can you identify this engine

onionbargee

Featured Posts

im guessing its a ford d series, but time will tell.

It's a ford "dorset" six cylinder marinised by SABRE,the blue paint and chrome rocker cover give the clues as to it's origins.

this engine was as micky 44 says,used in the ford D series engines,a later version known as the "COLOGNE" was built by ford in germany

bit too powerful for a narrow boat.this one was probably rated at 145-180 B.H.P.!

p.s. dont you mean OVERHEAD VALVE instead of OVER HEAD CAM?

Edited by cereal tiller

004.jpg003.jpg002.jpg

turbo Diesel, Simms fuel pump, overhead cam.

SABRE version based on FORD D series, 5416cc`s, 330 cu inch, base version 100bhp @2500rpm, 242lbs ft torque.they then went up in various stages, of turbo charging , inter cooling, to some thing in the region of 250 bhp. I think you will find it`s ohv via pushrods rather than overhead cam

It's a ford "dorset" six cylinder marinised by SABRE,the blue paint and chrome rocker cover give the clues as to it's origins.

this engine was as micky 44 says,used in the ford D series engines,a later version known as the "COLOGNE" was built by ford in germany

bit too powerful for a narrow boat.this one was probably rated at 145-180 B.H.P.!

p.s. dont you mean OVERHEAD VALVE instead of OVER HEAD CAM?

i must stop drinking that east start and tonic !

Ford Sealion

The ford sealion was a marinisation carried out by WATERMOTA in newton abbot,devon.

the faded blue paint,which was turquoise when new, identifies this once noble machine as,to use a technical term,rather SORE engine, as a SABRE,the MERMAID versions were white.

yes, the O.P. should adhere to the mellow but satisfying beverage known as 3 IN ONE oil with a W.D. 4O chaser?

Edited by cereal tiller

The ford sealion was a marinisation carried out by WATERMOTA in newton abbot,devon.

the faded blue paint,which was turquoise when new, identifies this once noble machine as,to use a technical term,rather SORE engine, as a SABRE,the MERMAID versions were white.

yes, the O.P. should adhere to the mellow but satisfying beverage known as 3 IN ONE oil with a W.D. 4O chaser?

When I was employed fitting engines & mechanical bits at Fairey Marine, the Sabre units fitted to Spearfish were painted the [green/ blue]as in the OP`s photo, In the time I was there I fitted out some 35 boats [ 70 engines ]& all were that colour I never saw a white one. IIRC this was a SABRE colour as the Perkins engines were that colour too

When I was employed fitting engines & mechanical bits at Fairey Marine, the Sabre units fitted to Spearfish were painted the [green/ blue]as in the OP`s photo, In the time I was there I fitted out some 35 boats [ 70 engines ]& all were that colour I never saw a white one. IIRC this was a SABRE colour as the Perkins engines were that colour too

Oop`sorry I misread Ct`s post

Once in the late 90's we were on the Trent and met a guy who had a six pot ford in his 50' narra. Our boat at the time was the same length and was fitted with a HRW3, it could pick its feet up. This guy came past me like an MTB with him hanging on to the tiller for grim death

I seem to remember he moored at Strawberry Island.

• 1 year later...

The 6D had a pneumatic governor so its not one of those

The D series truck engines came in 330, 360, 365 & 380 cubic inch versions, the 360 was the only one that ford supplied in turbo form. The later Cargo variant of the 360T had IIRC twin thermostats so its not a cargo unit originally.