Generators

nearlythere

Featured Posts

People have mentioned the usual Honda and Kipor suitcase gennies.

Has anybody purchased a Hyundai one ?? they seem to have a HY2000 model which is a good price and Hyundai stuff is usually quite good.

I'd be interested in any feedback from users of this Hyundai model ??

Would a Honda EU20i generator run a washing machine and other equipment on board and how silent are they. As anyone had any expierence of this gennie. cheers

No personal experience, other than seeing them on the towpath, they seem quite quiet.

Check the specification, it will only run a load up to 1.6Kw continuously with a short period of demand at 2Kw.

Thanks just trying to get things right for when we get the boat, hoping not to run the engine all the while thats why i,m looking into solar and gennies. I can,t remember if I have spoke to you keith moored close to sainsbury,s in Gloucester last year did or do you still drive artics if not, sorry. I do tend to talk a lot on the towpath trying to gain advice and knowledge

People have mentioned the usual Honda and Kipor suitcase gennies.

Has anybody purchased a Hyundai one ?? they seem to have a HY2000 model which is a good price and Hyundai stuff is usually quite good.

I'd be interested in any feedback from users of this Hyundai model ??

As far as reliability/etc, I would put the pecking order as:

Honda

Kippor

Hyundai

Trouble is, that's reflected in the price.

A mate I know got a HY2000. It was nothing but trouble. Difficult to start, ate plugs. Would run for 30 or so minutes and just stop (for no apparent reason). It would then refuse to start. Left over-night, it would then start (eventually), run for 30 or so mins and stop (and so the cycle continued). He eventually got a replacement from the supplier (as they couldn't cure it). It was not much better.

He ended up flogging it on eBay and got a Kippor. That seems to be ok so far, but is loud in direct comparison to the Honda.

I've got a Honda that is well used. Only thing it's ever had is service items (plugs, filter and oil once a year). Runs as sweet and as quiet as the day I got it.

You pay's your money, you take your chance.

Third 'new' Kipor generator about to go back. :angry: First one, purchased as new, clearly wasn't. Sent back for exchange as it kept 'searching' when in use. Second one same. (Again, clearly not new as the box had been opened and re-sealed and the tag removed from the generator, too.) Third one is new, but has such problems starting that it's going to go back next week, too! Takes about 20 pulls to start it - runs OK when it does start, but then is as hard to start again when it stops as the first time - hot or cold starting!

Anyone else had problems like this with a Kipor? I'm sure there's nothing we're doing wrong, so are we just unlucky? :unsure:

I recall reading about 1500rpm and 3000rpm generators somewhere on here but can,t find it now can someone put me in the right direction or just tell me which one is the best and why. And which is the better most reliable cocooned generator to look for. Cheers

Edited by lesrollins

Hi Pete

Maybe my quote was little 'short'. quoting a little more and highlighting may make the point more obvious.

There are so many variables as to the final water temperature that just filling with both will not give the correct temperature.

ps. I may be have been being a little tongue in cheek. ;)

Just for you keith,i will measure the water temperature next time the washing machine is in use.

cant have you losing sleep over it ,can we? :closedeyes:

I recall reading about 1500rpm and 3000rpm generators somewhere on here but can,t find it now can someone put me in the right direction or just tell me which one is the best and why. And which is the better most reliable cocooned generator to look for. Cheers

1500 rpm is better, most reliable is the one that works. ;) I am biassed, I have a Cummins Onan (7Kw) the engine part is actually a three cylinder Kubota. They do smaller models but they ain't cheap.

Just for you keith,i will measure the water temperature next time the washing machine is in use.

cant have you losing sleep over it ,can we? :closedeyes:

That is so kind of you.:lol:

Edited by bottle

I have a petrol Kipor 2600. It was cheap, but it is relatively quiet, and runs on invertor technology so is "economic", well as much as a generator can be.

Some people say they are rubbish and fail quickly. Others like them. My view is that as they are 1/3rd of the price of an equivalent Honda, you get 3 Kipors / Honda.

Mine has run only low hours at the moment, some 30 hrs odd. The only trouble I have is starting it after it has sat for a while when it takes a few minutes for the carburettor to fill with fuel.

Please Mr jelunga, can I ask you about the problem you mention starting your Kipor generator? As you may see from my post further in the Generator thread, we are having a real problem starting ours - blisters, bruises, strained shoulder muscles, and taking 20 pulls to start the darn thing! :banghead:

You say "it takes a few minutes for the carburettor to fill with fuel." May I ask how many are a few minutes in this instance? Would you be so kind as to talk me through exactly what you do to start it?

We really don't want to return a third Kipor - the first two were definitely 'wrong-'uns' - but to be honest, if this one goes back we'll be forced to either make do with a smaller genny, or rob a bank to buy a Honda! :rolleyes:

Thanks Keith

Just emailed for information on fischer panda generator probably need a sit down before I open the email about the price. If you went for a semi trad could you get a cocooned gennie in the engine bay or would it be to tight to work on everything.

Edited by lesrollins

I had this email back regarding 1500rpm and 3000 units.

You have been given information that is not entirely helpful. A 1500rpm generator will be bigger than a 3000rpm unit as it has to make the same power at half the speed. You probably only need 3-4kVA and the 1500rpm units tend to only exist in 6kVA or bigger due to their higher cost of manufacture as they are using multi-cylinder engines. Next, a 3000rpm generator is better if you use it for only an hour or two each day as it warms up more quickly and creates oil pressure faster at each start. A 1500rpm machine does not like to be used for short runs – it prefers to run all day. Note that a 3000rpm unit can run all day without issue.

In conclusion, 1500rpm machines are bigger, more expensive and should be employed where they have to run all day – under some reasonable load. 3000rpm machines are, as such, much more popular for leisure users who only need small amounts of power and run the machine sporadically. The life of 3000rpm machine is not (contrary to statements made on the web) half of that of 1500rpm machines. Their life is at worst 15% shorter and usually, because they warm up and create oil pressure more quickly and are used under load more often, they have a longer life!

I think the Paguro 4000 is the right choice as it is only a little more than the 3000 and it is extremely popular for this purpose (actually we have sold more 3000s to the inland waterways – but I think the 4000 give you a good increase in power for a tiny increase in price).

So where do I go from here perhaps down the pub for a re think :cheers:

As anyone heard of a paguro generator or sincro generator are they reliable and what are the spares like ?

I went down to Southampton to look at a little 3.5kw Paguro generator at a supplier a few years ago. It was good but not as quiet as I'd hoped and I'd still rather go for an 1800 rpm 4kw Northern Lights generator despite what you've been told.

So where do I go from here perhaps down the pub for a re think :cheers:

It's probably worth you going to some of the big boat shows to have a look. You've just missed the London boat show and I've forgotten when the Southampton boatshow is?

Anyway, if you're serious about spending that sort of cash on a diesel generator in your engine room then I'd go and visit some suppliers. Make an appointment and a salesman will lead you through the installation options. I spent about an hour and a half with the bloke at Paguro (can't remember the name of the supplier), who at one point had a whiteboard out and was showing me how I could use my boat's skin tank for cooling the generator even if I was moored up. It was interesting and you'll learn a few things.

1800 rpm that would 60hz then?

50hz

Edit, sorry you're right. 1500rpm/50hz

http://www.northern-lights.com/PDFs/brochure_pdfs/M673LD3.pdf

I had this email back regarding 1500rpm and 3000 units.

You have been given information that is not entirely helpful. A 1500rpm generator will be bigger than a 3000rpm unit as it has to make the same power at half the speed. You probably only need 3-4kVA and the 1500rpm units tend to only exist in 6kVA or bigger due to their higher cost of manufacture as they are using multi-cylinder engines. Next, a 3000rpm generator is better if you use it for only an hour or two each day as it warms up more quickly and creates oil pressure faster at each start. A 1500rpm machine does not like to be used for short runs – it prefers to run all day. Note that a 3000rpm unit can run all day without issue.

In conclusion, 1500rpm machines are bigger, more expensive and should be employed where they have to run all day – under some reasonable load. 3000rpm machines are, as such, much more popular for leisure users who only need small amounts of power and run the machine sporadically. The life of 3000rpm machine is not (contrary to statements made on the web) half of that of 1500rpm machines. Their life is at worst 15% shorter and usually, because they warm up and create oil pressure more quickly and are used under load more often, they have a longer life!

Personally, when I run my generator (Honda EU30i) it's primarily to recharge the batteries and I also do other things with the spare AC capacity like run the washing machine. So, the generator is generally running for at least 4 or 5 hours to get the batteries back to fully charged. Starting a generator just to run mains appliances isn't really energy efficient and would get expensive. I don't think 1500rpm generators have to run all day - that sounds like something said by someone who's trying to sell you a 3000rpm generator. Also it's not just about generator lifespan, it's also about service intervals.

Edited by blackrose

As anyone fitted a cocooned generator into a secondhand boat trad/semitrad without an engine room. I just wondered as most seem to fitted into new builds.

These are prices I have had back as anyone seen any better deals or are they the same all over

Paguro 4000 3.5kw £3933

Fischer panda pms 4000s 3.8kw/4.5kva £3259 + vat delivery

Fischer panda pms 5000i 4kw/5kva pure sine wave £5093

Dry exhaust system

Fischer panda pms 4500 scb 3.8kw/4.5kva £4212

Whats the best system wet exhaust or dry exhaust and would the boat have to come out of the water to fit a cocooned generator and where can I find a uk supplier for northern lights.

Cheers

Edited by lesrollins

As anyone fitted a cocooned generator into a secondhand boat trad/semitrad without an engine room. I just wondered as most seem to fitted into new builds.

These are prices I have had back as anyone seen any better deals or are they the same all over

Paguro 4000 3.5kw £3933

Fischer panda pms 4000s 3.8kw/4.5kva £3259 + vat delivery

Fischer panda pms 5000i 4kw/5kva pure sine wave £5093

Dry exhaust system

Fischer panda pms 4500 scb 3.8kw/4.5kva £4212

Whats the best system wet exhaust or dry exhaust and would the boat have to come out of the water to fit a cocooned generator and where can I find a uk supplier for northern lights.

£3-5K should buy a nice solar setup and a lot of engine diesel for winter months, so I'd consider that. :)

cheers,

Pete.

Energy Solutions for Northern Lights.

Regarding generator vs solar as recommended above, do a power audit and read the Victron link in this thread http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=43603. If your power usage is fairly low solar may be suitable...

Hi blackrose

Just wondered how you get on with the honda EU30i I see they are about the 2.5k mark and I see they have a 5 year warranty thats if you take it back to be serviced. What sort of hours are they between servicing and what life expectancy could you expect running it for 5 hours a day. I was told that the new EU30i weighs in at only 35kg instead of the old weight of 63kg. It seems a big weight reduction or have I been told duff information. Perhaps its a cheaper option than a cocooned generator.

Cheers

We purchased a Honda EU30i nearly 2 years ago (when we had a fuel problem with our built in generator and couldn't be without one). It ran faultlessly (as you might expect). It needed an oil change at 1 month or 20 hours and the air cleaner cleaned every 3 months or 50 hours. After that, the oil is changed every 6 months or 100 hours along with checking/cleaning the spark plug. It is very easy to work on.

It is too heavy for Jenny to lift onto the towpath when it was needed but OK for me. We stored it in the cratch (running it out of fuel first and then chained down).

As it happens, we only needed it for a few months (120 hours use) and is now mothballed.

Tony and Jenny