Delivery costs

Lesd

Featured Posts

Hi Folks,

Am considering a couple of fitters in the NW (Liverpool / Manchester area) for a new boat/fit out. Both are quoting ex works pricing (but including crainage at their end). Does anyone have an idea of costs to have a boat delivered from that part of the world to the SE ? (Im in Herts, 30 mile north of London on GU). Or if not can anyone reccommend any firms I could contact for a quotation ?

Thanks

Les

WHY NOT COLLECT IT YOURSELF. It would be great to bring it down and gain experience at same time. After all you have to start somewhere so why not at boatyard and save a lot of cash.

LES

Edited by Sue1946

Hi Les

As Sue says book some holiday and bring her down south yourself.

If this is not possible there are firms/people that will do it for you, one of the forum members does it (Nigel Carton) now I only know him via this forum but that shouldn't put you of him :blush:

It does depend on how you wish to have it delivered. As someone has suggested Nigel from here can do this by canal, don't know his prices though you would have to contact him. If you are talking about delivery by road it can cost anything from £500 upwards.

I brought The Life of Riley up from John Pinder's place at Stoke Works, Bromsgrove, to our moorings at Bartington soon aftre she was signed off. Fitted the engine, ballasted with concrete flags, temporary front doors (still on!), all at John's, then off we went. No windows, high in the water 'cos of the weight of fittings still to go on, polythene gaffer-taped over the window aperatures, jury-rigged starter battery with a wander lead attached to spring-clipped tunnel light - great fun. Had a support staff helping and positioning Riley and caravan in strategic places. It was February; had it been in warmer weather we could have camped aboard.

We got two miles from the moorings to discover there was a stoppage at Barton, so we had to retrace our steps (splashes?) to Hardings Wood, go up the Macclesfield (my favourite stretch for picturesqueness), Peak Forest, Ashton, Rochdale 9, Bridgewater, Preston Brook, then home from the North. Enjoyed that too!

Think I paid about £400 for delivery from Liv. boats to the Midlands. They organised it on one of their trucks.

Dont forget to add crane costs at destination!

Hi Folks,

Am considering a couple of fitters in the NW (Liverpool / Manchester area) for a new boat/fit out. Both are quoting ex works pricing (but including crainage at their end). Does anyone have an idea of costs to have a boat delivered from that part of the world to the SE ? (Im in Herts, 30 mile north of London on GU). Or if not can anyone reccommend any firms I could contact for a quotation ?

Thanks

Les

Hello Les

If you can't arrange to move it yourself then there are several people advertising in the mags. to deliver boats, as well as Nigel Carton on this forum as has been mentioned.

Here are some ads. from Waterways World:

AB Tuckey 01926 812134

BSL 01942 719545

Paul Manley 07762 556411/0114 2863796

The first two I believe are by road, the third is a personal service from a retired chap, by water.

Nigel himself also advertises there, under the phone nos. 01280 709617/07989 388109

I can't vouch for any of these, I just pulled the details from the ads.

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

Just out of curousty you whent out on the riversoar passing barrow yesterday where you?

No - to my shame, not yet ready to cruise. There are at least three Life of Rileys or very sim. There will be a triumphant announcement hereon when the first voyage in anger takes place (but see previous post about Stoke Works - Bartington)

Thanks for the advice everyone. We're currently struggling over what type of boat to go for; until recently a fully fitted NB was the plan, but we have recently seen that a part fit widebeam is within our budget so its a huge dilema ! Anyway, back to the topic, if its to be a wide beam we wont be able to sail from Wigan to Herts anyway, if its to be a NB then I agree with Les and others that the experience of delivering the boat ourselves would be fantastic. I'd need to way the costs though, money lost at work (we're both self employed) doing the 2-3 week journey against the cost of a third party delivery. Steve thanks for the phone numbers, much appreciated.

Nigel, if your listening out there perhaps you could PM me and give me some ide of your costs ?

Les

Hello Les

If you can't arrange to move it yourself then there are several people advertising in the mags. to deliver boats, as well as Nigel Carton on this forum as has been mentioned.

Here are some ads. from Waterways World:

AB Tuckey 01926 812134

BSL 01942 719545

Paul Manley 07762 556411/0114 2863796

The first two I believe are by road, the third is a personal service from a retired chap, by water.

Nigel himself also advertises there, under the phone nos. 01280 709617/07989 388109

I can't vouch for any of these, I just pulled the details from the ads.

regards

Steve

No - to my shame, not yet ready to cruise. There are at least three Life of Rileys or very sim. There will be a triumphant announcement hereon when the first voyage in anger takes place (but see previous post about Stoke Works - Bartington)

Fair enough.

- I realise its a fairly common name, hence i didnt shout out to the helms man, and its a bit of trek from where your based. But worth a go.

- We (me and mate) where out on our bikes enjoying a pint on the riverside halfway though the day.

Daniel

(sorry les, back to topic everyone, lol!)

Thanks for the advice everyone. We're currently struggling over what type of boat to go for; until recently a fully fitted NB was the plan, but we have recently seen that a part fit widebeam is within our budget so its a huge dilema !

Cost of bringing a 50ft x 11ft6 barge down from Hebden bridge to Milton Keynes in 2002

Crand at Hebden Bridge £250

Trucking £880

Crane at MK £250

This was the cheapest that I could get it and involved a lot of cash!!!!!!

J