Boat winding in Berko

Rich

Featured Posts

I was told that it was possible to wind a 55ft boat by the railway station in Berko. Looking on Google Maps it might be possible above the lock but does anyone know for certain.

Richard

Edited by Rich

I was told that it was possible to wind a 55ft boat by the railway station in Berko. Looking on Google Maps it might be possible above the lock but does anyone know for certain.

Richard

easy, I turned Old Friends(70ft) opposite the station , it is marked on the Brass plaques as being a winding hole, but not Nicholsons for some reason.

It is just possible to wind above the lock up to around 58-60 ft, but that is when the pound is full and you have to know where to point you're end to miss the ground stakes.

You can also wind next to the garage and the pub(the Millhouse??) above bridge 143, again, needs some depth, but I have done it in a 70ft'er.

The Old Mill is the one by the garage Matty, nice meal to be had there, pricey but nice.

:smiley_offtopic:

I was thinking about winding opportunities for anyone approaching the Tring summitt stoppage, I think the one your discussing by the railway station is the last available for anything but the shortest boat, so the cruising range heading north is even more reduced than it first appears :angry:

The Old Mill is the one by the garage Matty, nice meal to be had there, pricey but nice.

:smiley_offtopic:

I was thinking about winding opportunities for anyone approaching the Tring summitt stoppage, I think the one your discussing by the railway station is the last available for anything but the shortest boat, so the cruising range heading north is even more reduced than it first appears :angry:

Ah, yes, the Old Mill, the only pub where my ex has actually said after looking at the menu, lets go somewhere else!!

You will not be able to wind a fatboat at the millstream, it is a very narrow flow.

I have seen 60ft boats wind in the Waitrose pound, but it was tight, very tight.

Matty's advice is all sound.

The station one will certainly allow 71'6", provided no plonker is in the no mooring bit on the towpath side, (as regularly happens).

I think anything over 55 foot above Broadwater lock you'll often struggle, but surely even that is only at the Southern end, so really doesn't get you a lot further than the proper winding hole at the station, does it ?

Ah, yes, the Old Mill, the only pub where my ex has actually said after looking at the menu, lets go somewhere else!!

You will not be able to wind a fatboat at the millstream, it is a very narrow flow.

I have seen 60ft boats wind in the Waitrose pound, but it was tight, very tight.

Agree that the mill race by the Old Mill just south on the offside below the Esso garage water point is possible up to 72 foot nb provided there is plenty of water in the pound (it's been a bit low recently) and there are no boats moored on the bend at the towpath side. Last time I was there the towpath was full of boats from Little Bridge all the way to Bridge 143 so combined with the low water 60 foot will be a struggle.

Phil on coal boat Hyperion winded successfully at the Station official winding hole on Berkhamsted Moor last weekend.

I've never attempted to wind a boat above Broadwater (Station) Lock 53 so can't comment.

From my view from the train this morning there is normal level water between Lock 53 and Lock 52 but between the Gas Two locks it is completely empty and the pound between the Top Gas Lock and Bushes is a long way down, probably not navigable. Above Northchurch the level seemed to be slightly down but there are boats still below Dudswell Bottom.

There isn't any space to moor between Ravens Lane Lock (54) and Castle Street Bridge and above Lock 53 to the bottom Gas Lock is pretty busy with limited spaces.

HTH

D

From my view from the train this morning there is normal level water between Lock 53 and Lock 52 but between the Gas Two locks it is completely empty and the pound between the Top Gas Lock and Bushes is a long way down, probably not navigable. Above Northchurch the level seemed to be slightly down but there are boats still below Dudswell Bottom.

Well I've just driven over that at Billet Lane bridge, and had thought I'd noted it didn't look too bad! (Perhaps I wasn't fully awake!).

Of course once anyone goes north much above Broadwater / Lock 52, unless they have a very short boat, the only way back out again is in reverse, anyway.

A very long reverse when they need water !

Except that I believe all the boats below Dudswell bottom are probably pointing South.

Assuming this stoppage is still happening as planned......

Stoppage: Northchurch Lock 49

23 Jan 2012 - 03 Feb 2012

Associated Regional Office: South East Waterways

Replacement of top gate. General repairs to bottom gates and lock structure.

(Enquiries: 01923 201120)

they couldn't go South at the moment anyway.

Thank you gentlefolk,the reason for the request is that we are getting a touch of "cabin fever" down here at Apsley and thought a trip up to Berko might cheer us up. Of course, this does depend on the weather.

Richard

Thank you gentlefolk,the reason for the request is that we are getting a touch of "cabin fever" down here at Apsley and thought a trip up to Berko might cheer us up. Of course, this does depend on the weather.

Richard

As well as Berko you could also wind at the bottom of Winkwell, immediately after the railway bridge, should the weather make it a good idea.

N

As well as Berko you could also wind at the bottom of Winkwell, immediately after the railway bridge, should the weather make it a good idea.

Provided there is not a rope across the winding hole.......

After all its not a public winding hole is it.......

Provided there is not a rope across the winding hole.......

After all its not a public winding hole is it.......

The winding hole is public,more towards the rail bridge than the marina, although there are often boats moored opposite.

I think you mean winding in the marina isn't allowed???

No I Mean the winding hole below the moorings

It's not or wasn't listed in nichs and was only dug out when BEM where I moor was created.

Certain people regard it as part of their marina and have taken to roping it off recently

Edited by idleness

No I Mean the winding hole below the moorings

It's not or wasn't listed in nichs and was only dug out when BEM where I moor was created.

Certain people regard it as part of their marina and have taken to roping it off recently

Well, it might not be in Nicholson's, though that was never definitive about anything, but it was certainly there, and I used it to wind a full-length Josher, well before the marina or even the boatyard was there.

N

it does me too, as I helped a 60 footer round by hauling, hard work, the stern rope round, his front end was as far up the opposite bank as he could go!!!!!!

I wouldn't have even attempted Old Friends after that, took the easy route down the lock and winding by the station.

We turned Ara round about 5 years ago, it was no problem about 200yards above the lock, it ought to be easier now as the wooden telegraph style bank protection on the offside has all drifted away now. anyone who wants the winding holes identifying please phone me on 07956656063 and I will talk them through the exact location.

Richard

Having looked at water levels over the last few days I wouldn't recommend heading towards Berko, I'd go south. All the levels are well down from Winkwell to Berko Waitrose. There are lots of boats at jaunty angles in various places and friends tell me they have self opening drawers and cupboards and some have even rolled out of bed. Drawing off more water from the rapidly disappearing supplies will not be popular if people start listing even more. The pound above Northchurch also looked low from the train.

D

Edited by debbifiggy

Having looked at water levels over the last few days I wouldn't recommend heading towards Berko, I'd go south. All the levels are well down from Winkwell to Berko Waitrose. There are lots of boats at jaunty angles in various places. Drawing off more water for the rapidly disappearing supplies will not be popular. The pound above Northchurch also looked low from the train.

D

Though probably not as bad as the Cow Roast to Dudswell pound, where all the boats in it could be doing their blacking, (the whole boat), at the current time!

These were a few days ago - Blue String Pudding has one on Facebook this morning showing even less water in there......

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg