Can anyone identify this engine?

Featured Posts

Is that one of the 710 series of caps?

:blush:

Its the same cap as once used by Mitsubishi on all their road vehicles too petrol and diesel.

It's defo a Kubota engine.

Yes it looks like an early 3cyl Pola Kubota. The starter motor should be on the port side.Pre -engage type,2 bolt fixing,bottom bolt screws into the bell housing with no nut,top bolt has a nut and usually used for negative cable connection.

Yes it looks like an early 3cyl Pola Kubota. The starter motor should be on the port side.Pre -engage type,2 bolt fixing,bottom bolt screws into the bell housing with no nut,top bolt has a nut and usually used for negative cable connection.

Otherwise known as

אין לי מושג מזוין מה שאמרת. האם זה זמין גם בצבע ורוד עם הדפס פרחים?

Otherwise known as

אין לי מושג מזוין מה שאמרת. האם זה זמין גם בצבע ורוד עם הדפס פרחים?

Pola is or was one of the Kubota engine marinizers apart from Beta and others.

The starter motor should be in the same position as the above U-tube video.

Thats why all Mini owners carried a hammer...

1 - to whack the starter

2 - to whack the fuel pump (electric) mounted on the rear sub-frame

we would also put a marigold on the dizzy cap at this time of year and always carry a spare relay for the indicators - nothing worse than flashing very quickly at the front end!! rolleyes.gif

However, Star I concur (being an ex classic mini owner) that if you getting the dreaded clunk when you turn the key its your starter motor......

Edited by tillergirl

we would also put a marigold on the dizzy cap at this time of year and always carry a spare relay for the indicators - nothing worse than flashing very quickly at the front end!! rolleyes.gif

However, Star I concur (being an ex classic mini owner) that if you getting the dreaded clunk when you turn the key its your starter motor......

All the early mini's had an inertia starter motor with separate solenoid,could still give the good old clonk though.

Unless I'm going mad, my engine doesn't look anything like the engine in that vid... And I don't know that I'll know the starter motor when I see it anyway.... Hopefully I will be able to post something tomorrow that may make it clearer... Maybe! :lol:

Star. Follow the red lead from the starter battery down to where it bolts onto something and you should find the solonoid [usually] on top of the starter and 'part of it'. The starter will be bolted/screwed on to a bellhousing at the opposite end of the lump to the end where the water exits through the thermostat housing. It doesn't matter what kind of engine it is. They are all the same. But you should check that neither of the battery terminals gets hot when you try to turn the engine over on the key. Also check that the terminals of both leads are firmly attached at the engine end BEFORE you try keying it. BTW, if you have another person turn the key and you hold a finger on the metal of the solonoid you will FEEL the clunk as it engages. If the solly clunks but the starter does not turn the engine over you may hear a hum from the starter. let go of the key 'cause the starter is fcukked. Get it to a spark shop. They don't need to know what make and model your engine is or even whether your boat has a jacussi. They will just do the brushes and maybe armature and charge you a queen's ransom. Often they do an exchange where they take yours in an "here's one we prepared earlier" Where do think TV learned that trick?

P S It's all right for me and Mr. Bizzard to go direct to the starter with jump leads. We have maybe 70yrs experience between us. Don't even GO there.

Edited by Pentargon

Star. Follow the red lead from the starter battery down to where it bolts onto something and you should find the solonoid [usually] on top of the starter and 'part of it'. The starter will be bolted/screwed on to a bellhousing at the opposite end of the lump to the end where the water exits through the thermostat housing. It does not matter what kind of engine. They are all the same. But you should check that neither of the battery terminals gets hot when you try to turn the engine over on the key. Also check that the terminals of both leads are firmly attached at the engine end BEFORE you try keying it. BTW, if you have another person turn the key and you hold a finger on the metal of the solonoid you will FEEL the clunk as it engages. If the solly clunks but the starter does not turn the engine over you may hear a hum from the starter. let go of the key 'cause the starter is fcukked. Get it to a spark shop. They don't need to know what make and model your engine is or even whether your boat has a jacussi. They will just do the brushes and maybe armature and charge you a queen's ransom. Often they do an exchange where they take yours in an "here's one we prepared earlier" Where do think TV learned that trick?

P S It's all right for me and Mr. Bizzard to go direct to the starter with jump leads. We have maybe 70yrs experience between us. Don't even GO there.

I see no need to do mucking about with jump leads! Measuring the voltage drops will tell me everything, I reckon. If the motor is fooked and drawing no current I'd expect no dimming of the lights. therefore I think we are looking for a a loose joint nicking all the volts and as Pent says, getting HOT

I'll report my findings tomo!

If the motor is fooked and drawing no current I'd expect no dimming of the lights. therefore I think we are looking for a a loose joint nicking all the volts and as Pent says, getting HOT

I'll report my findings tomo!

The dimming lights trick is a good one, Mike. Regarding "reporting your findings tomo" Star needs to find her STARTER tomo. Let's not lose sight of her original objective? :rolleyes:

<Richard looks at the clock again, and wonders if Mike and Starry have expired from the cold...>

Richard

(Mike typing on Star's laptop logged in as Star)

Funny you should say that...! Got the engine running and just bin out for a cruise to the roundabout by Midland Chandlers and back, and FROZE TO DEATH!

Anyway, the starter motor..... Found it ok after a brief search of the engine bay. Cute little motor about the size of milk bottle, with a solenoid fixed on the top. No obvious dodgy wires on initial inspection but the dreaded 'cluck' still occurring with 12.5v measuring on the battery terminals. Sticking a beefy screwdriver across the two M10 terminals on the back if the solenoid reliably makes the engine turn over so this indicates to me that ALL the wiring is sound. Back to the key start and 'clunk'. Screwdriver across the terminals, engine turns over. My diagnosis? Dodgy big switch contacts inside the solenoid.

A few more idle turns of the key and suddenly the 'clunk' note changed and next try, the damned thing begins to work, so we started the engun, got some antifreeze added, then and buzzed off for a cruise in the dusk. (Photos to follow....!)

Anyway got back and moored up, and tested again. 100% reliability of starter. Huh. No doubt the problem will return but for now star is happy to wait a bit for that to happen.

So there we are. I think an exchange starter or a solenoid repair will still be necessary but for now it's working, AND Star has wasted all her money on bacon for Badsey Butties now anyway, so may we cancel the provisional plan for you to call in on Monday please Richard?

Your services will prolly be most welcome in a few weeks or so when the problem returns and Star is loaded once again ;)

Mike

(Mike typing on Star's laptop logged in as Star)

Cute little motor about the size of milk bottle, with a solenoid fixed on the top. No obvious dodgy wires on initial inspection but the dreaded 'cluck' still occurring with 12.5v measuring on the battery terminals. Sticking a beefy screwdriver across the two M10 terminals on the back OF the solenoid reliably makes the engine turn over so this indicates to me that ALL the wiring is sound. Back to the key start and 'clunk'. Screwdriver across the terminals, engine turns over. My diagnosis? Dodgy big switch contacts inside the solenoid.

Mike

PERFECT DIAGNOSIS from this distance. Sticky solonoid. Ball pein hammer in vicinity of beefy screwdriver and Bob's yer uncle.

If this is like what Chalice suffered (BMC 1800) early in our ownership, then it is not actually "sticky solenoid" as Pentargon describes it, but "crappy terminals covered in verdigris" inside that solenoid, which I take to be Mike's diagnosis. (The solenoid works fine, the terminals don't!

This does generate a certain randomness in "does it, doesn't it", and how long you delay the inevitable fix is ultimately dependent on how you feel about "I'm not totally gutted if it fails to start at all"!

Don't know about this starter, but when I took Chalice's to a proper "old style" automotive electrical place, they did me proud by not even replacing the whole solenoid, but by dismantling the old one, and (using far more heavy duty soldering equipment than I possess), simply changing over the bit with the crappy contacts in. Not expensive.

Their view was the less it has been used, the more likely they are to fail. Regularly use tends to clear off any deposits that have started to form due to damp, or whatever, but for engines regularly left untouched for years, (as we believe ours had been), then it becomes corroded enough, that when you do try and pass starter currents through it, the contacts start to get more messed up and pitted.

While Starry is on a land-line, it's probably OK to ignore, but I wouldn't if heading off somewhere where engine not starting might prove a major headache,

:D I love my forum boys.

Thanks everyone! I will investigate a long term fix more thoroughly when I have crossed a couple of more essential things off of my 'I need/ want' list, and have millions of monies! :lol:

When you do, may I suggest that you approach Jonathon Hewitt at Union Canal Carriers, probably the best Marine Engineer in Braunston, tell hem David on Helvetia recommended him.

:D I love my forum boys.

Thanks everyone! I will investigate a long term fix more thoroughly when I have crossed a couple of more essential things off of my 'I need/ want' list, and have millions of monies! :lol:

In this cold weather i'd start it up every couple of days and warm it through for about 20 mins.

Can anyone tell me what me engine is please? I know for sure that it's a Kubota and have been told it's a three cylinder 21hp.

Does anyone disagree? Also would appreciate if anyone can pinpoint what model etc it is exactly, as I need a new starter motor for it... :wacko:

Thanks in advance!

IMAG0387.jpg

IMAG0383.jpg

Looks like my Thorneycroft Inlander 3 cylinder Mitsubishi Engine.

Do you have a picture? It was sold to me as a Kubota and the engineer I got to check it before buying didn't say any different.

I will take a picture of my engine this weekend, so I could post the picture next Sunday. Will this be of any use. I also have the repair manual and parts manual, all on the boat though.