hire boat

pomkitanner

Featured Posts

Hi all, new to the forum and keen to discover . I have hired once before - a week on the South Oxford. loved it but want to enjoy a different terrain next time . the countryside of South yorkshire - Derbyshire and Cheshire appeals and have looked quickly at the Leeds Liverpool. We want to see typical stone built villages/pubs and avoid built up areas. Happy to contemplate 5 -8 locks / day but not flights. Would need a 4 berth boat, that has the ability to include a couple of small easy chairs in preference to the more common bench style seating. ( mid 60's so needing some comfort ) Any suggestions ? i post regularly on Trip advisor but canal cruising is rarely discussed.

Thanks Derek

Hi all, new to the forum and keen to discover . I have hired once before - a week on the South Oxford. loved it but want to enjoy a different terrain next time . the countryside of South yorkshire - Derbyshire and Cheshire appeals and have looked quickly at the Leeds Liverpool. We want to see typical stone built villages/pubs and avoid built up areas. Happy to contemplate 5 -8 locks / day but not flights. Would need a 4 berth boat, that has the ability to include a couple of small easy chairs in preference to the more common bench style seating. ( mid 60's so needing some comfort ) Any suggestions ? i post regularly on Trip advisor but canal cruising is rarely discussed.

Thanks Derek

Firstly welcome to the forum and congratulations on making the sensible decision to want to try the Leeds & Liverpool, it is just great especially if you get half decent weather to cross the summit.

Canal boat escapes at Barnoldswick (which is run by a forum member) has some tidy looking boats and Grace would seem to fit the bill perfectly -

http://www.canalboatescapes.co.uk/luxury_narrow_boat_barge_holiday_hire.htm

You will have to contend with some short flights though on the L&L though but nothing too onerous (as in nowt like Caen Hill or Lapworth) - and TBH the Bingley Five Rise which is a staircase flight is simply a 'must do' - though on there you have the assistance of a lock keeper (you need it!!)

Edited by MJG

You beat me to it Martin!

Grace would indeed be a good choice...I do handovers on her regularly and she's very well fitted out...

The Leeds and Liverpool Canal from Salterforth is simply divine...and Bingley Five Rise is a must-do!

Janet

Firstly welcome to the forum and congratulations on making the sensible decision to want to try the Leeds & Liverpool, it is just great especially if you get half decent weather to cross the summit.

Canal boat escapes at Barnoldswick (which is run by a forum member) has some tidy looking boats and Grace would seem to fit the bill perfectly -

http://www.canalboatescapes.co.uk/luxury_narrow_boat_barge_holiday_hire.htm

You will have to contend with some short flights though on the L&L though but nothing too onerous (as in nowt like Caen Hill or Lapworth) - and TBH the Bingley Five Rise which is a staircase flight is simply a 'must do' - though on there you have the assistance of a lock keeper (you need it!!)

Thanks guys for the very prompt reply. I am going to enjoy this forum, and look forward to finalising my trip. Sounds like the L & L it is then.

Derek.

Thanks guys for the very prompt reply. I am going to enjoy this forum, and look forward to finalising my trip. Sounds like the L & L it is then.

Derek.

i am somewhat new to the website, wondering if there is a detailed map of the Skipton area which will give info re number of locks/lift bridges etc , so i am able to determine the 'workload'?

i am somewhat new to the website, wondering if there is a detailed map of the Skipton area which will give info re number of locks/lift bridges etc , so i am able to determine the 'workload'?

The British Waterways Guide on Waterscape is a good place to start - link below.

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/guides/download/3522797073fdd5c021fa4b312fba2a37

You could also buy a copy of one of the guides for the area - either Nicholson's or Pearson's both of which cabe found on the Amazon site.

Regards

Howard

Canalplanner

This is also a useful planner for approximate lengths of days and distances...

Thanks for the link. Have just done a quick recce. Am i right in thinking that a round trip from Barnoldswick to Binghly on the Leeds /Liverpool, is a comfortable week? I am happy to cruise 8 hours / day. There will be just 2 crew .

Thanks for the link. Have just done a quick recce. Am i right in thinking that a round trip from Barnoldswick to Binghly on the Leeds /Liverpool, is a comfortable week? I am happy to cruise 8 hours / day. There will be just 2 crew .

Yes an easy trip in a week, even with 2 you could probably even go a bit further - Saltaire is worth a trip, as is a trip through the tunnel at Foulridge.

Barnoldswick to Bingley would be perfect for a week's trip, and as Martin said, it's well worth a trip through Foulridge Tunnel and on to the top of Barrowford Locks.

That would be a perfect end to your holiday, with a rather nice pub and moorings just an short cruise away from the hire boat base for your last evening.

Janet

Hi Pomkitanner,

I've no wish to appear to be in any way criticizing any of the suggestions that have been made so far,

but may I suggest Hapton Valley Boats based at Reedley Marina on the L & L.

http://www.canal-cruises.co.uk ,a small company who we hired from last year and are booked with again

this year.

Fred

Edited by FredW

We have hired Grace a couple of times ' Luxury Canal Boat - Grace is here ' and enjoyed the trips immensely, the beds on Grace are as comfortable as any 5 star hotel and it is very easy to get about. Bathroom superb, power shower to die for, you don't want to get out. She is dead easy to steer but I assume all narrow-boats are. Only one crew he does all the locks etc I am too busy steering...lol We have done Barnoldswick to Skipton and return on a weekend Fri(afternoon)-Mon(morning). He looked a little shaded on the Sunday evening...lol

Edited by 'TheBitch'

We have hired Grace a couple of times ' Luxury Canal Boat - Grace is here ' and enjoyed the trips immensely, the beds on Grace are as comfortable as any 5 star hotel and it is very easy to get about. Bathroom superb, power shower to die for, you don't want to get out. She is dead easy to steer but I assume all narrow-boats are. Only one crew he does all the locks etc I am too busy steering...lol We have done Barnoldswick to Skipton and return on a weekend Fri(afternoon)-Mon(morning). He looked a little shaded on the Sunday evening...lol

Thanks 'The Bitch ( its very odd replying to that pen name ) some very encouraging words and some i think will lead me to conclude i have to hire Grace !!, Appreciate your comments - invaluable in making decisions fro such a distance.

Barnoldswick to Bingley would be perfect for a week's trip, and as Martin said, it's well worth a trip through Foulridge Tunnel and on to the top of Barrowford Locks.

That would be a perfect end to your holiday, with a rather nice pub and moorings just an short cruise away from the hire boat base for your last evening.

Janet

So Janet if i understand you correctly, your suggested route, would be from Barnoldswick base to Bingly, turn and travel back past the base to the Barrowford locks? (But not through) and then back to base in the morning ? This is all within a week ? roughly how many hours per day ? We are looking for a particularly scenic route that includes lots of canal architechture, pretty villages and pubs every night. All on this section ? I will of course buy a canal guide which i found invaluable on sight as it were, however they were of little use in planning while relaxing at home .

Thanks for your help

Derek.

Hi Derek,

Sorry for the rather late reply, but I've been away for the weekend and only just seen your post.

Depending on how many hours you want to cruise each day, then it's perfectly feasible to get to Bingley and back, and spend the last day and a bit nearer to the base, spending your last evening at the Anchor Inn at Salterforth before taking the boat back to base in the morning...just a short cruise with no locks or swing bridges to negotiate. The pub serves decent ale and has a good mooring on a pontoon just below.

If you want scenic views, canal architecture, pretty villages and pubs then you'll love the Leeds & Liverpool! The locks aren't too arduous, although the swing bridges can be a bit of a challenge! Good fun though...! I have to admit I'm very biased....it's my local canal and I absolutely love it! Despite having travelled the canal network from here down to London and back and many points in between over the past ten years or so, I remain convinced that the stretch from Greenberfield through to Skipton is one of the nicest you will find anywhere.

As has been suggested earlier, Canal Planner is an excellent resource for planning your journey.

If there's anything I can do to help with your planning, then please ask!

Janet

Good advice

- I would just add Janet - moorings on the pontoon at the Anchor can at times can be very tight, it takes 2 or 3 boats max. meaning it can be a bit of a lucky dip as to if you get one. If you do it's a great place to moor, so the OP needs to plan accordingly.

Good advice

- I would just add Janet - moorings on the pontoon at the Anchor can at times can be very tight, it takes 2 or 3 boats max. meaning it can be a bit of a lucky dip as to if you get one. If you do it's a great place to moor, so the OP needs to plan accordingly.

good point

although you can squeeze one or two boats in just clear of the water point on the other side of the bridge.

the op might not get on the anchor inn pontoon, but would be unlucky not to find somewhere within a decent distance wouldn't you say ?

jon

ETA : I have seen hire boats (from a company past skipton) moored overnight on the water point (they kept us up all night partying after the pub closed too)

Edited by jonathanA

good point

although you can squeeze one or two boats in just clear of the water point on the other side of the bridge.

the op might not get on the anchor inn pontoon, but would be unlucky not to find somewhere within a decent distance wouldn't you say ?

jon

ETA : I have seen hire boats (from a company past skipton) moored overnight on the water point (they kept us up all night partying after the pub closed too)

I thought that the LTM's started immediately after the water point, though I'm open to correction, it's a while since we've moored there or it may have changed since we did.

When we were once moored there we ended up in a space on the LTM's, we were unsure about doing so but a guy from one of the boats moored there said we'd be OK as it was unoccupied/un-let and being a bit green in them early hiring days we took his word for it. :rolleyes:

I also think the LTM's then run all the way north along to where it's not suitable to moor. Plus going south there is nothing IIRC suitable other than the Anchor's pontoon.

Anchorpontoon.jpg

Edited by MJG

Just beyond the winding hole at the extent of Martins photo is an old concrete mooring which is quite good and within 5 mins walk of the pub.

Also, after the end of the LTM's and the run off is pretty straight and deep enough to moor up.

I am currently lobbying BW to review some of their LTM's around this area as half those at Salterforth are unoccupied and all but 20ft at Greenberfield Bottom Lock.

Greenberfield Top LTM's would make great VM's but are all occupied at the moment.

Edited by RichardH

Just beyond the winding hole at the extent of Martins photo is an old concrete mooring which is quite good and within 5 mins walk of the pub.

Also, after the end of the LTM's and the run off is pretty straight and deep enough to moor up.

I am currently lobbying BW to review some of their LTM's around this area as half those at Salterforth are unoccupied and all but 20ft at Greenberfield Bottom Lock.

Greenberfield Top LTM's would make great VM's but are all occupied at the moment.

Thanks for clarifying Richard

- we once got a stern rebuff from a long term moorer at Greenberfield. 'Green as grass' hirers we were at the time and approached the (acres of free space) at the bottom lock not realising they were LTM's when out popped a little head from a side hatch and sternly shouted 'you can't moor here they're private'. :rolleyes:

I think the last time we passed in August last year there wasn't a single boat on there, so yes it would be good if pressure could be brought to condense the LTM's at Salterforth and Greenberfield - it's a nice spot and it would improve passing the trade for the Anchor too.

I thought that one could moor on Long Term Moorings if they were vacant? We were told this a couple of years ago, by a long-term moorer at Newbold I think.

My understanding is you can't - they are often signed -

Long Term Moorings - permit holders only.

Which I've always taken to mean it's a no no (apart from when the guy I referred to above told us we'd be OK for one night.)

yes and there's a long stretch of lovely moorings that are marked as LTM, north of the half dozen or so permanent moorers but clealry no one has moored there for a long time...

We were forced to use them last summer when barrowford locks were closed and we needed to leave the boat until they re-opened. There was about 3 or 4 boats at least who had to do the same and didn't seem to cause anyone a problem !

Good luck with the lobbying Richard.

apologies to the poster for wandering a bit from his topic !

yes and there's a long stretch of lovely moorings that are marked as LTM, north of the half dozen or so permanent moorers but clealry no one has moored there for a long time...

We were forced to use them last summer when barrowford locks were closed and we needed to leave the boat until they re-opened. There was about 3 or 4 boats at least who had to do the same and didn't seem to cause anyone a problem !

Good luck with the lobbying Richard.

apologies to the poster for wandering a bit from his topic !

No appologies needed - all very interesting, even if i am half a world away. Had to hang in there a while to discover meaning of LTM though ! How about 'A great VM ' ? Cant figure that one