the 'glossy' reviews

Ally

Featured Posts

Maybe it's just me.............

I frequently see glossy boaty mag reviews of new build boats....always interesting for a nose through, but my one bug bear is the amount of stoves they show that do not appear to comply.

Oh they look lovely tucked into the corner, snugly next to wooden steps with a nice wooden surround, wooden mantle just above the height of the stove...there is a perfect example in the newest CB mag.........but someone tell me how that complies with required distances and protection please????

We get customers showing us these pics....just what they want....sorry we say....not compliant..........

but.....but.....but..................

So then we look plain awkward.........

There are ways round most things, ways of protecting, but they are never clearly shown on most reviews............

Rant over!

I frequently see glossy boaty mag reviews of new build boats....always interesting for a nose through, but my one bug bear is the amount of stoves they show that do not appear to comply.

Oh they look lovely tucked into the corner, snugly next to wooden steps with a nice wooden surround, wooden mantle just above the height of the stove...there is a perfect example in the newest CB mag.........but someone tell me how that complies with required distances and protection please????

We get customers showing us these pics....just what they want....sorry we say....not compliant..........

There are ways round most things, ways of protecting, but they are never clearly shown on most reviews............

Rant over!

But "How new" are these boat and when were they actually built?

Rant over!

Maybe it comes down to somebody other than the builder confirming compliance.

You don't do your own I understand so maybe it comes down to what the customer wants 'a safe boat' or 'one which you can perish in'.

If I was ordering new I'd prefer the former.

I've just re-fitted our stove so that it is more compliant / complies with the regs (there's only so much you can do with an existing space package). Senior management was most disappointed that the nice surround had gone. I originally fitted ours as shown in the mags / books however reading the Lindy Lou report was more than enough motivation to re-fit it correctly.

Perhaps you should keep a copy of the Lindy Lou report to show them why you want to fit it correctly and what the consequences are if you fit it as shown in the mags.

• Greenie 1

Right, not being flippant, but, if such close proximity is such a fire hazard, then why do not many more boats burn out?

Probably because most people, most of the time, keep their fires well under control. It's the odd time when a fire is left to burn very hot, eg if forgotten or by dozing after a few drinks, that bring the greater risk.

Tim

I particularly liked the recent WW review which referred to an "almost compliant" stove installation and then mentioned the date the baseplate was laid down as some kind of exemption.

Somehow (without a copy of BS8511 to hand) I don't think the standard refers to anything other than the stove installation date.

There isn't a specific 'not next to the steps'....it's about being not too close to materials that will burn (or scorch or conduct heat). If you lay your hands on March CB mag you will see how close the stove is to the steps, with no clear guard. The stove can go there, but the step should either be offset to meet the distance requirement, or should be protected with a heat shield....which is the way we manage that position now. The standard now also looks at flammables below the stove, so the ...I assume...wood hearth it stands on, would not necessarily comply unless the manufacturer says so, and there have always, since the RCD, been regs on ditances above and to the side. Also the front 'hearth' is tiny...not great to catch hot coals before they hit the lovely wood floor.

Frustrating, potentially dangerous,......and I don't understand folk willing to put their professional necks on the line.

One of the things I've done is to put a wooden batton screwed to the floor so the removable steps have to be put in the right place otherwise they look odd and rock. I've also been investigating exhaust wrap for the internal flue pipe. It's available in black so this allows some insulation to be retrofitted to the existing installation.

One of the greatest hazards I find of having the stove near the steps is the temptation to grab the flue as you come down the steps to steady ones self, OK in the summer but when the fire is going full pelt in the winter....

Don't ask me how I know this.....

What is the thinking behind the "not next to the front steps" edict? Is it to reduce the chance of stumbling and scalding or is it a means-of-escape issue? Or is it something else?

A stove by the front doors only heats half the boat. A stove near the middle stands a better chance of reaching the parts other stoves cannot reach.

David