Running a stove shutdown

Sarah and Ian

Featured Posts

Following on from my Carbon Monoxide alerts. Just curious how your stove burns when "shutdown". I normally have top vent closed and the bottom vent open a quarter i stoked up this morning at 6:30 came home tonight and there is still unburnt coal not even lit. I would gather this Is not burning hit enough any thoughts?? My Stove is a squirell. Thanks in advance

Following on from my Carbon Monoxide alerts. Just curious how your stove burns when "shutdown". I normally have top vent closed and the bottom vent open a quarter i stoked up this morning at 6:30 came home tonight and there is still unburnt coal not even lit. I would gather this Is not burning hit enough any thoughts?? My Stove is a squirell. Thanks in advance

Is the flue clear ? have you looked down it from the top with a powerfull torch ? Is there a lot of soot and crud accumulated on top of the upper baffle plate ? Also I would normaly have the top vent open half a turn and the same at the bottom.

Edited by mrsmelly

Is the flue clear ? have you looked down it from the top with a powerfull torch ? Is there a lot of soot and crud accumulated on top of the upper baffle plate ? Also I would normaly have the top vent open half a turn and the same at the bottom.

Following on, if you can tick the above boxes & your gas alarm hasn't told you otherwise. Congratulations, you have the Squirrel under control.

On returning home I would hope to find the space gently warm & enough unburned fuel to allow me to lightly riddle the grate, open the top & bottom vents & allow the stove to rev a little to heat the place & ready it for cooking.

They can hold a fire in for well over 24 hours if the wind is right.

taslim

hi

bit of topic is our boat still flotting thanks for your help

Not sure, but there's a berth available where your boat used to be :P

Hope you're having a good holiday.

if i burn wood, me draft is open one hole turn, and can keep the fire in all night.

if i burn coal, me draft is open one and a quater, and the fire will stop in all night.

have you not got the draft set to low??

That was my concern. Seemed a lot of unburnt coal sat on the top. When we came home 12hrs later. Wonder if this was also a contributory problem to my Monoxide Alarm going off.

what is a stove shutdown??????

Sorry Matty probably my poor terminology. Just how you set your stove for slow burning ie going to work or night times.

I think you have the Squirrel under control.

The amount of un-burnt coal will also be affected by how much you put in, in the first place.;)

Try a little less each time you load it until it does not stay lit, that will give the optimum load level.

When you have that sorted, the weather will change and you will have to start all over again.

Fickle things, these stoves. :lol:

Hyperthetically speaking then if the Carbon Monoxide alarm went of. Would that lead you to think that the stove was perhaps not burning hot enough (Not enought air). Sorry I just keep hearing alarms ringing in the night in my head!!!

Edited by Sarah and Ian

As above it's okay....

But...

If you damp down your stove you need to sweep your chimney more often, the coal isn't burning at it's optimum temperature and which causes more tar...