Ash Vac

JerryP

Featured Posts

Ooh! I've never even heard of those before, anyone got one? Are they any good?

I always worry a bit about hot ash being sucked through one of these, that said, used properly I think it's a neat idea.

Ooh! I've never even heard of those before, anyone got one? Are they any good?

No, I've got a rubbish Black and Decker dust buster which is worse than useless.

So I'm on the lookout for a good battery vac. The Lidl one is a bit big I think.

I always worry a bit about hot ash being sucked through one of these

Isn't that the idea? Otherwise why not just call it a vacuum cleaner?

Ash vacum available from Lidl on 12/12/11

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_26854.htm

That link just goes to the website. I can't find the ash vac.

Edited by blackrose

Isn't that the idea? Otherwise why not just call it a vacuum cleaner?

That link just goes to the website. I can't find the ash vac.

If you click on 'continue without postcode it'll take you there.

I am sure I have read somewhere that you can't use these with hot ash, and wouldn't the suction risk fanning the flame so to speak?

I kind of assumed just on glancing at it that it was a 'special' vac that could manage hot ash, otherwise why not just get one of the shit handheld vacs that everyone else sells?!

fair enough, I think it might be just me, but in my experience adding air to a heat source usually results in a greater heat. That said, if there is no fuel to burn...

I kind of assumed just on glancing at it that it was a 'special' vac that could manage hot ash, otherwise why not just get one of the shit handheld vacs that everyone else sells?!

I doubt any of the hand-held vacs can successfully drag a full set of spent ash out of a boat stove - or at least many times, and still work well.

Apart from the size, I can see two issues with this thing.

1) I can't see it being much use to anybody who is not prepared to let the fire go fully out for long enough not to cool fairly completely - so probably not a lot of use to full time live-aboards.

2) Burning the fuels we do, if we do shut the stove off more or less fully when leaving the boat, to ensure it goes out, some of the not completely spent fuel could be on the meaty side, amnd might block the vac. If you have to faff around pulling any big bits out manually before you vac, I can't really see the point.

But if I had room to store something that big, I'd use the space for something else, I think.

They won't manage hot ash, but will manage warm. There basically hold more than a standard vac and there filters are most likely made of metal. There for replacing a dust pan and brush.

Pound shop dustpan and brush for me then! :lol:

A pound shop one will not manage it hot either.....

No plastic dustpan is likely too.

Ours on Chalice has more than a little evidence of people wrongly assuming the ashes were now "cold enough".....

I once set fire to a regular hoover whilst cleaning out the fire. I take it this has a metal hose as well?

Yes it does. And its has an 18L metal body. And its only 500 Watts power on 230v.

Its on sale in our local Lidls from 12th Dec.

Brian

I had a similar style of vac years ago when rebuilding the house. Unlike a standard vac, it would pick up anything to the size of an oxo cube. Nails, screws, bits of wood and plaster you name it - sucked up with no problem. Brick dust, sawdust all went into the box. Whenever I emptied it, I used to give the filter a knock to clear out the loose dust. I gave it away to a friend who was also doing some remedial work on his house. I think it is still in use. I never did use it on hot/warm ash, but it cleared a heavy fall of soot out of a fire back during the referbishment. Would I have another of this type - yes in deed. These are heavy duty cleaners. There are versions that will pick up water, mine had a paper filter, similar to a car air filter, so I never tried it with water.