Vents and boat covers

Kinver Canopies

Featured Posts

Hi All

Been asked this a few times now, so to cut to the chase, I've had a word with one of the many boat safety officers and he told me that for a BSC he would be quite happy for this to pass.

gallery_13897_675_57446.jpg

As long as it's not touching (or covered) it's fine.

Hope this may help some of you out.

Edited by Kinver Canopies

It the idea that gapa around the bottom or doors will provide adequate ventilation? But what about boats with dodgers or other very "sealed" canopy designs?

I think you have missed the point.

I don't believe the original post is about how well fitted or sealed the canopy is.

Kinver are advertising, in a gentle way, that they have a canopy design for the steering position that does NOT cover the chimney (or vent), and has been passed as OK by a BSS examiner.

If I'm right, the thread would have been more accurately titled something like "Vents and boat covers Without covering vents.".

HTH

Hi All

Been asked this a few times now, so to cut to the chase, I've had a word with one of the many boat safety officers and he told me that for a BSC he would be quite happy for this to pass.

(Photo Snipped)

What on earth is that thing anyway (the vertical pipe with the strange venturi like shape?).

Is that the "vent" you are referring to?

(Could it be the latest style of BS 8511 double insulated chimney made specially for boats by Jet Propulsion Ltd?)

Richard

(Photo Snipped)

What on earth is that thing anyway (the vertical pipe with the strange venturi like shape?).

Is that the "vent" you are referring to?

(Could it be the latest style of BS 8511 double insulated chimney made specially for boats by Jet Propulsion Ltd?)

Richard

Yes its a daft vent but not as daft as fitting a greenhouse to the back of a narrowboat. If ya scared of getting a bit damp buy an airfix kit they are designed for the non outdoor types and dont look absolutely ridiculous.....

• Greenie 2

It looks like one of these:

Morco flue thingy

I'd be wary of having a boiler flue so close to a "plastic pram hood". If for no other reason than I don't know how hot the exhaust gas is going to be and I wouldn't want to melt the plastic.

Ah right - thanks - my education continually improves! I didn't realise a Morco had such an elaborate flue pipe.

I agree about the hot exhaust from it and the closeness of the cover - I think that cover could develop a hole very soon near the flue top.

Richard

Edited by rjasmith

Yes its a daft vent but not as daft as fitting a greenhouse to the back of a narrowboat. If ya scared of getting a bit damp buy an airfix kit they are designed for the non outdoor types and dont look absolutely ridiculous.....

You can't use them whilst travelling around our way anyhow. They won't go under the bridges and you can't see out of them to steer when it is raining because they have no solid screen/wipers. I suppose they are OK if you rarely travel and need the covered space.

You can't use them whilst travelling around our way anyhow. They won't go under the bridges and you can't see out of them to steer when it is raining because they have no solid screen/wipers. I suppose they are OK if you rarely travel and need the covered space.

Whilst we can cruise round our way with it up it is indeed the lack of visibility in the rain that stops us from doing so. Handy for keeping the wind off though when it's not raining and you can see out of it.

Hi All

gallery_13897_675_57446.jpg

Hmmmmm. For domestic installations I'm pretty sure the building regulations require minimum clearances to flue terminals which this arrangement wouldn't meet. And since boat installations already have short flues compared with buildings, anything which could lead to increased risk of downdrafts doesn't look very clever to me!

A boat safety officer (whoever that may be) may say its fine, but if you fit a canopy like this around an existing flue, and a boat occupant dies of CO poisoning, I've a pretty good idea who might be held responsible.

In this case why not have a long flue which projects well above the canopy for use when the canopy is up, and use the short flue only when it is down.

David

I think I agree David - whilst it looks nice I am not sure how well the chimney would draw at all, particularly in heavy damp misty conditions like we had last week. Too close I would say.

Ed to add - from an aesthetic point of view - how long before the canopy near chimney top became extremely discoloured?

Edited by MJG

Whilst we can cruise round our way with it up it is indeed the lack of visibility in the rain that stops us from doing so. Handy for keeping the wind off though when it's not raining and you can see out of it.

What you need is a windscreen woth proper windscreen wipers. No need to stand outside in the rain then, you can drive from the warmth and comfort of the "cockpit" :cheers:

What you need is a windscreen woth proper windscreen wipers. No need to stand outside in the rain then, you can drive from the warmth and comfort of the "cockpit" :cheers:

A few NB's at our marina have fitted wooden wheelhouses to them along with a screen and wipers and at the risk of getting flamed for saying it I actually don't think they look that bad, better than our pram hood does anyway.

I think you have missed the point.

I don't believe the original post is about how well fitted or sealed the canopy is.

Kinver are advertising, in a gentle way, that they have a canopy design for the steering position that does NOT cover the chimney (or vent), and has been passed as OK by a BSS examiner.

If I'm right, the thread would have been more accurately titled something like "Vents and boat covers Without covering vents.".

HTH

I see your point and I agree that yes, it's gentle advertising. But I really did want to let people know it was possible to have still have a pram even if you have a vent in an area that would normally be covered.

Hmmmmm. For domestic installations I'm pretty sure the building regulations require minimum clearances to flue terminals which this arrangement wouldn't meet. And since boat installations already have short flues compared with buildings, anything which could lead to increased risk of downdrafts doesn't look very clever to me!

A boat safety officer (whoever that may be) may say its fine, but if you fit a canopy like this around an existing flue, and a boat occupant dies of CO poisoning, I've a pretty good idea who might be held responsible.

In this case why not have a long flue which projects well above the canopy for use when the canopy is up, and use the short flue only when it is down.

David

I take this point fully on board, We shall contact the owners of this boat and inform them of the inherit dangers and also note the points to any future customers with such a problem. :cheers:

Well said that man, most people I know with pram canopies turn them into garden sheds, the worst cases are those on fat boats.

Phil