I would like to stand for CaRT Council

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

Don't worry I am not referring to myself but think a thread where people can say they are willing to stand mighty at least tell us who is available. Maybe another thread where we can say who we would like to stand so that person can give a clear yes or no answer, I just think we are going round in circles on this.

Edited by cotswoldsman

Don't worry I am not referring to myself but think a thread where people can say they are willing to stand mighty at least tell us who is available. Maybe another thread where we can say who we would like to stand so that person can give a clear yes or no answer, I just think we are going round in circles on this.

Agreed and glad to see you've started a "I would like to stand" thread. That way at least you know who on the forum wants to stand which members need to know to select 1 or up to 4. The latter can be guided by the poll in the "how many should we select" thread

Mick

Edited by zodiak

:banghead:

Its not clear, so are you standing? :rolleyes:

I'm not!

Popcorn anyone :icecream:

No, I'm not either; I'm much too quiet and reserved :blush:

I was just trying to say you need a list of people who are committed to standing before you can vote on them, and a simple way to achieve this is by means of this thead.

On it people who have been suggested by others can confirm they would stand and anyone who wants to put themselves forward can do so

Mick

Edited by zodiak

So much discussion, so many names advanced, and so much silence from those whose names have been suggested!

Now a certain degree of modesty, and being dragged reluctantly to the chair is all well and good, but there is a limit.

I have decided, provisionally, that if sufficient people are prepared to support my nomination, and in the absence of those who I personally believe would make a better job of it than I would, I am willing to throw my hat into the ring. Naturally, if it subsequently appears that others who would be better for CaRT's future are also standing, I reserve the right to retire gracefully from the fray.

In putting myself forward, I fully expect to receive no small number of brickbats from those who would oppose me if the only opposition was Robin Evans himself!

I should also set out why I feel I should stand, and what position I would take if (heaven forfend) I was elected;

It is my perception that the current consultative regime employed by BW is heavily biased towards clubs and associations, to the extent that almost all representation comes from that quarter, and that it consequently over-represents the views of those who choose to become members of such clubs, unsatisfactorily choosing to approximate the views of the club members as representative of all boaters.

Such an assumption is, of course, flawed. The mere fact that they choose NOT to join such clubs tells us much about the fact that such boaters don't view the canals in the same way as members of clubs, and have different priorities.

I also worry that representatives arrive with baggage, claiming that they represent "x" people, where "x" is the total membership, regardless of the fact that the view they express may be at odds with the view of a significant part of their membership.

If elected, I am elected to put forward what I see as the best answer on any occasion. I will naturally have a proper regard for what I can tell of public opinion, recognising that even if my personal view is "best", an alternative that was more widely accepted may well be more workable, and would be quite prepared, if required to support a course of action that might not be my own personal first choice. It is very possible that you might see me advance one position here (my personal view), and an entirely different position in discussions at CaRT

In any case, I would do so without any claim to so many thousand people supporting that position, merely asserting that the position that I was advancing was that which I judged, based on both my views and what I know of the views of boaters at large to be.

Over the next few days, I will prepare my formal manifesto, and then it is a matter for the readership to determine whether they wish to endorse me or not.

So much discussion, so many names advanced, and so much silence from those whose names have been suggested!

Now a certain degree of modesty, and being dragged reluctantly to the chair is all well and good, but there is a limit.

I have decided, provisionally, that if sufficient people are prepared to support my nomination, and in the absence of those who I personally believe would make a better job of it than I would, I am willing to throw my hat into the ring. Naturally, if it subsequently appears that others who would be better for CaRT's future are also standing, I reserve the right to retire gracefully from the fray.

In putting myself forward, I fully expect to receive no small number of brickbats from those who would oppose me if the only opposition was Robin Evans himself!

I should also set out why I feel I should stand, and what position I would take if (heaven forfend) I was elected;

It is my perception that the current consultative regime employed by BW is heavily biased towards clubs and associations, to the extent that almost all representation comes from that quarter, and that it consequently over-represents the views of those who choose to become members of such clubs, unsatisfactorily choosing to approximate the views of the club members as representative of all boaters.

Such an assumption is, of course, flawed. The mere fact that they choose NOT to join such clubs tells us much about the fact that such boaters don't view the canals in the same way as members of clubs, and have different priorities.

I also worry that representatives arrive with baggage, claiming that they represent "x" people, where "x" is the total membership, regardless of the fact that the view they express may be at odds with the view of a significant part of their membership.

If elected, I am elected to put forward what I see as the best answer on any occasion. I will naturally have a proper regard for what I can tell of public opinion, recognising that even if my personal view is "best", an alternative that was more widely accepted may well be more workable, and would be quite prepared, if required to support a course of action that might not be my own personal first choice. It is very possible that you might see me advance one position here (my personal view), and an entirely different position in discussions at CaRT

In any case, I would do so without any claim to so many thousand people supporting that position, merely asserting that the position that I was advancing was that which I judged, based on both my views and what I know of the views of boaters at large to be.

Over the next few days, I will prepare my formal manifesto, and then it is a matter for the readership to determine whether they wish to endorse me or not.

Well done David, I don't always agree with what you say but I feel you are someone who is prepared to stand up and say it as well as stand your ground.

Ah, but isn't CWDF a bit of a club or association?

Having said that I'd support you despite several differences in the past because you are not a "BW basher" but you are capable of acting in the interests of boaters in general.

I was actually hoping maybe we could get some replies to some of the as yet unanswered questions before people needed to commit.

Although I have reservations about simply saying "yes" when I think much about the "job" and the process remains unknown, it seems several people have directly asked "would I be prepared to put my name forward ?".

I have been thinking for some time that I need to fill some of my life with something that is a bit more of a challenge than just settling even more comfortably into my early retirement.

So "yes", I think I could bring quite a lot to this role, and am currently could find the considerable time that I feel would e necessary to give it my full commitment.

I'm not as organised as Dave to even give a mini-synopsis prepared at the moment, so will just rely initially on the fact that several people have directly prompted me to throw my name in. So it looks like I may have to learn how top say something important restricting myself to just 150 words for once - I don't imagine I'll find it easy! :rolleyes:

• Greenie 2

I was actually hoping maybe we could get some replies to some of the as yet unanswered questions before people needed to commit.

Although I have reservations about simply saying "yes" when I think much about the "job" and the process remains unknown, it seems several people have directly asked "would I be prepared to put my name forward ?".

I have been thinking for some time that I need to fill some of my life with something that is a bit more of a challenge than just settling even more comfortably into my early retirement.

So "yes", I think I could bring quite a lot to this role, and am currently could find the considerable time that I feel would e necessary to give it my full commitment.

I'm not as organised as Dave to even give a mini-synopsis prepared at the moment, so will just rely initially on the fact that several people have directly prompted me to throw my name in. So it looks like I may have to learn how top say something important restricting myself to just 150 words for once - I don't imagine I'll find it easy! :rolleyes:

Took you bloody long enough! Well done!

It would be good to have a poll with all the regular contributors on to see who comes out as leader, as I dont know how to start a poll I will leave the idea to those who know.

Edited by Laurence Hogg