Looks like a bargain

IainW

Featured Posts

The one external picture is of a boat that is not instantly recognisably from any of the builders of that period.

The "Jim Shead" site doesn't add any enlightenment in that area either.

This could well be a "one off" or amateur build, I would have thought, and certainly the lack of a stated pedigree or steel thicknesses don't help with a sale for a boat like this.

Is £20K for a 50 foot cruiser sterned boat boat claimed as "circa 1980", (which to me says it may be older), really a bargain price ? Certainly the claimed original "reduced from" £30K price tag seems not a little OTT!

Personal gripe: Why do some people not clean up the cooker, empty the sink, and generally tidy up, before taking "for sale" pictures of their boats, by the way ?

The one external picture is of a boat that is not instantly recognisably from any of the builders of that period.

This could well be a "one off" or amateur build, I would have thought, and certainly the lack of a stated pedigree or steel thicknesses don't help with a sale for a boat like this.

Is £20K for a 50 foot cruiser sterned boat boat claimed as "circa 1980", (which to me says it may be older), really a bargain price ? Certainly the claimed original "reduced from" £30K price tag seems not a little OTT!

Personal gripe: Why do some people not clean up the cooker, empty the sink, and generally tidy up, before taking "for sale" pictures of their boats, by the way ?

And I dont hold out much hope for the dry towels and toilet roll when using the sink or shower!

What on earth is that floating in the galley sink? And the cooker is filthy! Toilet is a portapotti. Front doors are home made untreated or painted ply.

They aren't trying very hard to sell it are they?

Thats what put me off buying from Whilton. Two of the boats we looked at there had mouldy fruit on display. If the broker cannot even be bothered to remove those then it does not say a lot for their customer service

Thats what put me off buying from Whilton. Two of the boats we looked at there had mouldy fruit on display. If the broker cannot even be bothered to remove those then it does not say a lot for their customer service

Except a boat that is poorly presented provides a great bargaining tool.

If I were selling a boat I'd certainly make it presentable before putting it on display, but personally a dirty cooker or bowl of mouldy fruit wouldn't put me off buying a boat because it doesn't take too much imagination to visulise binning the old fruit and having a good clean up. However, I suppose it might indicate a general lack of maintenence.

If I were selling a boat I'd certainly make it presentable before putting it on display, but personally a dirty cooker or bowl of mouldy fruit wouldn't put me off buying a boat because it doesn't take too much imagination to visulise binning the old fruit and having a good clean up. However, I suppose it might indicate a general lack of maintenence.

My thoughts exactly.

How can you not know the year of your boat? They must have been told when they bought it !!

If they cant see the mess through a camera lens what chance the mechanics of the boat.

Not to happy about the pet bowls scattered around either.

At least make it presentable and attractive.

Alex

As a prospective purchaser, in that I don't own a boat at all, then it is very useful to see boats presented in a 'lived in' state. This provides much information that isn't expressed in the text.

The information can be both positive and negative. Of course, which information falls into which category will vary with the preferences of the viewer.

A 'tarted up' interior, meticulously prepared 'for sale', tells me nothing, so stands no chance of helping to sell the boat as a space for living.

Just to make it clear, I'm not motivated to look further at this example. I am just making a general point.

Regards

We paid 23k for a 50 footer from circa 1980 unknown build. . We had looked at many boats previously priced a little less and found nothing we liked.

We knew it was the right boat when we walked in, it was obvious that it had been well looked after, had some extras (inverter and 240v generator off the engine etc) a layout that worked for us as a family with a 4 year old.

Survey was done, minor work required which was offset by the vendor, gas pigtails, vent etc.

Hull survey returned that the hull thickness was the same as when it was new, and was built with a superior grade of steel.

Engine was in good condition, and appeared to have very few hours on it (approx 75)

New full paint job and blacking (12 months previous) have the receipt to prove it.

I have also spoken with the company who painted it and serviced the engine and they have looked after it for years, and we're very complimentary.

All in all very happy.

As they say with buying a house, you'll know the right one when you see it. It worked for us.

As a prospective purchaser, in that I don't own a boat at all, then it is very useful to see boats presented in a 'lived in' state. This provides much information that isn't expressed in the text.

The information can be both positive and negative. Of course, which information falls into which category will vary with the preferences of the viewer.

A 'tarted up' interior, meticulously prepared 'for sale', tells me nothing, so stands no chance of helping to sell the boat as a space for living.

Just to make it clear, I'm not motivated to look further at this example. I am just making a general point.

Regards

"Lived in" state perhaps, but some people live fairly cleanly and tidily whereas others live like pigs. If the latter, it doesn't bode too well for the overall condition of the boat.