What adhesive

warrior princess

Featured Posts

Can anyone advise on the best adhesive to use for securing wood to metal?

Depends on how much wood. If it is just a small piece (knob or handle etc), I'd use a 2 part epoxy (araldite or somesuch). If there is a load to fix (panels etc), I'd use one of the grab adhesives that come in a tube that fits in a mastic gun ("no more nails", although screwfix, B&Q and the like do much cheaper own brands).

Hope that helps.

B

I would recommend getting to professionals to fit out the boat in the first place ;)

Which then begs the question: "Which professionals do I get to fix wood to metal, please?". I think the OP's original question is the easier and less contentious of the two to answer.

People have spoken highly of Marineflex, not tried it myself but am about to.

Which then begs the question: "Which professionals do I get to fix wood to metal, please?". I think the OP's original question is the easier and less contentious of the two to answer.

Sorry, I do know Warrior Princess, and also had a part in the fit out of her boat, wasn't just me being rude to a complete stranger!

It's excellent, but it depends what you want to do with it. If the wood will have a constant pull on it - like if it was a shelf support for instance - then I think Marineflex would allow it to sag over time. If it was to secure some battens to which you applied cable clips to loom the wiring harness, or if you wanted to attach some trim, then it'd be great.

Tony

In all marine situations a mechanical fix is preferable, unless it's GRP then bonding can be achieved with resins etc. However the strength of the bond will always depend on the surface preparation - of both parts. Environment should also be taken into consideration. If it is likely to get wet, from above or below, condensation will affect wood in a different way to metal, same with the opposite, i.e. heat, if bonding to a metal roof the extreme heat during summer might soften any adhesive and the expansion and contraction is likely to weaken even epoxy resins. Can brackets be welded, or maybe a couple of methods used - belts, braces, and hands in pockets! As an old fitter used to say. Hope this helps.

Sikaflex and marineflex are the same. I have had great success using pink grip when joing wood and metal although I would ask what it is you need to fix and where as all have different initial grip.

horses for courses.

I use saba 750XL sealant/bonder (from my local chandlery) for sticking panels in place (holds well but can be removed by inserting a saw blade), expanding polyurethane for non-critical joints and epoxy mixed with fibre additive to a peanut butter consistency for permanent structural weathertight bonding and joints.

saba grabs well on metal and wood, but needs clamping or a temporary screw or two, to stop the panel moving down under gravity for an hour or so.

polyurethane has no grab, doesn't stick well to metal, and needs needs clamping against expansion (the glue fills any gaps very well).

epoxy sticks almost anything, has no grab and needs clamping.

Edited by ChrisPy

Depends on the size/contact area of what you want to stick together.

Evo Stick contact adhesive (the stuff in the red tubes/tins NOT the PVA wood glue) will stick almost anything to almost anything else provided its used properly. That is a thin layer on BOTH surfaces and let it dry, 10-15 minutes. I know this seems counter intuitive but its the trick that makes it work. Then stick two surfaces together. Job done, as I believe they say in certain parts of the country.

Hope this helps.

SAM

Ryde

IOW