Boating season, it would be great for them and play right into their hands.

What annoys me is that so many BW waster points still do not have recycling facilites...[snip]... sending recyclable stuff to landfill :angry:

This has really frustrated me. It's OK if you regularly do the same stretch but otherwise you're forced to store bottles and cans for weeks on end or just say sod it and put it all in the rubbish. I'm not going to pull in at every rubbish point en route just to check it this is one that does have recycling. And I've totally given up on trying to recycle plastic.

Edited by TimD

There is not nor ever has been a " Boating Season " you should know better. If people persist in using this ridiculous term however one day it will give the likes of Bw ( By any other name ) to state the times dates the system will close down for the END of the Boating season, it would be great for them and play right into their hands.

I think it's the other way round this year, they are shutting half the network as the summer season starts, thank goodness i have had plenty of winter cruising.

Yesterday morning saw the Loughborough litter parol out early, it's a shame they don't do the basin more regularly though as this resembles the lower reaches of the Brentford Arm on recent visits.

6871094546_757cd67c32_z.jpg

6871107820_185d3c458f_z.jpg

Yesterday Mrs G&F and I went for a walk down Sawley Cut, armed with a litter picker thingummy and strong black plastic bag . . ,

it's only 1/2 a mile or so to Sawley lock, but we'd filled the bag within the first 200 yds.

Tomorrow we'll take an handful of bags

(we say Matty40s and a rather lovely Old Friends in the lock, too

Hi-ya Matty :hug:!

I think we reach 'an age' when we start to pick up litter. I also pick up bits on the tow path when it spoils an otherwise pretty area. There is a copse near my boat with about a dozen plastic bags stuck in the branches, all different colours, where I grew up we called them Witches Knickers - and now they don't seem so bad!

I continue to be impressed by your dedication, Maffi! Luckily where I live on the common in Cambridge I rarely have any litter issues.

Saw this in a newspaper someone had left on the train (naughty!)

IMAG0305.jpg

There is not nor ever has been a " Boating Season " you should know better.

Look 'ere fat boy that drives a pig ugly boat. The season runs from April to October. Winter mooringd run from November to March. Now dont start pi**ing me off!!!

This has really frustrated me. It's OK if you regularly do the same stretch but otherwise you're forced to store bottles and cans for weeks on end or just say sod it and put it all in the rubbish. I'm not going to pull in at every rubbish point en route just to check it this is one that does have recycling. And I've totally given up on trying to recycle plastic.

There used to be a recycling point at Thrupp but ignorant boaters used the bins like ordinary rubbish bins so it was taken away. We only have our selves to blame.

Bollocks

Extremely eloquently and very well put Phylis. I like Maffi but he is a newbie so still has a lot to learn. I pay my licence for 12 months useage and my mooring fees, never a mention of a " Season " :cheers:

There used to be a recycling point at Thrupp but ignorant boaters used the bins like ordinary rubbish bins so it was taken away. We only have our selves to blame.

This is very true.

Look 'ere fat boy that drives a pig ugly boat. The season runs from April to October. Winter mooringd run from November to March. Now dont start pi**ing me off!!!

Now looooooook ere young Maffi, all fat narrowboats are pig ugly, and very comfy :D I have already cruised for a month over christmas and new years and moved from near Leeds to Nottingham in 4 and a half days two weeks ago, I assure you I was boating not craned so what is this bollocks about a Season ?

Now looooooook

ere young Maffi, all fat narrowboats are pig ugly, and very

comfy :D I

have already cruised for a month over christmas and new years and moved from

near Leeds to Nottingham in 4 and a half days two weeks ago, I assure you I was

boating not craned so what is this bollocks about a Season

?

You know exactly what I mean fat boy! Whilst those of

us that can move about during the winter, this is a time when boat traffic is

reduced and BW carry out quite a lot of maintenance' While there are hire boats

out during the winter most hirers are whimps and generally tend to come out

mostly between April and October, hence the 'Boating Season'. Of course none of