leeds and liverpool barge ambush

Guest leeparkinson

Featured Posts

hi there i am interested in finding old pictures of h r ainscoughs barges ambush and viktoria to help in the restoration

Can I be really nosey? I know these two boats well and am curious as to what restoration is being done to them. Derek was delivering diesel and gas on Ambush when I last saw her in about September.

Hi,

Cant be of any help here Im afraid but would very much appreciate any links/info/photos you may have come across on Parbold, which is 3 years younger than Ambush.I rescued it about 15-20 years ago and after a short article in Waterways World was last seen on a lowloader heading to Uxbridge.

Ta and good luck with your search as I have come across very little material.

Guest leeparkinson

the restoration on ambush and viktoria are to try and get them back in good order and to secure there future and to try meke sure they are not made into house boats. i have tried to contact the people who own parbold and aslo ironclad but with no success we are trying to form a group for the restoration and presovation of all the ainscough barges

Hi,

Cant be of any help here Im afraid but would very much appreciate any links/info/photos you may have come across on Parbold, which is 3 years younger than Ambush.I rescued it about 15-20 years ago and after a short article in Waterways World was last seen on a lowloader heading to Uxbridge.

Ta and good luck with your search as I have come across very little material.

the only pictures a know of are on the national historic ships web site

I believe PARBOLD is 'at work', and looking very trim, down below Springwell lock. Seems to be run by the firm with little grey Bantam(?) tugs, two of which appeared at the tug of war at Ricky festival.

i thought it was short boat clitheroe that they had but it could be posseible they have parbold to

Can I be really nosey? I know these two boats well and am curious as to what restoration is being done to them. Derek was delivering diesel and gas on Ambush when I last saw her in about September.

derek is still selling coal and diesel and what small amount of money comes from sales goes back into trying to keep them in working order

Thanks for that. Somewhere (hopefully)I should still have a letter that I recieved from someone (sorry cant remember name) who used to skipper Parbold. If I still have it and can find it I will scan it and forward a copy to you as makes some interesting reading. So theres my New Years resolution...

Apologies for going a bit off topic but hoped this may interest you.

I believe PARBOLD is 'at work', and looking very trim, down below Springwell lock. Seems to be run by the firm with little grey Bantam(?) tugs, two of which appeared at the tug of war at Ricky festival.

I think you are referring to Wood, Hall and Heward who do indeed have Clitheroe, but not as far as I am aware, Parbold.

David

Derwent, Clitheroe and Everton, all short boats, are owned by Wood, Hall & Heward, unconverted, carrying and based on GU.

Farnworth, the last short boat to be built, is also based on GU (Rickmansworth I think).

The Ainscough boats are:

Black Prince/Burscough 2 and Bodicea, ex Ainscoughs long motor boats, are in Ireland.

Ironclad/Cadellis, ex Ainscoughs and Albert Blundell, long motor boat went to GU, but may be elsewhere.

Parbold/Norman, long dumb boat, is converted and moored at Cowley.

Ambush (motor) and Viktoria (dumb) are owned by Derek Bent.

I am unsure what happened to Attractive and Claymore (both dumb).

Derwent, Clitheroe and Everton, all short boats, are owned by Wood, Hall & Heward, unconverted, carrying and based on GU.

Farnworth, the last short boat to be built, is also based on GU (Rickmansworth I think).

The Ainscough boats are:

Black Prince/Burscough 2 and Bodicea, ex Ainscoughs long motor boats, are in Ireland.

Ironclad/Cadellis, ex Ainscoughs and Albert Blundell, long motor boat went to GU, but may be elsewhere.

Parbold/Norman, long dumb boat, is converted and moored at Cowley.

Ambush (motor) and Viktoria (dumb) are owned by Derek Bent.

I am unsure what happened to Attractive and Claymore (both dumb).

Tim Wood - the Wood of Wood Hall and Heward - was in partnership with us at the time we owned and operated Farnworth, Ribble (at one time BWB Fair Lady), Mersey (John Liley's "Arthur") and Ironclad/Cadellis. Ribble of course went back to Burscough and is looking very smart still, but I think the others all got converted to houseboats and the bottom of the GU and the R.Lee.

the restoration on ambush and viktoria are to try and get them back in good order and to secure there future and to try meke sure they are not made into house boats. i have tried to contact the people who own parbold and aslo ironclad but with no success we are trying to form a group for the restoration and presovation of all the ainscough barges

derek is still selling coal and diesel and what small amount of money comes from sales goes back into trying to keep them in working order

Brilliant, glad to know they will remain as working boats :)