BCN 24 Hour Challenge 2012

Capt Ahab

Featured Posts

Evening all.

As there is now no room for me on Cobbett because the Ginger Pig has decided to take up the available floor space I need a space to do my crewing thang.

Exceedingly well house-trained and generous with cider (says Wriggly).

Anyone got any space for me? I know Birmingham like the back of your hand.

Dave-the-Brummie xxx

Shirley - - - it should be Ginger Piglette?

Shirley - - - it should be Ginger Piglette?

She was, but since Ellen is now all growed up and everything, with a real job and stuff, I promoted her.

I'm not convinced she's grateful, mind. I suspect she'd have something rather pithy to say on the subject if you asked ....

• 3 weeks later...

So a serious contender then rolleyes.gif. Have you discovered the weed hatch yet.

Oh dear, are we coming across as being just a bit too keen ;)

We were moored at Windmill End and I thought I'd have a look down the Boshboil Arm, well, just because it was there.

Going in wasn't difficult but reversing out caused a few problems, mainly getting the rear end stuck near the bank, followed by much revving, prop dredging and 'orrible black mud coming up to the surface. :angry: (And yes, RW does have a 'girlie button' but I still haven't used it)

I was struck by the contrast between the water here and the Old Main Line, it was really clear when we moored at the BCM back in October.

As for the weed hatch, I followed RWLP's advice and had a look down there after his message. And yes, lots of shredded poly bags and the odd bit of rope wound around the prop shaft. So thank you for that Richard :cheers:

SAM

Ryde

IOW

By popular demand (well, one person, anyway) the BCN Planner has been updated with the 2012 rules/points system. I have subjected it to my usual high level of beta testing*, but please get in touch if you find any howlers. Besides those situated to the North West, natch.

El Gato's website

I've think I've caught most of the rule changes, Parkhead to the South portal of the Dudley tunnel appears out-of-bounds again as it wasn't on my list. Also, I wasn't able to accommodate the oddity in the points system where you get points for going to the North portal and back, but nothing for going one way (perhaps because you can't as Parkhead is shut?).

Apologies for the delay, but this was meant to be launched with the re-vamped site, but the tarting up was taking too long. So don't be surprised that most of the rest of the site is kaputt. Have fun.

*none whatsoever

• Greenie 1

By popular demand (well, one person, anyway) the BCN Planner has been updated with the 2012 rules/points system. I have subjected it to my usual high level of beta testing*, but please get in touch if you find any howlers. Besides those situated to the North West, natch.

El Gato's website

I've think I've caught most of the rule changes, Parkhead to the South portal of the Dudley tunnel appears out-of-bounds again as it wasn't on my list. Also, I wasn't able to accommodate the oddity in the points system where you get points for going to the North portal and back, but nothing for going one way (perhaps because you can't as Parkhead is shut?).

Apologies for the delay, but this was meant to be launched with the re-vamped site, but the tarting up was taking too long. So don't be surprised that most of the rest of the site is kaputt. Have fun.

*none whatsoever

Thanks!

Anyone starting from the Camp Hill, Ty-Phoo Basin area might be interested to know that the Anchor Inn, Bradford St. B5 6ET is advertising a Jubliee Festival, 50+ beers, 31st May - 6th June. :cheers:

BTW Is there access to/from the canal at Ty Phoo ? I was towpath walking around there at Christmas and came across a locked gate, non BW key, blocking the towpath towards the basin.

SAM

Ryde

IOW

Yes, why would I want to pay £3 to get into a pub that runs out of beer? Especially after providing the spectacle outside

Richard

I think I may find a mooring outside the basin this year.

I think I may find a mooring outside the basin this year.

Oh, the basin will be fine, might have to find a different pub though. One with enough beer would be good

Richard

Oh, the basin will be fine, might have to find a different pub though. One with enough beer would be good

Richard

It does help.... I will have my secret stash of home brew on board in case the worst happens! It will be good to see you again.

Andy

I see that there is live entertainment at the Wharf Tavern this year:

http://captainahabswaterytales.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/bcn-marathon-challenge-approaches.html

I am in correspondence with John Carrington and Judy Hodge of the Truman Trust over this matter

I want to be convinced that the BCN Challenge crews are not a captive audience to be charged £3 for using the pub

Richard

I wanted to, I would have offered myself as crew, but work have got first dibs and they seem to expect me to go in !

I'm really miffed because until now I was really hoping to get along. Never done it before. I hope there will be photos!

David

Edited by G4YVM

I am in correspondence with John Carrington and Judy Hodge of the Truman Trust over this matter

I want to be convinced that the BCN Challenge crews are not a captive audience to be charged £3 for using the pub

Richard

Well, nothing is changing. The trust seem to think the BCN competitors will be willing to pay, and that the band's followers and trust members will swell the pub beyond the usual half-full. That's half full of BCN competitors and a handful of locals

I'd better drop this, I'm turning into an old curmudgeon

Richard

<Richard goes off to search for pubs near Walsall Town Basin>

Well, nothing is changing. The trust seem to think the BCN competitors will be willing to pay, and that the band's followers and trust members will swell the pub beyond the usual half-full. That's half full of BCN competitors and a handful of locals

I'd better drop this, I'm turning into an old curmudgeon

Richard

<Richard goes off to search for pubs near Walsall Town Basin>

I see that it says 6PM - 11PM, well I am certainly expecting to be in the pub well before that, like at 2:30PM rolleyes.gif. Are they suggesting that those already in the pub will be expected to fork up £3 or leave? Perhaps by then a change of scene would be a good thing, they will probably have run out of mild by then anyway.

I see that it says 6PM - 11PM, well I am certainly expecting to be in the pub well before that, like at 2:30PM rolleyes.gif. Are they suggesting that those already in the pub will be expected to fork up £3 or leave? Perhaps by then a change of scene would be a good thing, they will probably have run out of mild by then anyway.

Red Lion around the corner looks promising

Richard