Rear end decoration(!)

davey b

Featured Posts

I was wondering how and why the 'keyhole' pattern on the rear doors of the back cabin came about, and it also occurred, why is the counter banded in red and white (ish)? Is it some kind of 'tail light' or sighting aid?

Is there a set pattern to the doors because some look quite good and some look awful!

When would this have started?

This is all prior to painting the boat this summer (probably not going anywhere... with water as it is)

Ta

Dave

A good way of decorating your rear end is to sit for two weeks on a wicker bottomed chair.

Before the impressions made fade you can colour them in with paints or crayons.

Edited by bizzard

A good way of decorating your rear end is to sit for two weeks on a wicker bottomed chair.

Before the impressions made fade you can colour them in with paints or crayons.

Speed up the process by sitting on a hot Griddle. You will also be able to dispense with the paints and crayons B)

"Branded, scorned as the one who ran.

What do you do when you're branded,

and you know you're a man?

Wherever you go for the rest of your life you must prove ... you're a man."

Moon out of the back window of a coach ?

Years ago when i was for a while a member of a rugby club and drove their Bristol single decker coach when playing away.

We were on the way back from Bury st Edmunds with a team of the Colts and their parents and supporters in the dark when i was stopped by the police and blamed for allowing four of them to Moon at following motorists at the back window.But managed to convince them that i knew nothing about it as i had the drivers night time curtain drawn around me as its law to have some passenger lighting on at night for safety reasons and drove it on side mirrors anyway so i honestly new nothing.

Moon out of the back window of a coach ?

Years ago when i was for a while a member of a rugby club and drove their Bristol single decker coach when playing away.

We were on the way back from Bury st Edmunds with a team of the Colts and their parents and supporters in the dark when i was stopped by the police and blamed for allowing four of them to Moon at following motorists at the back window.But managed to convince them that i knew nothing about it as i had the drivers night time curtain drawn around me as its law to have some passenger lighting on at night for safety reasons and drove it on side mirrors anyway so i honestly new nothing.

I've done some bus driving aswell, but I always drove them on their wheels :P

Peter.

Hi

The shape on the stern bulkhead is today often known as the " Mouse's Ears" and similar shapes were to be seen on farm carts. Perhaps they were transferred. Historian Tony Lewery speculates about this in detail in his excellent book The Art of the Narrowboat Painters. I must have painted most variations over many years.

Red and white conter bands have a rightnes about them that simply works and I consider that some red on a boat, somewhere, is a must.

The liveries of working boats evolved and again have a good looking feel to them. They translate well to traditionally styled modern boats in my opinion.

I'm not aware of any symbolic significance of any of the painting other than to proclaim pride of ownership, in much the same way that a modern trucker may have a highly decorated cab, whether airbrushed landscape or voluptuous nude!!!

Cheers

Dave

The mickey mouse head, and tunnel bands, to me highlighted a boat in the dark from the rear, as any lantern would have been at the front.

I have been knocking around working and ex-working narrow boats for almost 40 years and I have only in recent times heard the term "tunnel bands". To me this term is yet another that has been invented by 'enthusiasts', and I am confident that the paint around a motor's counter has nothing to do with tunnels at all.

I have been knocking around working and ex-working narrow boats for almost 40 years and I have only in recent times heard the term "tunnel bands". To me this term is yet another that has been invented by 'enthusiasts', and I am confident that the paint around a motor's counter has nothing to do with tunnels at all.

Hi, have you any idea why the red and white bands became almost standard. Have boats always been paired this way?

Thanks