rottinghulk

curzons246

Featured Posts

On the river trent just north of shardlow marina and on the opposite bank is the rotting hulk of a wooden narrow boat does any body no anything about it.

Cheers Bill Liddle

Hi Bill,

Is it on the bank or in the water.If it's in the water is it afloat or sunk. Any photos? I can feel a drive up to shardlow coming on. By just north of the marina is it walkable? Sorry about all the questions but one man's rotting hulk is another man's.....well rotting hulk really.

Cheers

Carl

Hi Bill,

Is it on the bank or in the water.If it's in the water is it afloat or sunk. Any photos? I can feel a drive up to shardlow coming on. By just north of the marina is it walkable? Sorry about all the questions but one man's rotting hulk is another man's.....well rotting hulk really.

Cheers

Carl

Hi Carl,

it is up on the bank about 4ft clear of the water, it is opposite the marina river and no more than 500yrds from the cavendish bridge on the old A6. just prior to the Cavendish Bridge traveling from the A50 is an industrial estate housed in old wharf buildings. The boat is on the same bank at the rear of the yard but it looks like a high wall seperates the yard from the bank.

If you get stuck give me ring - email curzons246@yahoo.com for number

Cheers Bill

Its been there for aproaching 10 years that I know of. I was unable to get a positive identification then but someone must know.

Details of location......Landranger series, sheet 129 Nottingham and Loughborough. OS 449301

Its on the south bank of the Trent. There's no right of way shown along that part of the river bank but a field path does run from the main road to the south of the industrial area across to join the river bank further to the east of the boat. It might be possible to see it from there.

one man's rotting hulk is another man's.....well rotting hulk really.

And some of them are even used :blush:

Taken this morning, Staffs & Worcs, Swindon.

It wasn't there a couple of days ago.

rottinghulk.jpg

Anyone got any better examples? What was the one me and Colinjw saw a few weeks back coming through Kiddy, heading for Stourport? I think it was Mr. Bojangles ;)

And some of them are even used :blush:

Taken this morning, Staffs & Worcs, Swindon.

It wasn't there a couple of days ago.

rottinghulk.jpg

Anyone got any better examples? What was the one me and Colinjw saw a few weeks back coming through Kiddy, heading for Stourport? I think it was Mr. Bojangles ;)

That's a good'un, its still afloat! The one at Shardlow is 50+ years old and is up on the bank, gently returning to nature.

The Historic Narrow Boat Owners Club did a survey of wooden boats in 1999 and identified this one opposite Shardlow Marina as being a butty last called "Blackbird" which was not the original name. Said it was "breaking up on the riverbank" and was possibly a GUCCC ricky-built boat originally called Cardiff.

I am sure it could be restored if u had over £100,000 to spend. But why not buy Lucy or Gertrude the latter recently sunk at Newbury?

Paul H

I am sure it could be restored if u had over £100,000 to spend. But why not buy Lucy or Gertrude the latter recently sunk at Newbury?

Paul H

I wouldn't take money for Lucy. That would just be depriving her of restoration funds. It doesn't take £100k to rebuild a wooden boat, it didn't even cost that to do Raymond. About £30k would put Lucy back into mint condition.

Is Gertrude still sunk. If anyone knows the owner then I'd be happy to take my pumps down and help rescue her.

I saw Gertrude sunk about 10 days ago but not sure what current situation is.

Maybe £100k for a restoration is a bit over the top but Saturn's I believe cost over £70K. I am not sure how much Raymond's cost but if spending more had got it right I wish they had! I have owned a 70ft wooden boat and have hung round at yards long enough to know that once you start a retoration it is very hard to justify keeping any slightly dodgy bit of original oak. I would be astonished if you could do it for £30K unless this is with free labour.

I have fond memories of Lucy both when crewed by the Whitlocks and later when owned by Ray Williams and paired with Aster. The memory of sitting in a traditional backcabin and listening to Hawkwind through scumbled speakers will not easily be forgotten. Obviously this was in Ray's ownership!

Paul H

It doesn't take £100k to rebuild a wooden boat, it didn't even cost that to do Raymond.

When I had someone come to look at mine last year, he brought a young man who has 3 of his own, including a decent sized yacht.

He informed me that to have a 20ft Mahogany clinker built properly by a top yard today would cost around £100,000. I have also had this confirmed by at least 2 retired boat builders since then.

It often costs more to restore something than have a new one built.

The Historic Narrow Boat Owners Club did a survey of wooden boats in 1999 and identified this one opposite Shardlow Marina as being a butty last called "Blackbird" which was not the original name. Said it was "breaking up on the riverbank" and was possibly a GUCCC ricky-built boat originally called Cardiff.

Paul H

Thanks for the info Paul thats great. Cheers Bill Liddle

That'd pass for a decent boat down by 'ere. Have I missed something? :help:

The paint job only looks ok from a distance, there's half a tree on the roof and more in the well deck, and I'm really not sure about the plywood windows, other than that she's probably clean up nicely.

I saw that on my way to work and found it quite humourous, but that was before I realised there was a sensible conservation conversation going on here, so apologies to original posters.

Enough, I think we should butt out.

There is a wooden boat sunk near to yelvertoft (I believe it is called Thelma according to the WCBS website) on the GU leicester section, it seems to have been abandoned and I suspect is looking for a new home.

I refloated Thelma about 6 weeks ago. There was about 15' of keelson which was gushing water and had so much bodged concrete under it that we couldn't stem the flow. The bilge pumps couldn't keep up so we had to let her sink again. You can't save them all...

As to how much a boat costs to restore:

If you ntake a boat to malcom webster and tell him to restore it then, as one of the top professional boat builders on the cut then £70k is cheap. Raymonds cost seems to swing between £37k to £90 depending who you ask and what mood they're in at the time. But this was still using a full time professional and buying an awful lot of tropical hardwood. If you look at the privately restored wooden boats then the costs plummet. Hardy cost £27k to restore over 12 years.

If you add up the cost of all the materials to rebuild a wooden boat then it comes to less than £10k. If you use your boatbuilder selectively, ie. for the bends, stem and stern posts, and advice and guidance then a sub £30k rebuild becomes achievable.

£100k for a 20' clinker is a bit steep. I'd do it for less than £40k if anyone wants one! But the 'top yards' seem to be able to charge what they like. I would add though, a wooden narrowboat is a wooden box with pointy ends. A nicely shaped carvel (clinker, yuk) dinghy needs ten times the skill to put together. Don't want to offend any wooden narrowboaters, bear in mind I have three, but yacht building IS rocket science by comparison.

• 1 year later...
I saw Gertrude sunk about 10 days ago but not sure what current situation is.

Maybe £100k for a restoration is a bit over the top but Saturn's I believe cost over £70K. I am not sure how much Raymond's cost but if spending more had got it right I wish they had! I have owned a 70ft wooden boat and have hung round at yards long enough to know that once you start a retoration it is very hard to justify keeping any slightly dodgy bit of original oak. I would be astonished if you could do it for £30K unless this is with free labour.

I have fond memories of Lucy both when crewed by the Whitlocks and later when owned by Ray Williams and paired with Aster. The memory of sitting in a traditional backcabin and listening to Hawkwind through scumbled speakers will not easily be forgotten. Obviously this was in Ray's ownership!

Paul H

Found this photo and on a search of the forum thought it might be interesting

lucyaster.jpg

I have fond memories of Lucy both when crewed by the Whitlocks and later when owned by Ray Williams and paired with Aster. The memory of sitting in a traditional backcabin and listening to Hawkwind through scumbled speakers will not easily be forgotten.

That's got you taped then, Paul :wub:

There is a wooden boat sunk near to yelvertoft (I believe it is called Thelma according to the WCBS website) on the GU leicester section, it seems to have been abandoned and I suspect is looking for a new home.

Not anymore. It was removed late last year. I don't know exactly when, but when I cruised past at Christmas it was gone.

We were up around that part of the world a few weeks ago and the sunken wooden boat is no longer there.

On the river trent just north of shardlow marina and on the opposite bank is the rotting hulk of a wooden narrow boat does any body no anything about it.

Cheers Bill Liddle

I used to live on the farm moorings just past lock 1 T&M at Shardlow.

For those of you with Google Earth ......... 52 51 58.02N 1 20 03.97W (copy and past into the search) will put you on the path at the edge of the field where this wooden boat lies.

It was certainly there when I started living there in the late 80's.

Whilst using Mills' dockyard on the Erewash I was told that a couple or three sunken boats had been raised from the Trent some years previously (70's?) this being one of them, another was reputedly saved and restored, then there was an iron BCN boat the back end of which is sitting on ( or at least it was up to 5 years ago) the little parcel of land outside the farm cottage at

52 52 22.53N 1 20 03.95W

Going back to the wooden boat on the bank of The Trent, I understand its T stud is now welded on the front of the shorter "Marcellus" which was made out of the back end and is now running backwards.

At this point I run out of knowledge be it fact or hearsay. If anyone knows better please enlighten us all, somebody told me that somebody said is rampant!

zenataomm :wub: