The best thing about being on a boat.

nina

Featured Posts

My husband and I are in polite conflict. I say polite conflict because we hardly ever argue and tend to be very giving towards each other. I wouldn't want him to be unhappy and vice versa. Because of our work commitments, we spend half the week on our narrowboat and half in our town centre flat. Both have completely different and attractive lifestyles, and in all honesty, I feel very lucky. But out of the flat and the boat, I prefer the boat. My husband, who is a large man, (I'm very small), gets a bit frustrated with the smallness of the narrowboat but I love it. I have a really nice electric oven in the flat but roast potatoes taste the best when cooked in my little gas oven on the boat.:-)

It's not so much the boat that's got me hooked as what the lifestyle provides in terms of wholesome simplicity and an awe each time we go out. Whenever we go off on even just a short cruise, I feel like I've been given a VIP invite to visit God's garden. The beauty, peace, tranquility and just the friendliness and calm of other boaters is so nice.

And so, we're at odds a little because we're trying to work out whether we make this lifestyle permanent, ie, live part time on the boat and part time in bricks and mortar. I could live like this forever but my husband prefers bricks and mortar I suspect. Although, resistant to the charms of the narrowboat as he is, I am noticing a seduction of his senses taking over:-) The more people we talk to, the more converts there are out there.

What does everyone else enjoy about being on their boat?

• Greenie 1

The closeness to nature - feeling the boat rock in the wind and hearing the rain on the roof

The sense of being on holiday as soon as I step on board

Freedom to move when I want to - not that I do that enough yet

Guest Quo Vadis

The sheer beauty and tranquility of the waterways.

The feeling of being back to and part of nature

Being in (more or less :) ) complete control of a small, simple world, rather than floundering about trying the juggle all the complications of normal day to day life.

The like-minded people that you meet.

I could go on, but I've gone all dreamy ................

My husband and I are in polite conflict. I say polite conflict because we hardly ever argue and tend to be very giving towards each other. I wouldn't want him to be unhappy and vice versa. Because of our work commitments, we spend half the week on our narrowboat and half in our town centre flat. Both have completely different and attractive lifestyles, and in all honesty, I feel very lucky. But out of the flat and the boat, I prefer the boat. My husband, who is a large man, (I'm very small), gets a bit frustrated with the smallness of the narrowboat but I love it. I have a really nice electric oven in the flat but roast potatoes taste the best when cooked in my little gas oven on the boat.:-)

It's not so much the boat that's got me hooked as what the lifestyle provides in terms of wholesome simplicity and an awe each time we go out. Whenever we go off on even just a short cruise, I feel like I've been given a VIP invite to visit God's garden. The beauty, peace, tranquility and just the friendliness and calm of other boaters is so nice.

And so, we're at odds a little because we're trying to work out whether we make this lifestyle permanent, ie, live part time on the boat and part time in bricks and mortar. I could live like this forever but my husband prefers bricks and mortar I suspect. Although, resistant to the charms of the narrowboat as he is, I am noticing a seduction of his senses taking over:-) The more people we talk to, the more converts there are out there.

Independence and no need of reliance on the normal services of society, total flexibility of where to go and when. I love the phrase VIP ticket to gods garden. I do sometimes wonder if the comparison of living on the bank and then on the boat makes the boat that much better ?

Nev NB Waterlily

We are in pretty much the same situation spending half the week on the boat and half at home. We do really like our house but much prefer being on the boat and will eventually if things go to plan trade in NC against a more liveaboard friendly boat (not a narrowboat before anybody asks :rolleyes: ) with the intention of quitting work for a few years and travelling around, both coastal and inland.

We prefer the laidback lifestyle that boating offers, simplicity, choice and freedom. We know that it can be hard in winter, we chose to endure half of last winter on the boat rather than at home and at times it was tough, but for the love of boating we stayed and put up with some pretty hard times. If you had no running water at home in bricks and mortar then im sure there would be more complaining than there is onboard a boat. :)

It is that closeness to nature that's the main addiction. Plus just closing the door on what seems like an ever increasingly mad world. I smile when I get back to our boat and try discussing the news or any latest events with friends. They look at me with blank expression wondering what I'm talking about. Their life of oblivion means they don't engage with the outside world on any level. Yet, some of them are very clever academics with knowledge on a wide range of subjects.Considering how town dwellers communicate mostly via their iphone, I have the most stimulating conversations with boaters.It's as though they have an improved clarity as a result of not being bombarded with daily breaking news bulletins.

However, try talking about the Eurozone or a referendum and it's blank looks all round. Love it!

I just like the whole atmosphere of the canals and rivers, the feeling of being separeate from the mad rushing about of the general public and traffic on the roads. i stay at my girlfriends flat regulary and can always hear the tv from next doors flat, the woman in the upstairs flat banging around. it all seems so noisy compared to being on the boat.

Edited by KeithL

I find the boat much warmer than our bricks and mortar address. We were sat in our flat last week with the heating on and I felt cold. Winter on the boat brings it's share of problems but I do find it the warmest place to be just because it's a loss space to heat up. Boats must be so well insulated as there seems to be no heat loss.

Too many things to mention, but I can single out the best moment: when we have driven from home to our boat (2 hours), loaded her up, started her up and cast off, by the time we've gone down two of the four locks between our mooring and Cropredy I feel completely at ease. Any trials and tribulations related to home and work just fall away as if by magic. This was paricularly helpful earlier this year when we'd had to move out of our home for several months and were fretting about ite renovation.

It's like a different world no rush no push

I agree with most of the above especially getting close to nature, but also the great sense of community & of history. I feel very lucky to be able to immerse myself (not literally very often) in the wonderful world of our canals. It is hard to put into words how special it is.

It's the little things I love. For example, going back tonight, opening the door to a lovely warm space and roasting pumpkin and potatoes for tonights dinner, along with other things. I cooked roast potatoes on the boat last night and they just taste different for some reason.

Coming home from 12 hours at work in London, plus two hours commute either way wedged armpit-to-armpit with other commuters on tube and train; and coming home to the boat: taking my suit jacket off and putting on my fleece, sticking the kettle on the cooker while I get the stove going in the other room - and slowing feeling the boat warm up and come to life. It's therapy from everything else in life. :)

• Greenie 2

I find the boat much warmer than our bricks and mortar address. We were sat in our flat last week with the heating on and I felt cold. Winter on the boat brings it's share of problems but I do find it the warmest place to be just because it's a loss space to heat up. Boats must be so well insulated as there seems to be no heat loss.

Funny you should say that. im sat on my boat now in a t shirt, toasty warm with a stew simmering on top of the stove. For quite some years we owned a house and a boat, even though the house was in a fabulous location in a cornish harbour we rarely used it so evntualy even though we easily rented it out we sold it as we had no further use for it. You are either liveaboard boaters or your not.......... :cheers:

Funny you should say that. im sat on my boat now in a t shirt, toasty warm with a stew simmering on top of the stove. For quite some years we owned a house and a boat, even though the house was in a fabulous location in a cornish harbour we rarely used it so evntualy even though we easily rented it out we sold it as we had no further use for it. You are either liveaboard boaters or your not.......... :cheers:

I'm sat on mine too cooking dinner and in front of a warm fire! I agree with everyone's comments plus for me also, it's the people you meet. Salt of the earth.