Firefox

Bullfrog

Featured Posts

I also usually use Chrome now, after using Firefox for many years. The reason for the change was that the latest Firefox seemed slower than before and started hanging for some reason but after using Chrome for a while I will not move back soon. Opera is OK as well but I don't find it quite so easy to use. All personal preferences of course.

I use Thunderbird for email and Gmail when travelling. The advantage/disadvantage of Thunderbird is that an email is downloaded and stored on my computer, with Gmail it is in the cloud unless specifically downloaded - so it will disappear at some date. I sometimes refer back to very old emails so that would be a disadvantage for me.

Probably best to try both pump-out and cassette and see which one suits you best!

John

Edited by jonk

I have Chrome on my Vista PC, as well as IE.

Chrome is much better but for some reason I can't include it in my "startup" folder, it always locks up when the PC starts although it will work just fine if I start it manually after the boot-up has finished.

One thing I have found, if you set any browser other than IE to be your default browser, then your regular Windows updates will not happen.

I think this is extremely devious of Microsoft. It menas that if you are using Chrome etc, and you click on a link in an email or document, then IE will start up and take you there instead

One thing I have found, if you set any browser other than IE to be your default browser, then your regular Windows updates will not happen.

Not correct on XP or Vista I think.

My default browser is always FireFox, and automatic Windows updates happen as expected.

It is certainly true that somethings actually done by logging on to Microsoft's own site insist on the use of IE, (Dell are guilty of that too).

But automatic updates don't rely on browser, so I acn't see why default browswer should affect them.

Not correct on XP or Vista I think.

My default browser is always FireFox, and automatic Windows updates happen as expected.

It is certainly true that somethings actually done by logging on to Microsoft's own site insist on the use of IE, (Dell are guilty of that too).

But automatic updates don't rely on browser, so I acn't see why default browswer should affect them.

Correct - I use FF and Windows auto updates no problem - which is how I got in my recent pickle...

Edited by MJG

Well they definitely stopped on my PC, using Vista, and started happening again when I changed the default so I tried it again and the same thing happened.

Just me then?

Quite possibly not - but I certainly haven't had it.

The only time I've had auto updates not happen on any machine is when I turn them off.

Normally when I'm on the dongle on the boat to save bandwidth.

Well they definitely stopped on my PC, using Vista, and started happening again when I changed the default so I tried it again and the same thing happened.

Just me then?

I remember XP used an update system requiring a browser interface. The browser had to be Internet Explorer. You could still use an alternative default browser though & manually check for updates with IE.

I have Chrome on my Vista PC, as well as IE.

Windows update works fine for me with FF as my default browser.

Nick

Firefox for me, chrome for Chris both on the same computer. We both use gmail so don't need to keep logging in / out of it.

Firefox is better for when you want to right click to save an image or " view page source " and things like that. Chrome might be a bit faster, but I wouldn't change. Windows updates are not a problem for either.

Cheers, David

I know,but i don't want to,i don't find them a nuisance,they do seem to improve things slightly,especially any registry alterations.

soz biz I took

Me to.About 12 windows updates every month.

as irritation. Wrong ... clearly....